UK Politics - BoJo Kool-Aid vs Project Fear Cocktail of Terror

A wilding

I see Geoffrey Cox is rapidly emerging as the next big Tory sleaze lord.

I guess we should prepare for the usual round of government numpties sent out to defend this crook, before the inevitible u-turn and some kind of sanction. 

His statement, written in the third person, was pathetic.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Daily Mail and even the Express are still chucking rocks at Johnson. Wonder if the powers that be have decided he’s a liability and want him replaced

Murdoch wanted him gone a while back, but he's held back because he's uncertain if there was a viable vote-winning alternative (he seems to be close with Gove, but he doesn't seem convinced that Aldi Gollum can win an election). With Starmer being vastly more palatable as an alternative than Corbyn (and some rumours that Starmer's team have been courting Murdoch, a la Blair in 1996/97), Murdoch doesn't even seem as bothered.

I think the Mail and Express are looking at the newspapers they sold in the phone hacking scandal and are seeing the new sleaze fiasco for its financial benefits.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I see Geoffrey Cox is rapidly emerging as the next big Tory sleaze lord.

I guess we should prepare for the usual round of government numpties sent out to defend this crook, before the inevitible u-turn and some kind of sanction. 

His statement, written in the third person, was pathetic.

Terry is the only person Terry is allowed to talk about in the third person. NINE NINE!

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Activists letting down tyres of SUV drivers in Glasgow. Not going to make any material difference but fuck them wankers. 

Which ones, the activists or the Chelsea tractor drivers?

Speaking of wankers, I see the Good Law Project have written to Bozo informing him that if he insists on brute-forcing Paul Dacre into the role of Ofcom chief, a role for which he has already been deemed by the interviewers as wholly unsuitable, he can expect to get sued.

9 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Heh, they interviewed one wally who works as a pharmacist that insisted he actually needed a Range Rover to get work. Do they not have roads up in Scotland then?

Lots of potholes :P

To be fair, that person may live in a rural area with a rough road

:lol:

Brexit has made it easier for small boat crossings to reach UK, refugees say

Refugees living in northern France say Brexit has made it easier for them to reach the UK in small boats, as it emerged that record numbers of people crossed the Channel in one day.

Despite the worsening weather conditions and the UK government’s attempts to deter them, 1,185 people made the crossing on Thursday, according to the Home Office.

Refugees who have fled a variety of conflict zones including Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Eritrea told the Guardian they believed the fact the UK was no longer part of the EU made it more appealing to risk the dangerous crossings because they could no longer be sent back to other European countries under EU legislation.

As a paramedic, I can tell you why people are dying in the backs of ambulances, Mr Javid

Dear Sajid Javid, I am a paramedic working on the frontline for an NHS ambulance service in England. I have worked as a paramedic on the frontline throughout the Covid pandemic. It first occurred to me to write to you following your October speech in which you spoke of “doing what it takes to ensure that the pressure on the NHS does not become unsustainable, and we don’t allow the NHS to become overwhelmed”.

Today, with new revelations of the plight of people who die in the back of ambulances and the up to 160,000 more a year who come to harm because they are stuck outside hospitals unable to be admitted to A&E, we all see the extent to which the NHS is struggling in the face of extraordinary pressure.

Let me share with you my perspective from the frontline. The NHS is running on empty. The staff are physically and mentally exhausted. And yet we are constantly asked for more.

I recently worked 54 hours in four days. I had five hours of unplanned overruns at the end of my shifts. My 30-minute break, which I am entitled to in a 12-hour shift, was eight or nine hours into the shift every time. That is nine hours of work without a break. That is due to the sheer amount of calls we are receiving as an ambulance service.

This is not a sustainable way of working. I finished my shifts physically and mentally drained, and considering resigning from my job. I love my job. I love working as a paramedic, but in recent times, I am starting to consider the physical strain that it is putting on my body, and the stress and tension I am carrying around with me even on my days off. My time away from work is not downtime any more, because I cannot relax from the strain of the job. We are being worked into the ground. This will lead to more resignations and more strain on an already stretched service.

The patients that we are seeing are hugely suffering. I see it myself on a daily basis at work: people are waiting 12 hours or more for an ambulance. This may be an elderly person who has fallen and is still on the floor. The repercussions of this for the patient are enormous. They will develop pressure sores that may never heal. They will become severely dehydrated and their kidneys may begin to shut down, which will lead to multi-organ failure.

Another example I have seen several times are patients who ring 999 late at night because they are struggling with suicidal thoughts and need help and support to prevent them from acting on those thoughts. We are not arriving at their house until eight hours later, at 6am, by which time we may be too late.

I have been driving to a patient who had been waiting 16 hours for an ambulance. Unfortunately, we didn’t even get to their house because we got diverted to a more serious call. That patient waited even longer for an ambulance.

Imagine if that had been your mother, one of your brothers or your son who had waited 16 hours for an ambulance. It is unacceptable.

These patients are receiving a dangerous and unsatisfactory level of service from the NHS. This has a harmful effect on the overworked staff, too. It is very disheartening and wearying for the staff to see these situations on a daily basis, despite their hard work.

Please do not tell us that you wish to prevent the pressure on NHS becoming unsustainable. It already is.

Mr Javid, there is no quick and easy solution to this issue, but it should be recognised for what it is. Your blindness and complete aversion to acknowledging that the NHS is already overwhelmed does nothing to help the patients who are waiting 16 hours for an ambulance.

Regards,

An NHS paramedic

46 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

CNN article on British tourism suffering, and not seeing the 2021 bounce other countries saw this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/amp/uk-tourism-decline-restrictions-cmd/index.html

From that article:

It's a country that has just endured national fuel shortages, isolated food shortages, and its government voted this fall to dump untreated sewage onto its famous coastlines. Oh -- and it has the second highest number of Covid-19 cases in the world.
So who would want to go on vacation in the UK at the moment?

Not many, the figures show.

Oof!

34 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Surely that’s the same for most countries though?

Yep. Countries where youndon’t get to see the brown cliffs of Dover.

Also due to it now rewuiring a passport rethrr than just ID, apparently a lot of EU schools are no longer doong school trips to the UK since a lot of schoolkids don’t have passports

Archived