UK Politics: Russian Adventures in Toryland

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Can you be more specific here in terms of how he has benefited and how he might have changed UKs policy on sanctions?

Are you really asking me to explain how an oil trader benefits from actions that massively affect the oil market? 

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Are you really asking me to explain how an oil trader benefits from actions that massively affect the oil market? 

I’m mostly interested in whether you think major international policy like a oil sanction against Russia can be influenced by a measly £100k ( especially when you give it to the wrong person). Like do you genuinely believe if he hadn’t donated that we would have a different policy. 

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

Sorry for interrupting, but is this really real lol 

The MP in question was praised last year for losing a startling amount of weight (about 80lbs) which he put down to becoming really dedicated to his home gym during lockdown. He's facing allegations of sexual harassment, took a £100,000 loan from a Russian businessman, and has just been admitted to a psychiatric hospital with 'stress'.

So that's sudden and extreme weight loss, uninhibited sexual behaviour and a hospital admission after coming into a lot of money. Hmmm.

He claims to have 'enormous amounts of defence', which is definitely a very normal way to say that you are innocent.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I’m mostly interested in whether you think major international policy like a oil sanction against Russia can be influenced by a measly £100k ( especially when you give it to the wrong person). Like do you genuinely believe if he hadn’t donated that we would have a different policy. 

If you look at the history of buying politicians in just about any country 100,000 in Pounds, Euros, or Dollars is a huge amount. Look up Abscam to find out how little it took to bribe politicians. Sometimes all it took was a cheap suit of clothes. 100k in any kind of currency would certainly get any politicians undivided attention. Throw in a hooker and some blow, and it is how much can I do and when can I do it?

17 minutes ago, mormont said:

The MP in question was praised last year for losing a startling amount of weight (about 80lbs) which he put down to becoming really dedicated to his home gym during lockdown. He's facing allegations of sexual harassment, took a £100,000 loan from a Russian businessman, and has just been admitted to a psychiatric hospital with 'stress'.

So that's sudden and extreme weight loss, uninhibited sexual behaviour and a hospital admission after coming into a lot of money. Hmmm.

He claims to have 'enormous amounts of defence', which is definitely a very normal way to say that you are innocent.

Putting himself through it, eh. Christ.

22 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Here's a handy diagram for anyone struggling to comprehend why an oil trader might want to give Priti Patel £100,000.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

My 100 Euro monthly Berlin all-zones railcard thanks you.

You’re welcome.

Prick :P

Though in any case, I’ve been working from home since March 2020, and my boss has told her bosses she sees no reason for us to go back to the office save for a couple days a month.

Four years ago, before the birth if my daughter, in my previous office, I used to walk 4.5 miles home every day, because the bus was expensive and saved me a whole ten minutes due to its route.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So.. Priti Patel has single handedly put stop to a windfall tax because she received a donation of £100k, to which she openly admits. 

Oh come on, that is unworthy of you.

A businessman gives a politician a substantial amount of money. The politician makes or influences a decision that substantially benefits the businessman. You don't need to explicitly prove that the politician made the decision only because of the money, and would not have made it otherwise, in order to call it corruption.

This is exactly why donations to politicians need to be limited and closely monitored to have a properly functioning democracy. A fact that the current government is clearly unwilling to accept.

34 minutes ago, A wilding said:

This is exactly why donations to politicians need to be limited and closely monitored to have a properly functioning democracy. A fact that the current government is clearly unwilling to accept.

Oh, be fair - this government is perfectly willing to accept that fact, they just have no interest in this country being a properly functioning democracy.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Oh come on, that is unworthy of you.

A businessman gives a politician a substantial amount of money. The politician makes or influences a decision that substantially benefits the businessman. You don't need to explicitly prove that the politician made the decision only because of the money, and would not have made it otherwise, in order to call it corruption.

I just think you are grossly over stating the influence someone like Patel has in the matter. 

Archived