Dungeons and Dragons and Table Top Gaming

Relic

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/531977-dungeons-dragons-tv-series-adds-showrunner-drew-crevello

The success of Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has a lot of fans eager to see what’s next for the franchise, which already has at least one big spinoff in the works. Since last year, Red Notice director Rawson Marshall Thurber has been developing his own live-action D&D TV series. And according to Deadline, Drew Crevello just signed on to act as showrunner and executive producer.

Most recently, Crevello served as co-showrunner of Apple TV+’s WeCrashed. But the upcoming D&D series marks his first time guiding a show’s creative trajectory on his own. Before he transitioned into writing and producing full-time, Crevello held executive positions at 20th Century Fox and WB. During his time at Fox, he served as a vice president of film production and helped develop Marvel movies like X-Men: First Class and Deadpool.

By success they must be meaning critical success, because the movie isn't a financial success yet. With a $150 million budget there is no way it breaks even for the studio from the cinematic release. Paramount might bank $100 for a $50 million cinematic deficit. I guess it's possible they can make up the difference with streaming. I want there to be another movie but I don't want to get my hopes up.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

By success they must be meaning critical success, because the movie isn't a financial success yet. With a $150 million budget there is no way it breaks even for the studio from the cinematic release. Paramount might bank $100 for a $50 million cinematic deficit. I guess it's possible they can make up the difference with streaming. I want there to be another movie but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Its at roughly 200 milion.

EDIT: Hmm my math was wrong, only 130.

Edited by Slurktan

14 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Its at roughly 200 milion.

EDIT: Hmm my math was wrong, only 130.

Almost $160M now with this weekend's numbers but still dropping at the usual rate rather than holding steady, which one hopes for when you get a small start with strong word of mouth. Still it may yet reach $100m in North America, which is some kind of milestone at least.

I hope I haven't just cursed it with modest optimism.

• 1 month later...

Just came back from a convention where I had my first ever pen & paper game with a group of strangers in a one-shot. It was a game of Pathfinder (which I can appreciate a lot considering I had bought Pathfinder/Starfinder a while ago in a Humble Bundle anyway). We were a party of four unarmed lvl. 1 goblins tasked to raid a village for weapons and chickens. Went actually quite well since we avoided fair combat at all cost, but instead were only sneaking around, setting traps and killing two guards in ambushes, raiding a barn in between. We were too stupid to find the chicken coop and bailed after getting the amount of weapons we needed to get, but success is success.

10 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Pathfinder 1 or 2? Two has a way smoother early level experience than 1.

Fairly sure 2. I guess if you say so, it may be the reason why we were even able to sneak around so successfully. Though the DM said this campaign usually ends with a Total Party Kill.

Yeah if you had the 3 action system that’s 2. I mean all low level modern d&d is far harder at low levels than mid/high. Mainly because one random hit can take you down far easier. That’s true for both 5e and both editions of pathfinder. But yeah glad you had a fun time and didn’t wipe.

18 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Yeah if you had the 3 action system that’s 2. I mean all low level modern d&d is far harder at low levels than mid/high. Mainly because one random hit can take you down far easier. That’s true for both 5e and both editions of pathfinder. But yeah glad you had a fun time and didn’t wipe.

Both our combat encounters were ambushes where we took out our opponent piling on them all together during a surprise turn, we didn't even get to roll initiative or whatever Pathfinder uses. We very nearly had a third encounter where a guard caught us setting up a trap, but I managed to divert him with Ghost Sound. Yes, I took the goblin wizard. Trying to get into the barn proved quite difficult when we noted it was locked and nobody picked the rogue. Our fighter lost two fingernails trying to pick the lock, causing much amusement. In the end the DM threw us a boon and let the cleric burn a hero point to get the hint that we could just dig our way in.

Edited by Toth

You may remember I said I'm getting a beginners D&D party together and I've finally found 4 players so we'll start in a week or two. I figured I would need a backup in the party when it comes to introducing new people to the game, so one of the players is one of my best friends that I've been playing with for 20 years (though he's been a DM more often than a player). Two of the other three have never played and the last one has played a couple of times 20 years ago so it's as if she's never played at all.

At the moment, party consists of gnome druid, halfling rogue, a fighter (most likely elf) and one TBD, based on the questions the player asked it seems that wizard or sorcerer is the most likely.

Can't wait to start. :D 

The entire Conan the Barbrian RPG line from Modiphius is on a clearance sale at DriveThru RPG.

That's 44 products for a grand total of $30, or about £25. PDFs only, obviously, but some physical books are also available on Modiphius' website for a steal.

At the end of June the entire product line will vanish as Monolith Games are taking over the licence, although infuriatingly they are some years away from actually releasing their own RPG.

As well as Modiphius own 2d20 rules, they have conversion rules for old-skool d20 (i.e. D&D 3E) if that's more your thing.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Has someone new gotten the Conan license?

Monolith has it. Their first plan is to make and release a board game, which will take 1-2 years, and then x number of years after that, they're hoping to release a new RPG. But between now and then, they don't want Modiphius continuing to sell their version of the game.

My guess is that since the product line was fully mature and indeed complete, in a way RPG lines very rarely are - with over 40 source books and expansions covering the entire world, more or less - the "new factor" had settled down and there were just a modest amount of sales per year, which meant it was not worth Modiphius' time to re-up the licence at the costs the Howard Estate demanded, especially bearing in mind the character goes into the public domain in five years' time.

Edited by Werthead

• 1 month later...
Just now, IlyaP said:

Touche.

(IRL, I'm not good with passive entertainment longer than the length of a movie.)

Ive watched dozens upon dozens of hours of critical role, but its usually on as a background on my second screen while im working on my primary. just sitting down and watching it would, indeed, be much too involved and time consuming, 

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

Ive watched dozens upon dozens of hours of critical role, but its usually on as a background on my second screen while im working on my primary. just sitting down and watching it would, indeed, be much too involved and time consuming, 

I wish I had your ability to do that. I have tried exactly that, and the end result is that I remember nothing. I have to give something my complete attention when I do something. One of my good friends watched ALL of the Arrowverse shows while playing and modding in Factorio, and it just amazed me. I wish I could do what the two of you can, but my brain doesn't seem to be wired that way, frustratingly and unfortunately.