Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

This probably isn't the best place to post this but I feel like if I start a thread now it'll get archived long before the show comes out:

‘The Wire’s David Simon & George Pelecanos Set ‘We Own This City’ HBO Limited Series About Baltimore Police Corruption

Before anyone gets too excited it is not a spin-off of The Wire. 

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Next up was Rob Roy. I had seen this films once many years before and already greatly appreciated it back then. Revisiting it after more than ten years however, I'm struck by just how great this film is. It truly is a tragedy that this films is so often overshadowed by the far shallower Braveheart. The only place where you usually see praise for Rob Roy pop up is when people discuss the sword fights in it.

:agree:  I have re-watched this film several times.  More than a bit different from Walter Scott's 1817 Romance! 

However, there are many similarities between the villains and heroes of the Rob Roy film (1995) and Diana Gabaldon's first Outlander novel (1993).

~~~~~~~

DS's new one concerning Baltimore police corruption isn't a spin-off of Homicide or The Corner either, anymore than it is of The Wire.  It's contemporary Baltimore.  However, I suppose, in a very large sense, the contemporary Baltimore police force is a continuation of the previous Baltimore eras' policing in more ways than one. Of, for that matter, contemporary policing everywhere in the USA. 

So I’m catching up with 2 comedy shows, because I feel like I should 

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia is a show that so many people seem to love but has totally passed me by. I’ve struggled to get on board with it for so long because even though I know everyone on it is meant to be unpleasant I just couldn’t bare the relentless screeching throughout.

But I am now 6 seasons in and must enjoy it. I do appreciate how mean spirited it is and how little it gives a crap about limits. It has also improved a great deal over time. Still don’t get it’s cult like status but I do at least like it.

On the other hand Peep Show is something I am a massive fan of.. and yet have never seen much further than the 3rd series. I’ve watched the first 2 so many times on DVD but for some reasons couldn’t get past that 3rd series.

Going back I’m reminded why. The end of that season just seems like a real disappointment , and a bit lazy. Too many contrivances, too many things happening for cheap laughs, a lack of integrity in the characters they’d established. Series 4 seems worse in some ways, things happen, it doesn’t really feel like the same Mark and Jeremy at times, they seem angrier, like they are written by someone else.

I might give up and cherish my memories on that one

@Heartofice it's always sunny is one of the 3 greatest US sitcoms of all time. Along with Parks and Rec and Schitts Creek. But it can be hard work as it has such massive highs and some really weak episodes.

For me, once you get to season 2 when Frank arrives the dynamic becomes perfect. 

Rob Roy has a great cast, though for my money Tim Roth's villainous Archie is just totally mesmerizing and makes that movie. Without his sneering, foppish awfulness, it'd lose a lot. But Brian Cox, Jessica Lange, John Hurt, and of course Liam Neeson.... great cast.

While it's a bit of a shame that, yes, mostly people talk about it for the final duel, it really must be said it's one of the finest swordfights ever put to film.

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

@Heartofice it's always sunny is one of the 3 greatest US sitcoms of all time. Along with Parks and Rec and Schitts Creek. But it can be hard work as it has such massive highs and some really weak episodes.

I'd definitely put Arrested Development and 30 Rock in their company.  Maybe even Community.  And I haven't seen Schitts Creek yet.  Plus then there are the cartoons, which I tend to put in a different category.  But yeah.  I think Always Sunny has gone on way too long, but it had a pretty great run there for awhile.  Did recently catch up on the last few seasons which weren't bad, but it's really redundant now for the most part.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

For me, once you get to season 2 when Frank arrives the dynamic becomes perfect. 

Yeah that is a massive statement! Especially as I didn’t think you even liked Schitts Creek that much? 

I did like it.. but it’s not even close. And then I really thought Parcs and Rec had maybe 2 decent seasons.

Anyway, I would have thought Seinfeld would have to be in there.

Watched Made You Look, a documentary now on Netflix about a notorious art forgery scandal that took down the 165-year-old art dealership Knoedler's. It was such a too-good-to-be-true situation that the dealership's director, Ann Freedman, found herself in -- this woman no one knew trickling in previously-unknown works of some of the greatest abstract expressionists -- Rothko, Pollock, De Kooning, Motherwell -- with little provenance. Over $80 million in fraudulent sales. The documentary is focused on how people could have been taken in... and whether, in truth, some of them were really taken in and not just choosing to pretend they were taken in.

The best bit is at the end, when a lawyer for one of the parties discusses the fact that his office features a number of the forgeries that were once hailed as multi-million dollar works of art.

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah that is a massive statement! Especially as I didn’t think you even liked Schitts Creek that much? 

I did like it.. but it’s not even close. And then I really thought Parcs and Rec had maybe 2 decent seasons.

Anyway, I would have thought Seinfeld would have to be in there.

I think my initial 'its ok' about schitts creek was after first season. But it grew and grew. 

Never loved Seinfeld, which is weird, because it ticket every humour box for me, it just didnt click. 

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'd definitely put Arrested Development and 30 Rock in their company.  Maybe even Community.  And I haven't seen Schitts Creek yet.  Plus then there are the cartoons, which I tend to put in a different category.  But yeah.  I think Always Sunny has gone on way too long, but it had a pretty great run there for awhile.  Did recently catch up on the last few seasons which weren't bad, but it's really redundant now for the most part.

The first three seasons of Arrested Development are, in my opinion, the best sitcom run of all time.  Just amazing writing that had near constant callbacks and there's so much stuff hidden in seemingly every scene and the jokes fly by so quickly that you catch new things each time you rewatch it.  The real question is how much we penalize the show for the terrible fourth and fifth seasons.  I personally just like to pretend they don't exist, and Arrested Development effectively ended after three incredible seasons the way the gods intended.

Although the fourth season at least gave us the Tobias To Catch a Predator scene...

I'd definitely have Curb Your Enthusiasm and Always Sunny in my top five as well.  Would have to think about the other two.

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

The first three seasons of Arrested Development are, in my opinion, the best sitcom run of all time.

Agreed.  I definitely separate its return from the original run in my headcanon.

I refuse to even watch season 4 of AD. I won’t let it spoil my memories.

Yeah that goes in my top 3, probably that, Seinfeld and the good seasons of Simpsons.

Was trying to think of a US sitcom that maintained high quality all the way through. Seinfeld got better and maybe dipped a bit at the end.

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I refuse to even watch season 4 of AD. I won’t let it spoil my memories.

Yeah that goes in my top 3, probably that, Seinfeld and the good seasons of Simpsons.

Was trying to think of a US sitcom that maintained high quality all the way through. Seinfeld got better and maybe dipped a bit at the end.

The first ten or so seasons of The Simpsons were incredible.  I might be being a little generous there, but it's hard to remember when exactly the bad started to outweigh the good because the show has been on for basically my entire life.

I love the first three seasons of AD but by the end the callbacks are almost exhausting. I find it hard to binge the show. 

Always Sunny has been in decline for a while now but even a mediocre episode will usually have at least one dialogue exchange that slays me. Usually Charlie failing to understand something, like that the person they're talking about is him. It's crazy to me that it's the longest running live action sitcom. 

@Heartofice I don't suppose you're watching the DVDs? If you're streaming it the ninth episode of Season Six will be missing because it was one of three episodes where they did blackface. It's just especially noticeable because it's the second half of a two-parter. 

I really wish they'd fix that with Sunny and 30 Rock. Delete the scenes featuring blackface if you must but not the entire episodes.

Though I'd rather they restore the episodes entirely with a disclaimer or something. Frank's confusion over whether James Earl Jones is really black because Darth Vader is white is one of those exchanges that cracks me up every time.

Ooh, top three American sitcoms: well, Seinfeld, 30 Rock and Everybody Loves Raymond ...

No I’m kidding, not sure of the third one. Scrubs and Frasier are personal favourites but they’re not that good. Curb and Louie are very good but not favourites. Also love P and R and the Office (or the American Office as it’s known over here).

ok, I know, it’s MASH. 30 Rock, Seinfeld, MASH. You got to see my brain work.

None of these is as good as Blackadder or Father Ted of course.

You're the Worst probably deserves at least an honorable mention for managing to juggle realistic depictions of various forms of mental illness while also being consistently funny.  It also stuck the landing.

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Always Sunny has been in decline for a while now but even a mediocre episode will usually have at least one dialogue exchange that slays me. Usually Charlie failing to understand something, like that the person they're talking about is him.

Charlie Kelly is almost certainly my favorite sitcom character ever.

Archived