2023 College Football

DireWolfSpirit

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't overthink this. It comes down to money and Washington was already a lock which sucks for the main cause. FSU without their QB also hurts the bottom line, so they got fucked, especially with the chance to include Texas. 

I really don't understand this idea that Texas is this absurd moneymaker - especially for ESPN. It really isn't. Texas has a long history of letting people down and letting ratings down. This isn't 2005 and Vince Young ain't gonna barge through the door. 

And to be clear, again, Texas was the easier choice for the committee. Texas probably would have gotten in regardless of FSU's actions. And if you're worried about a conspiracy for money, well, it's a MUCH better conspiracy to exclude FSU in favor of one of the two biggest college fandoms in the US (the other being Ohio State). If you want sources you can take a look here as well, though I don't know how accurate it is. His numbers from 2023 are a bit more interesting - but again, if you want ratings you want Bama.

I feel like you got all your college information from @Howdyphillip and haven't really confronted it.

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I really don't understand this idea that Texas is this absurd moneymaker - especially for ESPN. It really isn't. Texas has a long history of letting people down and letting ratings down. This isn't 2005 and Vince Young ain't gonna barge through the door. 

And to be clear, again, Texas was the easier choice for the committee. Texas probably would have gotten in regardless of FSU's actions. And if you're worried about a conspiracy for money, well, it's a MUCH better conspiracy to exclude FSU in favor of one of the two biggest college fandoms in the US (the other being Ohio State). If you want sources you can take a look here as well, though I don't know how accurate it is. His numbers from 2023 are a bit more interesting - but again, if you want ratings you want Bama.

I feel like you got all your college information from @Howdyphillip and haven't really confronted it.

I'd like to see some other numbers to compare to that list, but in general I think people believe Texas is a better ratings draw than FSU, especially a FSU team missing their star player. Nobody wants a blowout and the expectation is FSU would get stomped.

Most of us knew once Bama and FSU won that Bama was getting in and FSU was gonna feel screwed, and rightly so. The one just thing is that they get to face Georgia and if FSU was truly deserving then they should beat Georgia and feel some vindication.

Personally I wanted FSU in, as a Michigan fan I want no part of a battle tested Bama with a coach who knows how to keep his team focused for the MONTH long lay off that we now begin. I also wanted FSU and Texas in because F the sec.

This is likely the last season of the run Michigan has been on, their schedule next season is just brutal, Texas, USC, Washington, Oregon, and close it out with oHiO sTaTe, so I admittedly wanted what I felt like was an easier route to the champ game. 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Since the pop tarts bowl is on, I need everyone to know that smores, red velvet, and hot fudge sundae are the best pop tarts flavors. 

Strawberry and blueberry followed up by brown sugar cinnamon. BTW that trophy is amazing.

The non playoff bowls are just over. I used to like them back when sports wasn't 24/7 and those games were the only time you could see some teams, now it's just a joke.

Between the opt outs and transfers I bet you could field a team that could compete in the playoff this year. 

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

They had 23 opt outs. Literally every good player on that team opted out. Of course they’re on a different level.

USC had 24 opt outs and smoked ACC  runner up UofL.

The big dogs have talent on another level all up and down the depth chart.

The ACC ain’t it.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

They had 23 opt outs. Literally every good player on that team opted out. Of course they’re on a different level.

Georgia had as little reason to play as FSU did. Like Rhom said just a different level. Ofc you can argue the best team is Georgia they just had a bad run of injuries to lose to Bama. 

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

USC had 24 opt outs and smoked ACC  runner up UofL.

Lol. I’m sure all SEC cultists are using this one right now. Such a weird and rabid bunch.

I usually wouldn’t touch a game with a 21 point spread, or bet against my team but that was easy money. 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Lol. I’m sure all SEC cultists are using this one right now. Such a weird and rabid bunch.

I usually wouldn’t touch a game with a 21 point spread, or bet against my team but that was easy money. 

Mainly I just like any excuse to point out that UofL got boat raced. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Ngl, I got some satisfaction out of seeing Clemson beat your boys the other day. 

You SEC jerks got me rooting for fucking Clemson!

And strangely, I didn't like seeing oSu get beat by Missouri like they did. Would rather see teams at full strength.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

And strangely, I didn't like seeing oSu get beat by Missouri like they did. Would rather see teams at full strength.

Well that’s because of SEC’s obvious superior depth advantage :P Now if they could only get to .500 against out of conference teams…

Harbaugh Bros. This is probably your Magnus Opus chance at sweeping both the college and pro championships in same year.

Of course im for the Wolverines, but kind of nervous whether they can get it over the goal after so many past last game fumbles.

Sigh. I knew this Iowa team was going to be resoundingly beaten, but I figured they'd at least kick some field goals. Pretty depressing that their FB feed put up a congratulations to the punter for setting a record amount of yards. Good, I guess? Not really?

I predict Alabama vs Texas, both by small amounts. Alabama in a lower scoring game and Texas in a higher one.

I would have said Michigan before, but between injuries to their line and Saban having a month to plan I don't think it goes well.