What will happen after the Battle of Ice?

Alyn Oakenfist

So given the various foreshadowing, like the fishing wholes, and the lamplight, as well as the precedent of the IRL Battle of Ice, it's pretty clear that the Freys will get slaughtered in the Ice. The question is, what will happen after. Defeating the Freys doesn't guarantee that Stannis will win against Bolton. It will give him a lot of leeway, in that it will encourage Nortmen desertion from Roose's camp, it will probably alleviate his food situation, from the food the Freys had with them and their horses, and it will give him opportunities to pull off some sneaky shit, but it will not guarantee his victory. So what do you think will happen after the battle of Ice?

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Battle of Ice

It reminds me a scene from Aleksandr Nevsky - Teutons throwing children into fire, and the scene reminds me of Melisandre, so if Mel=Stan=Teutons then Ramsay=Aleksandr. Ramsay wins. Badum! tssss...

1 minute ago, broken one said:

It reminds me a scene from Aleksandr Nevsky - Teutons throwing children into fire, and the scene reminds me of Melisandre, so if Mel=Stan=Teutons then Ramsay=Aleksandr. Ramsay wins. Badum! tssss...

Thing is, Stannis is the one with the local army (clansmen against Freys), the one who is defending, and the one who will withstand a cavalry charge against the frozen lake. Plus in terms of who is the bad guy in the ASOIAF Battle of Ice, it's Ramsay no questions asked.

6 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Thing is, Stannis is the one with the local army (clansmen against Freys), the one who is defending, and the one who will withstand a cavalry charge against the frozen lake. Plus in terms of who is the bad guy in the ASOIAF Battle of Ice, it's Ramsay no questions asked.

Who is attacking and who is defeding is relative thing. Stannis may be considered an invader and a zealot of some alien sect. As for the final results - nothing is pretty clear until we get the book. It's all just guessing.

What is the lamplight you have mentioned?

1 minute ago, broken one said:

Who is attacking and who is defeding is relative thing. Stannis may be considered an invader and a zealot of some alien sect. As for the final results - nothing is pretty clear until we get the book. It's all just guessing.

In terms of defending/attacking, I'm talking about the battle specifically. In that particular campaign, Stannis/Nevsky was the attacker, but in the battle of Ice they were both the defenders.

2 minutes ago, broken one said:

What is the lamplight you have mentioned?

Stannis is residing in a tower with a beacon on it. From the Theon preview chapter and the interrogation of the Maester it's pretty clear that the Freys and Boltons are aware of it. The prevalent theory is that Stannis, will light a fire on the island of one of the lakes, thus tricking the Freys who will believe to be charging at the village, into charging across the weakened ice and drowning in the lake.

Just now, Travis said:

Stan is will be beheaded by Brienne at the order of Lady Stoneheart. She (LSH) will remind Brienne what Stannis did to Renley (not that she will need reminded).

She was brought back by Rhllor magic, why would she have a problem with someone else doing his magic?

Pink Letter again. Depending on how true it is, we can speculate and make calculated guesses/assumptions. 

I say false. Stannis ain't dead yet 

Battle not started yet. 

Freys Valar.... 

Boltons soon. They'll flee South and die in the Red Wedding 2.0. Courtesy Rickon, Shaggy Dog and the loving Skagosi

Beating the Freys at the crofter's village won't necessarily win Stannis Winterfell. Even if they manage to finagle one victory out of the other, taking Winterfell won't mean much if Roose still holds the Dreadfort.  The Others' timetable may interfere as well.

Why are people like Manderly supporting Stannis?  Getting Rickon back is one thing, but Rickon isn't Manderly's lord, he's his king (yeah, ignoring Bran).  If Stannis wins the north- smashes and purges the Boltons (if possible) are they going to say 'thanks bud, but you're no king of mine' or are they planning on telling Rickon that he' going to have to swear to Stannis and do a Torrhen 2?  'Victory' in the north might just lead right into the next battle.

Stannis will once again suffer a humiliating defeat.  He will live though.  He is the first lie to be slain by Daenerys "Azor Ahai" Targaryen.  I will be generous to Stannis here and believe he will support her claim and her cause after she slays the lie.  I might even become a Stannis fan if he should do that.

The wall will be in very bad shape.  Jon's really bad decisions at the end will create disorder at the wall.  Bowen will do his best to organize but it may be too much for one man to clean up. 

54 minutes ago, Willam Stark said:

Stannis will fake his own death and crush the Bolton by surprise, there is a huge hint in the sample chapters of TWOW.

Isn't the by guile thing referring to the lamplight he will use to drown the Freys?

Or are you referring to another hint?

Victory for Stannis means to succeed in getting the Boltons out of Winterfell and taking control of the castle.  Holding on and repelling the attackers is enough for a Bolton victory.  The Boltons will manage to defend and Stannis will be forced to retreat.  Mance Rayder is the wildcard.  That Ramsay better stop playing games and execute him. 

26 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I said after the Battle of Ice, aka after the Freys drown

Oh shit my bad. Well if we take into consideration the pink letter than that means stannis faked his death because their is no way he would lose the battle of ice, or come anywhere close to being harmed in battle. Even if he did die, no way any survivors would be able to escape that ice with his sword.

So my guess is that he will send freys along with karstarks in disguise to open one of the gates for his army to breakthrough.

Correction it seems he already did it since the pink letter was already sent to Jon with news.

If Stannis gets his way, it'll be the Wall for all. He wants to get rid of people he can't trust and he will offer the defeated opponents the chance to take the black. Thus ridding himself of nuisances and reinforcing the Wall. Stannis still needs a Stark. He sent the fake one to Jon, who's too dead to point out her false identity. And that's if Alysane and Justin actually get there. No POV is currently with them. And only Mel can confirm her arrival to us. So, who could Stannis pick for that role? Still holding out for Jon? We can see Sansa in that seat at some point but I don't know how that could happen under Stannis. Perhaps LF will get involved? Eugh, it's too hazy.

I think that the big picture will be,
Appointing a lord/lady of WF.
Clearing the IB out of Tohrren Square.
The Wall.
And maybe garrisoning Moat Calin. 

Archived