Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

PFE and MRNA are uncommonly ethical companies that look to make their end users better off.  Would never push a product without long term definitive proof that their end user stab partners are getting a positive health tradeoff.

I apologize for saying something that could, however wrongly, be interpreted to imply that they would ever suborn regulators to sell a harmful product that everyone, literally everyone, should have to take.  

Inconceivable.

9 hours ago, mcbigski said:

PFE and MRNA are uncommonly ethical companies

Stopped reading there.

MRNA company, jfc. Not gonna discuss the business ethics of Jim Beam or Johnnie Walker, but I think you should buy less of their products.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Well the Ontario Court of Appeal has ruled that the lower courts are right and Bill 124 that limited wage increases to 1% a year is unconstitutional. Some days you really have to wonder how stupid Doug and the Tory slugs really are. Even before the legislation was introduced, the payments to the teachers' unions members were being calculated to see how much of a settlement would be awarded after they had won their cases for having a contract imposed on them. I can still hear them saying it is different this time because we are changing the wording to make it constitutional. I suppose some dolts still think words can mean whatever wishful thinking can change the meaning.

I forgot to add that the teachers just got a 2.79% increase retroactively on Friday past from Arbitrator Kaplan, on top of the increases they have already had.

Edited by maarsen

On 2/12/2024 at 1:00 PM, maarsen said:

Well the Ontario Court of Appeal has ruled that the lower courts are right and Bill 124 that limited wage increases to 1% a year is unconstitutional. Some days you really have to wonder how stupid Doug and the Tory slugs really are. Even before the legislation was introduced, the payments to the teachers' unions members were being calculated to see how much of a settlement would be awarded after they had won their cases for having a contract imposed on them. I can still hear them saying it is different this time because we are changing the wording to make it constitutional. I suppose some dolts still think words can mean whatever wishful thinking can change the meaning.

I forgot to add that the teachers just got a 2.79% increase retroactively on Friday past from Arbitrator Kaplan, on top of the increases they have already had.

One of the most useless legislatures we have ever had. So much legislation passed and then repealed or struck down. Bunch of total clowns.

I see the London, Ontario court hearing the case of the truck driver who ran over the Muslim Pakistani family, killing four of them, back in 2020 has found it to be an act of terrorism. That’s a first in Canada for white violence. It carries an automatic sentence of life in prison with no hope of parole for 25 years.

The judge refused to use his name in court. He’s only 23 now and I assume time in custody will count towards the 25 years, so he could potentially get out of jail at the age of 45. I sincerely hope not, but time makes people forget things.

The name of the family was Afzaal.

RIP Brian Mulroney, dead today at the age of 84.

As much as I loathed him, he did good things for the environment, he led the world wide fight against apartheid, continuing even in the face of the threats of the Americans and their anti-boycott laws, and then there was the free trade agreement and the GST.

And the most debt in the history of Canada, which brought us the pain of the 1990s. My dad was dying in hospital in 1997, I still remember the fact that there were only two nurses on staff overnight for the entire damn floor.

From a G&M article:

Canada's per capita GDP, after adjusting for inflation, is now below where it was in the fourth quarter of 2014, nine years ago.

And I have to say, it feels like it. Canada's economy (and fairly large financial services industry) was a big draw for me when I moved here in 2019. It's not really a positive anymore. 

This mass killing in Ottawa, man, first reported as a mass shooting but now said to have been committed with an edged weapon.

I'm fuming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

How does a provincial statue set a limitation on a federal treaty?

The limitation period in the province where the matter arises is the limitation period that applies. The law does not put any limitation on the treaty itself, the court ruled that once the band realized they had a claim they had to make the claim within the limitation period.

eta: however, the judge used very strong language about the way the federal government acted, and that could go a long way to pushing the feds into making restitution.

Edited by Fragile Bird