Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

What a performance!

To be clear, I freakin' love this guy. Up there with Parlour and Groves amongst my Top Blokes Who Have Played For The Arsenal list.

Elneny had a good run. Can't wait to replace him in the summer with a young, talented DM.

45 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And Pele has passed away.

The difference in class and dignity between him and the person about to break his Brazil goalscoring record is insane.

I can't have him as all time number one because I didn't see anywhere enough of him live, but I wouldn't quibble with anyone else putting him there based on testimony of those who did, and his absurd stats. 

20 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can't have him as all time number one

Because he's not.

Yeah, he was a great player, but claiming he's the best ever would be like saying fifteen-time-world champion, Joe Davies, is the greatest snooker player of all time.

Football in Pele's heyday was nowhere near as competitive. More violent, more muddy, but nowhere near as good.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Because he's not.

Yeah, he was a great player, but claiming he's the best ever would be like saying fifteen-time-world champion, Joe Davies, is the greatest snooker player of all time.

Football in Pele's heyday was nowhere near as competitive. More violent, more muddy, but nowhere near as good.

Disagree. You get judged against your contemporaries. Otherwise he isn't in the top 50 which is absurd. I didnt say best, i said all time number one.

Some nobody in 15 years will beat Phelps times and not even qualify for an Olympic final.  Sports evolve, how you are judged doesn't. Anyone who has him outside the top 3 is being salty. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, BigFatCoward said:

The difference in class and dignity between him and the person about to break his Brazil goalscoring record is insane.

Going back to this one. Before we declare Pele a saint, let's not forget that he was a bit too cozy with the military dictatorship in Brazil in the 1960s. Yes, those strongmen leaders like to present themselves with successful athletes, and Pele just happened to be the biggest game in town. Arguably he couldn't tell the taste of Medici's cock like Neymar could with Bolsonaro's, but that's also part of his history.

Then there was this Unicef charity match Pele's company organized and embezzled like 200 grands while they were at it in the 1990s. During his time as minister of sport he fought corruption, so his company could get bigger piece of the pie. 

Archived