UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

On a lighter (?) note, my news feed every day this week has been filled with stories from the UK about anger and fury being directed at Great British Bake-off co-judge Prue for daring, the bloody nerve of that obnoxious 80-year old, for saying “that biscuit is so good it’s worth the calories!”

How insensitive of her! How dare she suggest people may gain weight by eating baked goods! How dare she be a judge on the show if calories bother her? She’s triggering people! Fire her!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/22/former-mp-frank-field-reveals-he-is-dying-at-euthanasia-bill-reading

Former MP Frank Field reveals he is dying at assisted dying bill reading

Birkenhead peer says he changed his mind after seeing a friend die of cancer in statement read in Lords.

Frank Field, the former Labour MP for Birkenhead, has revealed that he is terminally ill as he backed a law that would allow assisted dying.

Field, 79, represented the Merseyside constituency for almost 40 years, before forming his own party and losing the seat in the 2019 general election. He was later made a crossbench peer, taking on the title Lord Field of Birkenhead.

ARTICLE CONTINUES...

Personally, I think it's a no brainer that assisted dying will be legalised at some point, it's just a matter of "when", not "if".
In the mean-time, we continue to force people to live in barbaric pain, and with conditions that would be considered inhumane for an animal.

Quite honestly, the argument was put to bed a decade ago.

STP's 2 big documentaries in 2009 (Alzheimers) and 2011 (Euthanasia) sandwhiched my Grandfather's death - where he, and we, had to fight the medical staff to allow him to refuse life-prolonging medication without refusing pain relief.
He tried refusing to eat - so they intubated him.
He then refused medications, so they said it was all or nothing; we had to get a court order to allow him to chose which medications to take.

My parents are entering their 80s, and starting to make living wills.

My mother in law died 6 days ago with Pancreatic Cancer.

I have an alzheiner's patient who I'm not allowed to treat at the moment as they were too late sorting medical guardianship; so there's currently no-one to consent for me (though this should be sorted soon)

I got as far as STP asking "Do you have happy memories?" and following the answer with "Because I don't, they're being eaten away" - and had to stop the video.

13 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

That's right, why deliver something to your neighbours when you can instead travel to the other side of the world to deliver something! Very brainly!

Given the negligible benefit to the UK economy that all 3 pacific trade deals are projected to deliver, I think delivery to the nearest neighbour is still largely what's on the cards. It looks to be more displacing reliance on the EU for supply and diversifying to other markets for products and services within the UK.

There is rather an international relations school of thought that the UK is making these deals to become more influential in the region as a counter punch to China. New Zealand in particular has a massive economic reliance on China having become, since the implementation of our FTA our largest market for goods export. Export to China alone is almost equal to exports to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th largest markets (Aus + USA + EU (incl UK)). One way to become more politically influential is to become a more valued customer. Also our trade balance with China is hugely positive while our trade balance with the EU is almost as hugely negative. It may be ascribing a bit more foreign policy savvy to the Tory government than they deserve, but I'm just saying that there is a school of thought out there in the FP circles. Also, while the PM, FM and TM might be total lightweights when it comes to foreign relations, the UK foreign office will have some very astute geopolitical strategic thinkers who may be bending the ear of Boris and Liz.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Its notable these trade deals are in the pacific region, and its pretty clear that there is a plan to pivot towards asia and high growth economies and away from over reliance on very low growth economies like the EU.

That trope again. :rolleyes:

To simplify it for the Torygraph readers here.

If you have a large economy (let's say 200 World trade units in size (ficitious metric but again, we are dumbing it down for Telegraph readers)) on the one hand, and a smaller economy (of 20 World trade units).

Now both economies grow by 2 world trade units, (big one from 200 to 202) smaller one (20 to 22), then the big economy has grown by 1% while the other one had a growth of 10%.

Sure one economy has grown more dynamically, but it didn't change which economy is bigger, or alter the dynamics that much.

Next question would be what do those economies produce and what do they need.

NZ is heavily producing food (mainly lamb). The UK farmers won't be happy with the trade deal. The UK is good at producing services (finance and legal). Judging by @The Anti-Targ description of what transpired (and I have no reason to doubt it), The New Zealanders must have laughed on their way to the proverbial bank.

*typo

I wasn't directly involved with SPS negotiations, but close colleagues and university classmates were. So I got direct insight into how hard the UK trade negotiators were pushing and all credit should be given to them for doing what you would expect from them.

32 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If you have a large economy (let's say 200 World trade units in size (ficitious metric but again, we are dumbing it down for Telegraph readers)) on the one hand, and a smaller economy (of 20 World trade units).

Now both economies grow by 2 world trade units, (big one from 200 to 202) smaller one (20 to 22), then the big economy has grown by 2% while the other one had a growth of 10%.

Sure one economy has grown more dynamically, but it didn't change which economy is bigger, or alter the dynamics that much.

NZ is heavily producing food (mainly lamb). The UK farmers won't be happy with the trade deal. The UK is good at producing services (finance and legal). Judging by @The Anti-Targ description of what transpired (and I have no reason to doubt it), The New Zealanders must have laughed on their way to the proverbial bank.

I agree the UK farmers won't be happy, but really they have a lot more to be unhappy about existentially than the increased imports of NZ food into the UK, and even Aus. Of course the heavily skewed deal that Aus and NZ have got may pale into insignificance compared to what the USA will extract.

Since you mention services, interestingly, while we have a goods trade deficit with the EU we actually have a small services surplus. But that is almost entirely tourism, which until we get out of this COVID hole has basically gone to zero. Business services is heavily weighted to the EU.

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Now both economies grow by 2 world trade units, (big one from 200 to 202) smaller one (20 to 22), then the big economy has grown by 1% while the other one had a growth of 10%.

*typo

Yeah thats just assuming the end goal is that you switch trading with the EU for trading with NZ. That is clearly not what is happening and its pretty disingenous to suggest otherwise. 

Actually we are still trading with the EU, and we now also have a trade deal with NZ, which if you believe the rumours is part of a of a future plan to become more involved in a pacific partnership trading agreement, which is much bigger than just trading with NZ. We are also now in a trading agreement with the EU, rather than being part of a political bloc where EU law is considered primary over national law. 

Of course there are always a bunch of stories about UK farmers being up in arms about every single trade agreement, because suddenly there has to be a narratives that trade agreements are bad, the complete reverse of what we were being told during the referendum. Will it actually have any material affect on UK farmers or the price of food here? Pretty unlikely. But it doesn't matter. Its the same old 'chlorinated chicken' scare story that remainers just lap up.

While we are still trading with the EU, we have lost frictionless trade with them and are trading under what is effectively a weak trade deal, as illustrated, apart from anything else, by a visit to any supermarket.

Chlorinated chicken (plus acceptable amounts of mouse faeces in food, etc, etc) didn't happen, because a US trade deal fell through, something for which I and others expressed relief on this website. As far as I am aware the phrase has not been used since.

The Australia and NZ trade deals are such small scale affairs that they probably won't impact UK farmers that much. But as on the whole UK farmers, like fishermen, voted for Brexit, I personally am not sparing much sympathy for them.

16 minutes ago, A wilding said:

While we are still trading with the EU, we have lost frictionless trade with them and are trading under what is effectively a weak trade deal, as illustrated, apart from anything else, by a visit to any supermarket.

Cos yeah.. supply issues are Brexit... :rolleyes:

Chlorinated chicken (plus acceptable amounts of mouse faeces in food, etc, etc) didn't happen, because a US trade deal fell through, something for which I and others expressed relief on this website. As far as I am aware the phrase has not been used since.

Most big supermarkets said they weren't ever going to stock chlorinated chicken, and people are not obliged to buy anything. Thats even supposing the entire US has been poisoned by chlorinated chicken. If it smells like a scare story it almost certainly is.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Most big supermarkets said they weren't ever going to stock chlorinated chicken, and people are not obliged to buy anything. Thats even supposing the entire US has been poisoned by chlorinated chicken. If it smells like a scare story it almost certainly is.

People wouldn’t know, because the US trade deal would require packaging to exclude country of origin. And isn’t Morrisons now owned by a US company?

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

People wouldn’t know, because the US trade deal would require packaging to exclude country of origin. And isn’t Morrisons now owned by a US company?

Well if every supermarket is shouting about not stocking Chlorine chicken do you think Morrison’s is gonna get away with doing it without anyone noticing? 
Again.. scare stories.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well if every supermarket is shouting about not stocking Chlorine chicken do you think Morrison’s is gonna get away with doing it without anyone noticing? 
Again.. scare stories.

Keep drinking the Bojo koolaid.

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Just a chaser to the Project Fear Cocktail of Terror you’ve been downing every night unfortunately

Project Fear is fast becoming Project Reality. The seafood industry got waters back but lost their main market. In 15 years the farmers will get fucked by the Australians, and our government’s havit of declaring great deals only to later admir they’re shit and that they’ve no intention of keeping them isnt going to encourage other countries to get into bed with us.

Still, all going well, Scotland will get independence soon, and England’s decline will no longer be my problem

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

The Australia and NZ trade deals are such small scale affairs that they probably won't impact UK farmers that much. But as on the whole UK farmers, like fishermen, voted for Brexit, I personally am not sparing much sympathy for them.

I have to say, the chlorinated chicken thing is a total beat up. I dunno about the UK, but chlorination is a key aspect of making water drinkable for delivering potable water to people's homes, the chlorine concentration in tap water is a lot lower than is used to sanitise chicken carcases, but aside from people who can drink bottled water every day, or who have highly effective filters, most people are drinking chlorine every day. Chlorination may be a quality issue but it is not a safety or nutritional issue, so bringing it up as a big bad for any future US trade deal is completely overblown.

Which food has acceptable levels of mouse pooh?

Isn't the problem unscrupulous meat processors using chlorine to disguise the fact that their meat is basically unfit for British consumption?

I would say that tainted, chlorine-washed meat hasn't done the Americans any harm, but look at the state of them. And we think it's bad over here. *shudders*

In other news, Plan B is incoming.

UK government paves way to bring in tough ‘plan B’ Covid rules

New evidence has emerged that the government is paving the way to implement “plan B” measures in England to combat the spread of Covid-19, amid warnings from health chiefs that a “vortex of pressures” is encircling the NHS.

In the clearest sign to date that Whitehall is actively considering additional measures, the Observer has learnt that the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) contacted local authorities on Friday to canvass their level of support for the “immediate rollout of the winter plan – plan B”.

I await the inevitable nationwide, Lozza-led, meltdown of the gammons. What fun.

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well, it’s either Brexit or Covid. If Covid, surely you have examples of other countries similarly impacted?

Archived