Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

2 hours ago, john said:

Ah, well, that’s a problem with me then. Tragically I’ve never seen it.

Definietly a tragedy, and something you should correct!

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Escape from New York is simply amazing. It's campy as hell, but if you buy into the premise, you'll love it. Russell is in his element, the pacing is really good and the level of detail the sets have is impressive. Might have to watch The Thing tonight to enjoy another entry in this actor-director pairing. Also, I had never heard of Adrienne Barbeau before, but damn. 

The Thing is Carpenter's best film, followed by Halloween. And in the same sort of awesome vein as Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China, let me suggest Assault on Precinct 13 and They Live

The Man in the Iron Mask really holds up in my opinion. Strong cast, good sets and costumes and the plot does actually make a lot of sense. I'm curious why it's largely forgotten by so many. Perhaps it was because of Leo's performances, but I think they were solid and showed the range he had that would led him to such a great career.

I think it feels a bit creaky. It's kind of old-fashioned and solid, but it lacks ... something, I don't know what. As I said, I think it ends up as being less than the sum of its parts. (I also think Gabriel Byrne's D'Artagnan is the real beating heart of the film, but the movie spends too much time on Leonardo DiCaprio's dual role -- which he's perfectly fine in, but neither character is as richly wrought as the romantic, heroic Musketeer).

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

The Fog,

This is another Carpenter film, BTW, @Tywin et al.. Also one of his best.

Got to add my love for John Carpenter's The Thing. Everything about this movie is awesome. From the practical effects, through to the actors' performances, the music, and the cinematography. 

Agree with Ran. This is easily Carpenter's best work, and considering when it was made, it stands up like a motherfucker. 

Yet to see Burn After Reading. I don't know why. I should see if it's available somewhere. But yeah, Big Lebowski can easily just be put on repeat. I feel like Raising Arizona has the same energy to it. And O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Re: Carpenter, I might as well mention his other two classic horror films: Prince of Darkness and Christine (which is a Stephen King adaptation, and one of the better ones at that)

Not horror, but I have a nostalgic fondness for The Philadelphia Experiment, starring Michael Paré and Nancy Allen. It's not very good but it was such a regular re-run on HBO or maybe TBS or something, I saw it  multiple times when I was a kid and teenager.

Speaking of Nancy Allen, have you seen Robocop, @Tywin et al.? The original, with Peter Weller, not the new one. Pretty sure you will enjoy it. (Allen is the female lead in the film)

17 hours ago, Ran said:

The Thing is Carpenter's best film, followed by Halloween. And in the same sort of awesome vein as Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China, let me suggest Assault on Precinct 13 and They Live

I love They Live the most, but The Thing is probably his best work even though most would say Halloween. Can't say I've heard of Assault on Precinct 13. I'll also have to check out The Fog. On my list to do today is watch a movie I've never seen anyways, lol.

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

The Big Lebowski is probably the most re-watchable movie I've ever seen. I didn't even really like it the first time I saw it. 

I did not like it all the first few times I saw it, but then again, I believe each was before I was a teenager. Watched it with some friends in college and have loved it ever since. 

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Yet to see Burn After Reading. I don't know why. I should see if it's available somewhere.

Speaking of Nancy Allen, have you seen Robocop, @Tywin et al.? The original, with Peter Weller, not the new one. Pretty sure you will enjoy it. (Allen is the female lead in the film)

Burn After Reading is really hit or miss for most people. I didn't like it, but I know a lot of people who did. And yes I've seen the original Robocop. Not my first go-to 80's action film, but I'd watch it if someone put it on. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Re: Carpenter, I might as well mention his other two classic horror films: Prince of Darkness and Christine (which is a Stephen King adaptation, and one of the better ones at that)

I have areal soft spot for Christine, it's way better than a movie about a murderous car has any right to be.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't say I've heard of Assault on Precinct 13.

It's really good.  They even did a lackluster remake!

They Live, btw, made Roddy Piper a national treasure.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Burn After Reading is really hit or miss for most people. I didn't like it, but I know a lot of people who did.

IMO, Burn After Reading is a good - not great - Coen brothers flick.  Which considering the scale is obviously pretty good overall.  It's clearly better than some of their weakest offerings, but definitely not up there with the classics.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's really good.  They even did a lackluster remake!

I'll watch this tonight if I can get it.

IMO, Burn After Reading is a good - not great - Coen brothers flick.  Which considering the scale is obviously pretty good overall.  It's clearly better than some of their weakest offerings, but definitely not up there with the classics.

I just think it's kind of boring, and the plot is ridiculous. There's some good acting and technical work, but I can't see myself going out of my way to see it again. 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I have to confess, I don't really get the affection for the big lebowski. 

Have you seen it more than once? I only ask because I felt the same way the first time I saw it. I think I was expecting it to be something else. I don't know that I laughed once. Now I find it hilarious. I'm cracking up just remembering some of the lines and the scene where he does the pencil rubbing thing to get information. 

"the bulk of the series, dude." 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Have you seen it more than once? I only ask because I felt the same way the first time I saw it. I think I was expecting it to be something else. I don't know that I laughed once. Now I find it hilarious. I'm cracking up just remembering some of the lines and the scene where he does the pencil rubbing thing to get information. 

No, only once.  Given its cult status, I guess it deserves a rewatch at some point.

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just think it's kind of boring, and the plot is ridiculous. There's some good acting and technical work, but I can't see myself going out of my way to see it again. 

It does have some classic JK Simmons in it, but overall I agree that it's not one of their best.

I think Raising Arizona might be my most rewatchable Coen Brothers movie.

The other thing about The Big Lebowski is it becomes funnier if you've seen The Big Sleep.

Not that anyone needs a reason to see The Big Sleep, which is obviously an incredible movie in its own right, with some of the best, snappiest dialogue ever.

Finished Deadwood S3 last night and then watched the movie. The movie was probably a bit ambitious as I started it at 1 am, half in the bag, but was on a roll burning through the last 4 eps. Shoulda saved it for tonight. Oh well. 

Way late to the game here but season 3 ended with no finality to it so I understand years later how people in the moment had to be pissed when it wasn't renewed for a fourth season. I read that they wanted Milch to shorten the fourth season and he wasn't having it. The person that seemed the most pissed about it was Olyphant from what I read. Seems like he has a sour relationship with HBO over it. Can't blame him. Lena Dunham's tits got more seasons than Deadwood. 

The friction that Hearst's presence in camp added in the third season made it the most enjoyable season for me. Really enjoyed watching the camp's elders band together against a common enemy. Hearst calling Merrick a big fucking turtle had me in tears. 

Brian Cox is awesome but I found the theater crew boring and irrelevant. Added nothing to the show for me but I suppose Milch may have had something in store for them if the show went on. 

As for the movie.... Overall I enjoyed it. The best thing about the show is the ensemble, and when this story goes to movie format it suffers in that regard due to the lack of time. 12 hours per season shrinks to a 2 hour movie. You miss hearing Merrick ramble about some new device he just received, or EB nosing around trying to feel important. I'm glad the show got a send off, just a shame it wasn't another 12 episode season. 

Damn it took me way too long to watch this. Easy top 5 show. 

18 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

HOW????  She's in Swamp Thing, Cannonball Run, The Fog, Creepshow, Carnivale, Sons of Anarchy...

Missed this. I've literally seen none of those projects. 

Assault on Precinct 13 is pretty good. Fell asleep the first time through, but just finished it this morning. I'll probably watch The Fog in a bit because it's too early to start the day, but not early enough to get it going for a Sunday. Fucking DST...... 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah I think this was my opinion as well. I saw it in theatres and was mostly quite bored throughout. I think maybe it was about the 3rd or 4th rewatch where I really started to appreciate it. Like a lot of Coens brothers movies, the plot isn't what makes it stand out, and can be hard to stay focused on due to its non traditional nature. An extreme example of that is A Serious Man which I absolutely hated walking out, but I kind of get now.

Archived