Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So how do our Arsenal feel about the ongoing involvement of Thomas P. in their succes story on the pitch?

:dunno: nothing I can do about it so not going to let it detract from my enjoyment at watching great football and maturation of young talent (players and manager). If the cops arrest, charge and convict him, it'll be deserved.

Yeah, but the stuff the alleged victim posted at the beginning of the season was pretty damning.

It wasn't Greenwood levels of sickening, but there was definitely a there there.

If we assume he gets arrested at some point in let's say March or April. Arsenal start to drop quite a few more points but are able to drag a narrow lead over the line, if I were a gooner, that title would be more than bit tainted.

That's ofc merely my opinion, and our resident gooners can say: Dude, come back whenever your club wins something, anything at all. Which is fair enough, but still.

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but the stuff the alleged victim posted at the beginning of the season was pretty damning.

It wasn't Greenwood levels of sickening, but there was definitely a there there.

If we assume he gets arrested at some point in let's say March or April. Arsenal start to drop quite a few more points but are able to drag a narrow lead over the line, if I were a gooner, that title would be more than bit tainted.

That's ofc merely my opinion, and our resident gooners can say: Dude, come back whenever your club wins something, anything at all. Which is fair enough, but still.

:dunno: if I'm honest with myself, I'll be super excited for all the players that are still with the team if he gets arrested. As of a fan of the entire squad, just can't see myself diminishing their first PL title in 19 years because Partey played.

That being said, given how long this has been going on, I'm not sure much is going to come of it.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Is it an assumption when we saw that over the last few seasons?

Like it's not a done deal, there's still time for them to go on a mad tear and it's fair to say that they're not that off form, Arsenal are just doing incredibly well. But just at the moment, I'd say that usually, City are terrifying. Right now, Haaland is terrifying, but I'm not sure that City are. 

Overall I'd argue they're still the most talented team and have arguably the best player in the league. But that does not always result in a title.

Unless you're Argentina. :commie:

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but even his overall talents are almost taking a backseat, with a narrower focus on pinging over the top to Haaland.

But man, when he has those moments of brilliance, it's delicious. Felt like Odegaard today had some very strong KdB moments.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but even his overall talents are almost taking a backseat, with a narrower focus on pinging over the top to Haaland.

Eh, I just think with a player like Haaland, if you put him on the USMNT they would have been scary. A player like that unlocks so much.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I just think with a player like Haaland, if you put him on the USMNT they would have been scary. A player like that unlocks so much.

Sure, put any talented goal scorer on the USMNT and they might actually do something.

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Who is the Best Player in the league, right now?

Could it be Ødegaard?

Maybe someone else is performing at a similarly high level, week in, week out.

But I haven't seen him.

Still Kevin de Bruyne but Odegaard is playing amazing.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, but Haaland is a couple levels better than anyone in that US team. Any give-and-take in fitting him in is clearly going to be overwhelmingly in the 'give' column. 

And for most teams, that'd be true even among the very top. But City are a team traditionally so heavy on the build-up through the middle third that getting a player that doesn't engage there means they lose something. And it's not yet clear that the positives once in the final third outweigh that.

Of course, it's also a long-term signing. De Bruyne is at some point going to start slowing down, and rebuilding the team to give him less responsibility and more focus in another area may well pay off in the end even if this season it's sticking a bit. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Who is the Best Player in the league, right now?

Could it be Ødegaard?

But I haven't seen him.

I still think Saka is your actual best player but Odegaard's having a season.

I hope Confident Marcus Rashford can stick around through to the end of the season. If he does he'll be in contention, but as of yet it's too few games that he's been playing this well. 

Odegaard is so good. No idea where we will end up ( I'm still looking below us at top 4), but I'm on for the ride.

Also, there's no referring conspiracy, and that united game was a missed opportunity for us because I think we could have won that.

But let's not pretend that we didn't have a goal disallowed for no reason, which the refs have admitted to - it's just incompetence

Also, dunno which arsenal fans would call us 'contenders' over the last few years, it's an arguement that doesn't even make sense :dunno:

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Oh by the way the obvious answer to this is Bruno Guimaraes. He's silly good. Newcastle are performing well regardless but if it wasn't for him they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are. 

Archived