Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

The rule is that an attacking player is offside if there are less than two defenders between him and the goal at the time the ball is played in. 99.9% of the time this is not an issue since the keeper is one of those players so we only look at the line of the defence.

Just now, Consigliere said:

The rule is that an attacking player is offside if there are less than two defenders between him/her and the goal at the time the ball is played in. 99.9% of the time this is not an issue since the keeper is one of those players so we only look at the line of the defence.

That's a stupid rule. And again I don't think it should have applied.

And that should have been a red.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's how it's always been, to keep attacking players from parking themselves near the goal.

Without this new automated technology, that would likely not have been called, even with a guy watching the monitors.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This has been the rule for many, many years. Just because you didn't like the outcome doesn't mean a long standing rule should suddenly be thrown out the window.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That's how it's always been, to keep attacking players from parking themselves near the goal.

Without this new automated technology, that would likely not have been called, even with a guy watching the monitors.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

This has been the rule for many, many years. Just because you didn't like the outcome doesn't mean a long standing rule should suddenly be thrown out the window.

There were two defenders standing right by the goal and the goalie was getting back into position. If you can't score when that's happening, wtf are we doing?

And yeah, I 've said for years both this sport and hockey would be so much more entertaining without draconian offsides rules. I hate when a great goal is waved off because a player's foot is just a tad bit furtherer than it should be when it's only called because the defenders were being cynical and playing the line, not the player or the ball.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I love this thinking

first let's not know the rules

then when corrected, throw your toys out of the pram

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There were two defenders standing right by the goal and the goalie was getting back into position. If you can't score when that's happening, wtf are we doing?

And yeah, I 've said for years both this sport and hockey would be so much more entertaining without draconian offsides rules. I hate when a great goal is waved off because a player's foot is just a tad bit furtherer than it should be when it's only called because the defenders were being cynical and playing the line, not the player or the ball.

The offside wasn't against the goal scorer, it was one of the other guys who headed the ball. His foot was just past the keeper, and at that point there weren't 2 Qatari players behind him.

From my schoolyard soccer days, I can tell you there's always at least one player who lurks around the goal waiting for the ball. The offside rule is necessary.

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

The offside wasn't against the goal scorer, it was one of the other guys who headed the ball. His foot was just past the keeper, and at that point there weren't 2 Qatari players behind him.

From my schoolyard soccer days, I can tell you there's always at least one player who lurks around the goal waiting for the ball. The offside rule is necessary.

Yeah the game would definitely not be better without this rule. The rule was implemented in the first place to stop opposition attackers from just camping in the box all game.

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I love this thinking

first let's not know the rules

then when corrected, throw your toys out of the pram

I did play the sport for years. Nobody would have ever called that offsides.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

See my prior post.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah the game would definitely not be better without this rule. The rule was implemented in the first place to stop opposition attackers from just camping in the box all game.

I'm not saying get rid of the rule, just apply it when it's so obvious. And don't let defenders be cynical and play to get the call rather than defend the player and the ball.

Just now, Consigliere said:

You are talking out of your arse. 

It's ass, and yes I am. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. You guys just seem to value tradition over quality of the product and I'm never going to win that fight here.

Archived