Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

We absolutely dominated that second half against Newcastle and should have won that game - I think if we had *any* attacking subs from the bench we probably win that. Newcastle came for a point, and they got that. It was up to us to break them down. We need more depth.

Blatant penalty not given though against Dan Burn on Gabriel, it's especially odd as the ref gave us two yellows for shirt tugging.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

That was a pretty horrible match. DIdn't expect Newcastle to take all their tactics from Burnley.

Yeah, pretty dire stuff from Newcastle. If they had actually turned up to play football, we would have wiped the floor with them.

When your only gameplan is to go full 1980s Crazy Gang, it only makes it obvious who the better team is.

Anyway, I'm not bothered by the result. Fair play to them. Eddie Howe had a plan and it worked.

But when you're nine points and a game in hand behind the league leaders, the onus is on you to win.

The pass-map in this tweet is,,, interesting. As is the progression graph. Shaw is a progression monster. It's really fun to see him shine like this because when we were just kinda limping along, without a real clue tactically, him being our second-best playmaker was a real concern, but we're looking really good and having an actual plan and he's still our second best playmaker because it turns out when he's got controlled passers to bounce off, his passing's even better. 

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But when you're nine points and a game in hand behind the league leaders, the onus is on you to win.

Despite their good run, they're not really competing with you.

Well, they might be if this is how Arsenal react to massed defences from here on out. Battle for top four will be hot if that happens...

Massed defences are nothing new & we have dealt with them all season, especially at home. IMO, you cannot really complain about them when you play these teams. You have to be good enough to break them down, I have no issue with how Newcastle plalyed, and to be fair to the arsenal team, they shoud have gotten at least one very obvious penalty.

It's why we need more depth.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, I vaguely recall that Ronaldo in particular was not the greatest fan of Pele and accusing him of secret cheering for Brazil not to win World Cups, so that nobody could break or tie his three World Cup wins.

Which of course is a lie, since This  was Pelé's reaction after Brazil winning in 1994. Also, Ronaldo said it after Pelé questioned his excessive weight before the 2006 World Cup and the overconfidence of the team going to that WC, and, well...

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:
Despite their good run, they're not really competing with you.

Well, they might be if this is how Arsenal react to massed defences from here on out. Battle for top four will be hot if that happens...

Not the first bus we've faced nor will it be the last. It is, however, proven to be the best bus this season. We need more attackers though because our bench is pitifully weak. 

Leeds did exactly the same to Newcastle last weekend, we weren't moaning like a bunch of babies.  If you go away to the best team in the league, your 2 first choice centre forwards aren't fully fit and you have the best defence in the league (fun fact, we have conceded fewer goals this season so far, than we did in last December alone), you do what you can.  

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Someone needs to chin Eddie 'Leave me alone, I'm just a simple football man,' Howe on behalf of the people of Saudi Arabia.

Today I really thought it was gonna be Arteta. :lol:

Since hardly a single person in the game really stood up to the absurd world cup, I think its safe to assume that everyone in football, including all your staff and players would be following the same line in the same position.  Criticising the Newcastle manager because of the regime that is in charge and he has no control over seems to be massively missing the target. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Criticising the Newcastle manager because of the regime that is in charge and he has no control over seems to be massively missing the target. 

*sprays coffee all over the desk*

No control over? He didn't have to take the job. And since the day he did, his utterances around MBS and Saudi Arabia have been mealy mouthed and pathetic. He doesn't seem to give a shit that his boss had a journalist chopped up and dissolved in acid. Yeah, he's a real stand-up guy that Eddie Howe.

Hands up everyone here who would unquestioningly go and work for a man who regularly had his critics tortured and killed.

Anyone?

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

*sprays coffee all over the desk*

No control over? He didn't have to take the job. And since the day he did, his utterances around MBS and Saudi Arabia have been mealy mouthed and pathetic. He doesn't seem to give a shit that his boss had a journalist chopped up and dissolved in acid. Yeah, he's a real stand-up guy that Eddie Howe.

Hands up everyone here who would unquestioningly go and work for a man who regularly had his critics tortured and killed.

Anyone?

How many players and officials refused to go to the world cup? There's your answer.

Any arsenal players stand up for the oppressed of Qatar? Didn't think so. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How many players and officials refused to go to the world cup? There's your answer.

Methinks Saudi Arabia is a few orders of magnitude more dreadful than Qatar. And I don't seem to recall their leader being directly, and very publicly, implicated in anything as horrific as what happened to Jamal Khashoggi.

Anyway... Whataboutism. The last refuge of those without a leg to stand on.

Don't have an issue with newcastle's approach against us at all, teams play like that against big teams all the time. Only issue really is the penalty we didn't get and the odd decisions made by the ref.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I seem to remember hearing that Unai Emery rejected them because his family didn't want him working for the Saudis.

May or may not be true. But what is certain is they were after him in a big, big way, and he told them where to go.

Archived