What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

Home made bread. Proving you don't need much to fill your stomach and be satisfied. (I admit this was my second attempt to do this. First one I stuck to the receipe I found despite my better knowledge. The proper flour to water ratio is 1 to 0.6. Not 0.8. Anybody who has ever done homemade pizza knows this. But silly me thought maybe spelt flour can absorb a bit more than wheat flour).

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I bought some Mediterranean food for lunch. And had the leftovers for dinner. A Falafel bowl, small hummus, shoestring fries, and a soft drink. The food was super delicious and satiated my palate sooo good. I think this restaurant is going to become of of the ones I frequent often. I mostly go to Mexican restaurants with my Mom and Denny's with my parents. This is going to be a great change. 

There is an amazing sushi spot over the road, but its sooooo expensive.  Also i don't find sushi very filling so i always ending up eating crap after.  But my wife has been a good wife recently and has decided that is what she wants, so the decision is made. 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

There is an amazing sushi spot over the road, but its sooooo expensive.  Also i don't find sushi very filling so i always ending up eating crap after.  But my wife has been a good wife recently and has decided that is what she wants, so the decision is made. 

I’ve been working downtown the past couple of weeks and the underground mall of the building I’m in has a very decent sushi take-out place. Such a cut above the stuff I buy at the grocery store.

Downtown Toronto has a pretty decent underground tunnel system that connects you from the train station all the way to city hall, really helpful in the winter and during lousy weather. Pretty well all major buildings in the financial district are connected.

Chicken Cacciatore last night.  A simplified version, though.  Was pretty great, actually.

My husband has an unfortunate tendency to want beef for dinner.  I've tried to talk him out of it numerous times but have found it's better to just cook something non-red meat that's delicious enough to take his mind off of eating cows.  

But the eternal question continues to plague me - what's for dinner?  

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’ve been working downtown the past couple of weeks and the underground mall of the building I’m in has a very decent sushi take-out place. Such a cut above the stuff I buy at the grocery store.

Downtown Toronto has a pretty decent underground tunnel system that connects you from the train station all the way to city hall, really helpful in the winter and during lousy weather. Pretty well all major buildings in the financial district are connected.

I completely love Toronto.  Haven't been in ages.  Drove over with a girlfriend years ago, but found our USA license plates didn't go over too well.  :( 

Does anyone have a good recipe for jalfrezi?

I tried a recipe using whitefish, and the end result was watery and bland (why fresh tomatoes? I'm thinking they should be reduced into a sauce first). After some doctoring, it was salvageable, but it would be nice to start from a good foundation, from someone who knows what they're doing.

Tips and links welcome. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I tried a recipe using whitefish, and the end result was watery and bland (why fresh tomatoes? I'm thinking they should be reduced into a sauce first). After some doctoring, it was salvageable, but it would be nice to start from a good foundation, from someone who knows what they're doing.

Whenever I'm using tomatoes in a sauce i roast them (and onion, peppers etc) before putting in a food processor, gets rid of excess moisture and gives a nicer roasted flavour. 

On 9/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I don't have a jalfrezi recipe but is there any reason tinned tomatoes wouldn't work? A lot of recipes for other dishes (including various curries) seem to use tinned tomatoes as a base rather than fresh

On 9/14/2023 at 10:20 PM, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Simply grate the tomato over a colander and just use the pulp. Then you can cook down the tomato pulp even more to thicken/concentrate the flavour. 

This is for veg but you can easily replace with any meat.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 9/15/2023 at 11:18 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Simply grate the tomato over a colander and just use the pulp. Then you can cook down the tomato pulp even more to thicken/concentrate the flavour. 

This is for veg but you can easily replace with any meat.

This turned out great! I added some pan seared scallops for some added umami, but otherwise kept it pretty close to his recipe. Love the crunchiness! So much better than the one from last week. Thanks!

It's getting to be that time of year again, so I made a big pot of chili tonight.

Chorizo, three kinds of beans, five kinds of peppers, a bottle of beer, garlic, celery, and a bunch of tomatoes from the garden. Turned out pretty good and now I have dinner for the next week or so and maybe some extra to freeze.

I went out for dinner Saturday night to a steakhouse that I had been to recently, where I saw barramundi on the menu. It’s also known as Asian sea bass, and Australians and other Pacific Ocean islanders eat it. 

The fish, steamed with a bit of sauce on the side, was utterly delicious, and equal to the prime rib I had last week.