College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

Here we go again…

“Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.”

I thought the expansion of the CFP might quash any desire to shuffle conferences again; but sounds like the big boys of the BIG XII are looking at the money of the SEC.

I hate to see it for a team like Kansas who has a great basketball program, but is likely to be left out in the cold if there is any football focused realignment. @RedEyedGhost

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

Maybe it's time to pull the band aid off and just realign the power football schools entirely, similar to NFL and leave them set?  A football only grouping. 

I think that would make a lot of sense.  I know that during the last round of shuffling, I thought for sure we were headed to four 16 team conferences.  

It's hard to really understand why Texas and Oklahoma would even want into the SEC.  As it is, one of those teams wins the Big 12 virtually every year.  I went back and looked at the standings, since 2000 Oklahoma has actually won the Big 12 fourteen times.  Texas has won it just twice and none since 2005.  I knew Texas was going through a rough period, but that is surprisingly awful. 

I'm sure that this is about money, but to me that money grab is short sighted.  Being a big fish in the Big 12 seems vastly preferable long term than being an also-ran in the SEC.  Is this really going to help recruiting?  I doubt it.  Will it give them a cleaner path to a national title?  Hard to see how it would.  Stadium is sold out either way, so I assume this is about TV rights.  But Texas and OU will have less control over the ship in the SEC.  A project like the Longhorn Network might not have even been possible (although I don't know if that is actually making money or not). 

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think that would make a lot of sense.  I know that during the last round of shuffling, I thought for sure we were headed to four 16 team conferences.  

I think this is where it eventually will go, with the SEC and Big 10 keeping their status. Not sure what happens with the other three, but I'd assume the Pac 12 would also remain.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I'm sure that this is about money, but to me that money grab is short sighted.  Being a big fish in the Big 12 seems vastly preferable long term than being an also-ran in the SEC.  Is this really going to help recruiting?  I doubt it.  Will it give them a cleaner path to a national title?  Hard to see how it would.  Stadium is sold out either way, so I assume this is about TV rights.  But Texas and OU will have less control over the ship in the SEC.  A project like the Longhorn Network might not have even been possible (although I don't know if that is actually making money or not). 

Of course it's about the money. The SEC's TV deal will be up soon and they want a cut of it. If those two schools join the conference, the SEC will overtake the Big 10 as having the largest TV rights deal. It also will get the two schools better time slots and more big games. Right now there isn't much clamor for Big 12 games outside of the conference.

Also, I wouldn't presume either school prioritizes winning a title over revenue increases. Texas has already clearly demonstrated they don't care anymore.

This is a super revealing look at the behind the scenes machinations dictating how we got here. Listen to the first part of the pod with John Skipper, the former president of ESPN who negotiated a lot of the deals that led us to where we are now:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vRVNQMjI5ODU0MzMxMg/episode/YjI3M2FjMzQtZDRmMC0xMWViLWIzZGMtOTc3MDljNWE1YWZk?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwiGxaSCp4fyAhXKKs0KHWdCBQcQjrkEegQIAhAL&ep=6

• 5 weeks later...

Big 12 selects 4 new schools to join.

BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, and Central Florida.  I had thought they might go Memphis instead of Central Florida, but I'm sure the TV market is much stronger taking CFU.

Honestly, all due respect to the west coasters on this board, but I think adding those four makes the Big XII a better football conference than the PAC12.

And from a basketball standpoint, I think it gives the Kansas @RedEyedGhosts and the WVU Fightin @S Johns some good rivals.  You take Cincy/Houston/Kansas/Baylor/WVU and I really believe you have the makings of one of the best basketball conferences in the country.

I like it.

44 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Penn State vs Wisconsin has certainly been a barn burner.

Old school Big10 defensive battle!!!

Speaking of Penn State… their back up QB transferred to Kentucky and is approaching 400 yards passing as we start the fourth quarter.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Old school Big10 defensive battle!!!

Speaking of Penn State… their back up QB transferred to Kentucky and is approaching 400 yards passing as we start the fourth quarter.

I hope the incoming Penn St. upset doesn't make your traitor son cry. 

Archived