Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Both one of the greatest scenes ever and among the hardest to explain to someone at work who has never scene it. 

He almost got in big trouble for those business cards. 

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ford vs Ferrari

streaming on HBO MAX currently.

Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Joe Bernthal and Josh Lucas all do a good job. I enjoyed the story, bittersweet with the triumphs.

Took my Dad to see that at the big cinema plex in the before days. Terrific film to watch on a big screen with the sound loud enough to feel the engine roar. Great cinema,  solid movie.

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

I love the first three seasons of AD but by the end the callbacks are almost exhausting. I find it hard to binge the show. 

Always Sunny has been in decline for a while now but even a mediocre episode will usually have at least one dialogue exchange that slays me. Usually Charlie failing to understand something, like that the person they're talking about is him. It's crazy to me that it's the longest running live action sitcom. 

@Heartofice I don't suppose you're watching the DVDs? If you're streaming it the ninth episode of Season Six will be missing because it was one of three episodes where they did blackface. It's just especially noticeable because it's the second half of a two-parter. 

I really wish they'd fix that with Sunny and 30 Rock. Delete the scenes featuring blackface if you must but not the entire episodes.

Though I'd rather they restore the episodes entirely with a disclaimer or something. Frank's confusion over whether James Earl Jones is really black because Darth Vader is white is one of those exchanges that cracks me up every time.

Isn’t Always Sunny full of racist stuff anyway? I mean they often say pretty offensive things, and then they will turn around and go ‘oh that’s pretty racist’

Halfway through Season 2 of The Americans. I’d heard good things about it and they’re all on Prime so I figured I’d start. It’s good, not quite great yet. I don’t know if it gets a lot better in certain seasons? I’m finding this season slightly odd in terms of what we get exposition about (mid season 2 spoilers):

Spoiler

Phillip buying a new car merited several scenes building up to it: he’s talking about a car. Now he’s showing his son a newspaper ad about a car. Talking about getting a car. OK, now he’s bought a car. All this across multiple episodes. Meanwhile, the Russian double agent who’s sleeping with FBI neighbour? Suddenly she’s sleeping with the KGB guy, who I thought she didn’t like. Out of nowhere. 

It feels a bit trapped between standard network television and truly great drama, like it’s not quite sure what kind of show it is.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Isn’t Always Sunny full of racist stuff anyway? I mean they often say pretty offensive things, and then they will turn around and go ‘oh that’s pretty racist’

Yeah. I know Charlie says the N-word at least twice and they don't even bleep that. But last year There was a big push to remove episodes of TV featuring blackface regardless of the context. (it was actually five always sunny episodes, apparently.)

The only show I can think of that kept their blackface scene with a disclaimer is Mad Men. Presumably because it's set in the 50's and 60's. 

I'm all for getting rid of racism, but getting rid of depictions of racism in television seems misguided. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah. I know Charlie says the N-word at least twice and they don't even bleep that. But last year There was a big push to remove episodes of TV featuring blackface regardless of the context. (it was actually five always sunny episodes, apparently.)

The only show I can think of that kept their blackface scene with a disclaimer is Mad Men. Presumably because it's set in the 50's and 60's. 

I'm all for getting rid of racism, but getting rid of depictions of racism in television seems misguided. 

Yeah I tend to agree, it’s just I find it odd that it’s so selective. I think I’ve seen the blackface bit on YouTube and it’s basically the same sort of joke where they acknowledge it’s wrong. So if you are going to take the line that the blackface is wrong then you also need to cut out all the racist stuff they say in the show. Plus you need to ban South Park completely.

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Context is key.  Legitimate blackface in which a white character wears makeup in order to play a black character is not okay.  Poking fun at people using blackface in a misguided manner like on Always Sunny or Tropic Thunder is fine in my opinion.  Neither of those examples portrays blackface as okay.  In one, the characters doing it are stupid and we know they're all varying degrees of racist.  In the other, it's lambasting Hollywood's history of racism and also method acting. 

I've been watching Terriers for the first time after seeing it talked up on the internet for a while. It's entertaining so far.

I also watched the first episode of Big Sky which for most of the time was sort of a combination of a soap and a Criminal Minds episode that I wasn't paying too much attention to. Although

Spoiler

Ryan Phillipe getting his brains blown out all over the car window at the end was a bit of a wtf moment.

16 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I'm not watching the Oprah interview, but saw this on twitter and figured people on this board would get a kick out of it:

His mom left him 'eff you' money that he used to eff you. Was there ever anything more appropriate?  Good for her and good for him.

Belatedly, it occurs, is this were the set-up fantasy YA series plot for a scion of royalty who is not even a prince, that his parents walked out of the royal family due to racial and other cruelties, this would be viewed as brave and romantic, proving the young protagonist is indeed someone to pull for, because he had good parents.

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Sigh, that damn interview even invades my beloved Westeros. Is there no piece in this life from the antics of a bunch of spoiled aristocrats. 

That's why they are called the ruling class, Son!

9 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Halfway through Season 2 of The Americans. I’d heard good things about it and they’re all on Prime so I figured I’d start. It’s good, not quite great yet. I don’t know if it gets a lot better in certain seasons? I’m finding this season slightly odd in terms of what we get exposition about (mid season 2 spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

Phillip buying a new car merited several scenes building up to it: he’s talking about a car. Now he’s showing his son a newspaper ad about a car. Talking about getting a car. OK, now he’s bought a car. All this across multiple episodes. Meanwhile, the Russian double agent who’s sleeping with FBI neighbour? Suddenly she’s sleeping with the KGB guy, who I thought she didn’t like. Out of nowhere. 

It feels a bit trapped between standard network television and truly great drama, like it’s not quite sure what kind of show it is.

Yeah I'm still in the early parts of S4 of The Americans but something about it doesn't compel me to rush back to it immediately. I will eventually get back to it given the rave reviews here and I'm all for a great series finale but perhaps my expectations were too high. Interestingly, I just started Counterpart on Prime and it reminds me so much of The Americans even beyond being a cloak and dagger spy series with an Eastern European flavor. I suspect my opinion of The Americans will be further influenced by Counterpart and I'm wondering if I should pause my resumption of the series until some time has passed to prevent unfair comparisons.

Archived