Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

the USMNT situation is surreal. so claudio reyna and his wife had dirt on claudio's boyhood, college and then national team friend and teammate since 1991!

it was only when berhalter talked shit about their very grownup son regarding his world cup appearances and impact do mom and dad want to say anything. 

I'm not a berhalter guy. he was fine for now but ultimately not what the team needs to compete in 2026, but this exit is wild.

reyna has been attached to american soccer since i was a kid. he was one of the first crop that made the nation even begin to take the game serious. 

he didn't dump this news out of any other reason to damage berhalter. that is both cowardly and grotesque. while berhalter's acts in 1991 aren't excusable to sit on it and decide it's only worth mentioning cause your little boy's feelings got hurt is despicable. 

us soccer is small all in all. i see this resonating for at least the next world cup cycle.

56 minutes ago, MercenaryChef said:

while berhalter's acts in 1991 aren't excusable to sit on it and decide it's only worth mentioning cause your little boy's feelings got hurt is despicable. 

Even the Reynas don't appear to be disputing that Bernhalter never did it again: ie, it's not excusable but he apparently sorted his shit out. Which means that Danielle Reyna appears to have dragged up the 30-year-old trauma and private business of her supposed best friend and made it public in the most grotesque way, because her son couldn't handle being sidelined. Which even Gio Reyna appears to acknowledge - his statement at the time being that he let people down.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Even the Reynas don't appear to be disputing that Bernhalter never did it again: ie, it's not excusable but he apparently learned from it. Which means that Danielle Reyna appears to have dragged up the 30-year-old trauma and private business of her supposed best friend and made it public in the most grotesque way, because her son couldn't get his shit in order. Which even Gio Reyna appears to acknowledge - his statement at the time being that he let people down.

Yea. Not a good look for the Reynas.

Assuming Berhalter doesn't get sacked this is gonna be super awkward.

Gio is one of the better talents the US have atm. If he continues to improve it'll be difficult to not select him, on the other hand the interaction between him and Berhalter...uff.

He can't even switch federations anymore. 

Gonna be super awkward even if he does get replaced. Why would any new manager want a player whose high-profile parents are gonna start attacking them if he gets dropped? 

It'll likely affect his club career too. Like he should be alright so long as he stays at Dortmund, assuming he's built good relationships there, but should he be moving on at any point, this will definitely be affecting demand for him. 

19 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, and you're embarrassing yourself with trying to draw some sort of moral equivalence between a middle-aged man willingly going to work for these murderous cunts, with a handful of kids wanting to represent their country at the World Cup.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I do have some questions...

Don't middle-aged men have right to have dreams of managing a top-level club? Why is that not as good of a reason/excuse as young men (not kids) wanting to play in the World Cup?

Also, so many companies all over the world are owned and run by individuals with questionable morals, to say the least. Where do you draw the line? Thousands of workers dying from working in inhuman conditions - ok. Killing journalists - not ok. Having kids mine cobalt in Congo to make electronic devices you sell to general population - ok or not? Having people sew your clothes and footwear for 1$ a day in South-East Asian countries - ok or not? Selling weapons to countries at war - ok or not?

Even if we do draw the line so that we absolve Qatar and condemn Saudi Arabia, what do we do about it? Do we stop buying oil from Saudis? Do we stop taking their investments worldwide? Do we impose some sort of economic sanctions on them? Or do we just say: "All that's ok, but owning Newcastle is a no-no"?

2 hours ago, baxus said:

I don't have a horse in this race, but I do have some questions...

Don't middle-aged men have right to have dreams of managing a top-level club? Why is that not as good of a reason/excuse as young men (not kids) wanting to play in the World Cup?

Also, so many companies all over the world are owned and run by individuals with questionable morals, to say the least. Where do you draw the line? Thousands of workers dying from working in inhuman conditions - ok. Killing journalists - not ok. Having kids mine cobalt in Congo to make electronic devices you sell to general population - ok or not? Having people sew your clothes and footwear for 1$ a day in South-East Asian countries - ok or not? Selling weapons to countries at war - ok or not?

Even if we do draw the line so that we absolve Qatar and condemn Saudi Arabia, what do we do about it? Do we stop buying oil from Saudis? Do we stop taking their investments worldwide? Do we impose some sort of economic sanctions on them? Or do we just say: "All that's ok, but owning Newcastle is a no-no"?

These are questions not for the likes of me, but for our illustrious leaders. 

Because they are the ones cow-towing to Saudi Arabia. They are the ones selling them bombs to drop on Yemeni families. They are the ones training Saudi troops to kick down doors and terrorize other brown people. They are the ones blocking investment in renewable energy because they are up to their necks in Saudi oil money.

And the Saudis basically organized 9/11. But nobody is allowed to talk about that.

So, please, spare me the, "How dare you criticize Saudi Arabia when you are a willing participant in our capitalist society."

It's like pointing at a demonstrator at an anti-capitalist march who happens to be holding a Starbucks cup and screaming, 'Look, he's drinking coffee. What a fucking hypocrite.' 

So what can we do about it? Well, absolutely nothing. Because of all of the above.

But if I had my way, how about we start by just having a rule whereby nation states aren't allowed to own football clubs?

3 hours ago, baxus said:

Because he's old enough to know better?

Don't know about you, but when I was twenty, I was a fucking idiot. I was a know-nothing numpty, who didn't really care about anyone but myself, my family, and my friends. I knew nothing of world affairs. It was all music, football, and sexy ladies.

At forty-five, however, my horizons had broadened somewhat. I had taken time to learn about the world I lived in. And, yes, I had formed some pretty strong opinions on what was right and what was wrong.

If I was good enough to play professional football, 20-year-old me would probably have gone to Newcastle if the money was good enough.

But 45-year-old me would have done an Unai, and told them where to go.

Eddie Howe standing up before the media, claiming ignorance of the evils perpetrated by his boss, is extremely telling. Because everybody, along with Eddie Howe, knows what happened to Jamal Khashoggi. And everybody knows who ordered it. Which means that Eddie Howe clearly doesn't give a shit that his employer is a murderer. Which, in my book, makes him a terrible fucking person.

Anyone care to disagree with that final sentence?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

These are questions not for the likes of me, but for our illustrious leaders. 

Because they are the ones cow-towing to Saudi Arabia. They are the ones selling them bombs to drop on Yemeni families. They are the ones training Saudi troops to kick down doors and terrorize other brown people. They are the ones blocking investment in renewable energy because they are up to their necks in Saudi oil money.

And the Saudis basically organized 9/11. But nobody is allowed to talk about that.

So, please, spare me the, "How dare you criticize Saudi Arabia when you are a willing participant in our capitalist society."

It's like pointing at a demonstrator at an anti-capitalist march who happens to be holding a Starbucks cup and screaming, 'Look, he's drinking coffee. What a fucking hypocrite.' 

So what can we do about it? Well, absolutely nothing. Because of all of the above.

But if I had my way, how about we start by just having a rule whereby nation states aren't allowed to own football clubs?

So, basically you are more than willing to turn a blind eye on so many other bad things Saudis are doing because "not my job". On the other hand, you are not just willing but eager to get on a high horse when it comes to football club ownership? Got it.

54 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Because he's old enough to know better?

Don't know about you, but when I was twenty, I was a fucking idiot. I was a know-nothing numpty, who didn't really care about anyone but myself, my family, and my friends. I knew nothing of world affairs. It was all music, football, and sexy ladies.

At forty-five, however, my horizons had broadened somewhat. I had taken time to learn about the world I lived in. And, yes, I had formed some pretty strong opinions on what was right and what was wrong.

If I was good enough to play professional football, 20-year-old me would probably have gone to Newcastle if the money was good enough.

But 45-year-old me would have done an Unai, and told them where to go.

Eddie Howe standing up before the media, claiming ignorance of the evils perpetrated by his boss, is extremely telling. Because everybody, along with Eddie Howe, knows what happened to Jamal Khashoggi. And everybody knows who ordered it. Which means that Eddie Howe clearly doesn't give a shit that his employer is a murderer. Which, in my book, makes him a terrible fucking person.

Anyone care to disagree with that final sentence?

Oh, they can be fucking idiots all day long, it still doesn't absolve them of their responsibility. Legally, they are responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable for what they do. If we want to preach about human rights violations then not many countries are above Qatar on the list of countries we should condemn for it. Don't forget that Qatar is not guilty only of banning the One Love armbands, for years they were a safe haven for people funding terrorist organisations.  And we all know the way they treat immigrant workers. Every single football player and coach who went there knew about it.

Also, you think that people working for your government don't have murderers as their employers? Pretty much every single thing of worth in your country has been built by exploiting and abusing half of the world over the centuries. We don't even have to go that far back either, since your country has been involved in some pretty dubious wars recently as well. Does that mean that government employed doctors, nurses, teachers, firefighters etc. are terrible fucking persons?

Yes, everyone knows what happened to Khashoggi, everyone knows who ordered it and no one is doing anything about it. You expect a football manager to fight that war when your politicians are playing deaf, dumb and blind to it? And all those reporters who are asking a football club manager the questions they are not brave enough to ask those in power should be ashamed of themselves. Unlike Howe, they are a disgrace to their profession.

Eddie Howe could be a terrible person for all I know, but if he is it's not because he decided to take a job as Newcastle United manager.

Pretty hard to hold moral high ground in the modern world.

UK government sells Saudis weapons so no matter what you do you're implicated.

Also it was the premier league that allowed the Saudis to buy the club. It wasn't up to Newcastle fans.

Yeah, call me old fashioned, but I don't think there's much point debating this with anyone who thinks it's perfectly normal to go and work for a brutal dictator who literally has his critics chopped into pieces and dissolved in acid.

Especially when they start trying to blame individuals for things their governments did over the course of hundreds of years.

Because that's just fucking moronic.

And are you seriously trying to draw some sort of moral equivalence between a man going to work, directly, for MBS, being paid millions to be the face of the Saudi sports-washing project, and an NHS worker trying to save the life of a fellow citizen before popping into the food bank on the way home after a twelve-hour shift?

47 minutes ago, baxus said:

Also, you think that people working for your government don't have murderers as their employers? Pretty much every single thing of worth in your country has been built by exploiting and abusing half of the world over the centuries. We don't even have to go that far back either, since your country has been involved in some pretty dubious wars recently as well. Does that mean that government employed doctors, nurses, teachers, firefighters etc. are terrible fucking persons?

You can talk. What about the massacre at Srebrenica? What did you personally do to stop it?

There, see how fucking dumb that was?

Just now, Spockydog said:

You can talk. What about the massacre at Srebrenica? What did you personally do to stop it?

There, see how fucking dumb that was?

Wow, way to not get what I was saying at all.

Not that surprising really, since you failed to even get the point of your own "not debating anymore".

39 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Pretty hard to hold moral high ground in the modern world.

UK government sells Saudis weapons so no matter what you do you're implicated.

Also it was the premier league that allowed the Saudis to buy the club. It wasn't up to Newcastle fans.

Exactly this. Everyone does business with Saudis, and it's perfectly fine but if Howe does it, he is a terrible person.

Fucking hypocrisy went through the roof!

Archived