WW84 (Spoilers)

Jaxom 1974

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this movie....but it won't be anytime soon.  But I love spoilers.  So if someone would please spoil the ending for me, it would be much appreciated.  I really want to know the deal with...

Spoiler

Steve coming back and if its really him and what are people's comments online about it not being Steve's body?????

1 minute ago, lady narcissa said:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this movie....but it won't be anytime soon.  But I love spoilers.  So if someone would please spoil the ending for me, it would be much appreciated.  I really want to know the deal with...

Reveal hidden contents

Steve coming back and if its really him and what are people's comments online about it not being Steve's body?????

Only 22 minutes in. I’ll pm if no one else answers first.

1 minute ago, lady narcissa said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Suffice it to say, he's back because of a wish power, though it is in another man's body.  I wasn't 100% clear why that was needed...but its a Money's Paw style deal and there is a catch and he doesn't make it until the end...

Thanks @Jaxom 1974 If you don't mind could you expand slightly?  I don't need a detailed plot description but can you...

Spoiler

Just clarify if it isn't Steve's body, is it somehow supposed to still be Steve?  Or is it someone pretending to be Steve?  Or just an illusion?  And is it cringey?  Or bittersweet?

12 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Thanks @Jaxom 1974 If you don't mind could you expand slightly?  I don't need a detailed plot description but can you...

Reveal hidden contents

Just clarify if it isn't Steve's body, is it somehow supposed to still be Steve?  Or is it someone pretending to be Steve?  Or just an illusion?  And is it cringey?  Or bittersweet?

Basically Steve just steals some 80's guy's body. Everyone else perceives him as this other guy Diana claims to only see Steve so we the audience also see Chris Pine.  

I haven't been able to finish the movie yet on HBOgo, I'll try again tomorrow. 

I watched it on HBO Max and felt underwhelmed.

The visuals looked sub-par to most big movies we got in recent years. The plot wasn't always coherent. I thought it started well, but I'm not sure that the lesson that Antiope tried to teach young Dianna was ever applied later. It's definitely not better than the first movie, though Maxwell Lord worked a bit better than Ares at the end. I still liked Gadot as WW.

I suppose we can say this is the movie that we needed at this time, with its strong positive message at the end, also fitting with the Holidays. But this movie was supposed to come early summer, and it was practically done before the pandemic.

But the biggest miss for me was the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer got lazy. The first movie had a high tempo kick-ass music. This one, less so. For a movie that touted the 80s setting, with the trailers relying heavily on synthwave music, there was way more orchestra than anything else. And that could have been ok if it at least felt original, but it didn't. In fact it wasn't all original. In the pivotal aerial scene near the end, they used parts of the iconic "Adagio in D Minor" from Sunshine by John Murphy.

And the part with how Steve comes back is going to cause debate. I thought it was the wrong choice, and if nuclear missiles can appear out of thin air, ancient walls rise up without warning, then a dead guy doesn't need to hijack the body of a living one.

37 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Reveal hidden contents

RumHam basically covered it. 

Thanks.

I've seen very mixed comments on this which has somewhat tempered my hopes for this.  It's too bad because the initial trailer was fantastic and had me very excited...most especially with the use of New Order.  I know trailer music is rarely if ever in the actual movie but it sounds like there is a disappointing lack of 80s music in this movie which seems like a huge missed opportunity.

I'll still see it someday.

To steal a line from someone else, 'surprisingly little Wonder Woman in this Wonder Woman film'.

I'm not hiding spoilers in a thread marked spoilers...

I liked it but didn't love it like the first one. For a movie set in the 80's, where was the music? We got a few seconds a FGTH song. That was it? I was fine with the general plot device. I was not fine with the Cheetah CGI or the 47 seconds you get of her before she's gone while other scenes get more time for no real reason. And Asteria's fancy golden suit that was the basis of the film's marketing was a letdown, again because of time and flimsiness.

BUT I was teary during the mid credits scene. LOVED it and the nod to the past. 

It was way too long and gave short shrift to a few plot points that should have had more development and screen time. I thought Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal were pretty great. I like Gal Gadot as WW and I think Chris Pine is the best Chris so I was happy to have him back, no matter the reason. I think Patty Jenkins is the bees knees and it's really the writing that is the problem here. The story was just meh. Would it have felt as boring in a theater? Guess I'll never know. 

What a mess of a movie. Feels like they figured they could just ride Gadot’s star power and not worry about minor details like, I don’t know, halfway decent writing or making any kind of sense. The first Wonder Woman was only 2/3 of a good movie, and this one doesn’t even come close to that. Also, for all the hype about this being an 80s extravaganza, aside from one scene where Chris Pine tries on some clothes, this could have been set in 2020. 

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

What a mess of a movie. Feels like they figured they could just ride Gadot’s star power and not worry about minor details like, I don’t know, halfway decent writing or making any kind of sense. The first Wonder Woman was only 2/3 of a good movie, and this one doesn’t even come close to that. Also, for all the hype about this being an 80s extravaganza, aside from one scene where Chris Pine tries on some clothes, this could have been set in 2020. 

Why do you hate life so?

10 hours ago, kairparavel said:

For a movie set in the 80's, where was the music? We got a few seconds a FGTH song. That was it?

I think the 80's setting was more about not contradicting the first movie and Batman v. Superman. In the 80's she can take out a few security cameras with her tiara and that's that, she's a whisper. 

I thought it was weak that the dreamstone was held in a jewelry story in a mall just so they could have their 80's mall setpiece. There's definitely a previous draft of the script where Wiig's character finds the thing in an archeological dig. 

9 hours ago, Myshkin said:

It's funny how people went from hating the casting choice to Gadot becoming a huge star. 

I really don't know what to make of the movie, so I'll have to watch it again, but I'm willing to give it some breaks due to the conditions it was shot and produced in. The first movie is actually overrated IMO, but the two leads made up for some of its shortcomings. It wasn't as effective the second go around. They had some fun with the clothing and pop culture, but @kairparavel is right, they really missed out on the music. Overall it's still better than what a lot of DC puts out, put still, most will find it to be a letdown. 

Gadot was perfectly cast in her role in Death on the Nile though, and I'm excited to see it whenever it comes out. 

Also what was the point of the opening scene of the movie? It was cool to look at, but didn't connect to anything in the story. Did they just sign all of those actors on for the sequel, only to suddenly realize after writing the script, that they had no place for them in the story?

Archived