Cancel Culture… can we talk about it (isn’t it just boycotts)?

Ser Scot A Ellison

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Isn’t cancel culture as we tend to understand it generally a western phenomenon?

No.

At least to the things you and alarmists on the topic have counted as cancel culture.

Which is essentially any ostracizing(either through social, economical, or legal means) to people for their stated beliefs on a particular subject or perceived alignment with a specific group.

Which every culture has done.

if you’re just pissing your pants about some people on Twitter being mad about something , non-western places and people also have Twitter. 

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well I can only speak from my own experience, being in the UK, working in London, but most people I work with are very left leaning, very vocal about it.  Very happy to proclaim their credentials and let everyone know what people should be thinking. 

As I said, different views different settings. 

Interesting. my experience in the UK is pretty much the opposite. In 35 years I can remember only a handful of mentions of anything political at work, and they were very guarded. I personally have only introduced the subject once (I think) when I apologised to a close teammate who happened to be French when he resigned to move back to France after the Brexit referendum in 2016.

7 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Interesting. my experience in the UK is pretty much the opposite. In 35 years I can remember only a handful of mentions of anything political at work, and they were very guarded. I personally have only introduced the subject once (I think) when I apologised to a close teammate who happened to be French when he resigned to move back to France after the Brexit referendum in 2016.

Well things have definitely changed the last 5-6 years, which is maybe the point. Even now though ‘Conversations’ don’t happen on political topics either because if you don’t hold the ‘correct’ opinions you keep your mouth shut.

That’s why i am totally onboard with companies like Basecamp or Coinbase banning any political chat on work channels.

On 2/17/2022 at 3:39 AM, DMC said:

It's also quite ironic to depict "cancel culture" as the pathos-driven crazies denying a civil exchange of ideas and then hold up Osbourne as a "victim."

Forgot to comment on this so;

Degenerates do not want anyone to look at the individual circumstances that lead to certain individuals or groups  from being “canceled.”

They just want everyone to be instinctively outraged and leap to the “canceled’s” defense(particularly when it’s a person who promotes their degeneracy)  and say whatever happened to them can never be justified.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

if you don’t hold the ‘correct’ opinions you keep your mouth shut.

As opposed to every other time in human history where every expressed opinion on every topic was greeted with total respect.

/s

I’m not one to kink-shame but the way you people with alternative views fetishize the past in public it’s just :ack:

banning any political chat on work channels

my office had to ban political discussion for the 2016 and 2020 elections. trump cultists transformed most discussions into scenes of their performative vitriol. in adopting the leader's smirking know-nothingism and smug personal invective as badges of honor, they believe mere name calling or invocation of alleged scandal or any hint of purported hypocrisy on a marginal issue is sufficient to insulate their policy preferences from criticism.  challenges to these fallacious circumvallations based on the rules of inference or historicity or proper construction of rival policy preferences (they love nothing more than the strawperson) leads inexorably to redfaced shouting. 

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

banning any political chat on work channels

my office had to ban political discussion for the 2016 and 2020 elections. trump cultists transformed most discussions into scenes of their performative vitriol. in adopting the leader's smirking know-nothingism and smug personal invective as badges of honor, they believe mere name calling or invocation of alleged scandal or any hint of purported hypocrisy on a marginal issue is sufficient to insulate their policy preferences from criticism.  challenges to these fallacious circumvallations based on the rules of inference or historicity or proper construction of rival policy preferences (they love nothing more than the strawperson) leads inexorably to redfaced shouting. 

Better red-faced shouting than blue if one is of the Marxist persuasion.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

As opposed to every other time in human history where every expressed opinion on every topic was greeted with total respect.

/s

I’m not one to kink-shame but the way you people with alternative views fetishize the past in public it’s just :ack:

What I think is different is that there has been a massive politicisation of the general discourse, people have become far more engaged in poltics and social topics in a way that they probably never were before. Definitely I’ve noticed a big difference in things over the past decade. 

It’s also not controversial to say that things have become rather polarised as well

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

For instance, it seems those ilks evidently have never heard of even Byzantium, the rump of the Western Roman Empire, etc. in late antiquity and the early medieval ages, in which religious views so dominated EVERYTHING that groups killed each other over the differences between the nature of Christ, or even how to make the sign of the cross -- and yes, these differing adherents had powerful political sponsors at their head.  Just for a single example.  Or, hey!  how about the English civil war?  Or the War of Independence?  Or even the US over slavery from at least 1850 on -- even before the war broke out? 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

What I think is different is that there has been a massive politicisation of the general discourse

This sounds scary but ultimately means nothing with no elaboration.

people have become far more engaged in poltics and social topics in a way that they probably never were before.

Read: people are being “canceled” for sentiments to which I approve or empathize with when they weren’t before.

It’s also not controversial to say that things have become rather polarised as well

It’s disingenuous to point to the past as some glorious time for free speech and open debate

It wasn’t. 

11 hours ago, sologdin said:

my office had to ban political discussion for the 2016 and 2020 elections. t

Im curious did they all complain they were being cancel cultured?

Or did some applaud the censorship  because they thought the left wingers had made the political thread too political and wish everyone would stop  contradicting their hysterics,

I don't subscribe to the notion the cancel culture is a uniquely Western phenomenon.

I'm thinking there are few better examples of cancel culture than what we saw with India's independence campaign. Examples like the shunning of imported clothing for homespun garb and the great Salt March.

Ghandi and his brand of non violent non cooperation were at the heart and root of what is behind cancel culture in my takeaway of what it represents.

Cancel culture is an extension of that history imo.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

/s

Same energy: 

all complain they were being cancel cultured?

not really.  the ban regarded intraoffice banter regarding the election.  it started as a distraction, potentially healthy, but then evolved into a disruptive hostility that outweighed its use. i think everyone enjoyed some repose from not having to defend positions any longer--the pride of some interlocutors prevents them from acknowledging error--it is dunning-kruger but also kuhn.

Cancel culture is an extension of that history

yeah, merchants in new england boycotted the british prior to independence. various people throughout the world boycotted the third reich before the war. there's a history here, certainly of civil society pushing back against disagreeable state action, part of speaking truth to power. i wonder what are the historical antecedents for boycotts against other civil society actors. we know that state action produces boycotts in civil society all the wat back to athenian ostracism and roman aquae et ignis interdictio.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, Heartofice said:

Yeah for sure this is part of human nature, I’m sure it’s a phenomenon we’ve seen many many times before , with religion for example. 

Just going to repost what I said at the beginning of the thread, because some people seems to think there is something insightful about their take on history.

17 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Just going to repost what I said at the beginning of the thread

It’s a shame you couldn’t remember what you believed in your hysterical fear-mongering about CAncel culture 

On 2/19/2022 at 10:08 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:
  On 2/19/2022 at 9:19 AM, Heartofice said:

Isn’t cancel culture as we tend to understand it generally a western phenomenon?

On 2/20/2022 at 10:06 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm thinking there are few better examples of cancel culture than what we saw with India's independence campaign. Examples like the shunning of imported clothing for homespun garb and the great Salt March.

And White-supremacists boy-cotting businesses that were friendly to non-whites is another example.

If those who wanted the civil rights of minorities to be respected didn’t counter with their own threat of taking their business elsewhere than white-owned businesses would have been more incentived to be racist or more racist.

Archived