Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

50 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Is this the end of an era at Liverpool?

Simon Hughes
Dec 22, 2022

Could someone summarise the main points from this article? It's behind a paywall.thanks.

All you have to do is copy the article link and paste it into archive.ph.

17 minutes ago, baxus said:

It is, you just haven't reached the limit of free articles from Athletic. ;) 

Ok, that might explain it.

Anyway, he has the contents of the article now. Personally I found this article to be a piece of clickbait with nothing really substantial there.

But alas.

Non sequitur: I’ve just recently let my subscription to The Athletic lapse.  It doesn’t seem worth the cost unless you want to read very widely across many football teams and all the major American sports.  I spend most of my news reading time on economics, finance and govt policy and only dip into some sports for some light relief.  (It’s really just soap operas for men)

Depends on what you read though, you can indulge in the soap opera stuff or read the really good stuff that is more about the football, the players & the fans ( not just talking about the athletic, there is plenty of good sports writing out there)

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Depends on what you read though, you can indulge in the soap opera stuff or read the really good stuff that is more about the football, the players & the fans ( not just talking about the athletic, there is plenty of good sports writing out there)

I enjoy reading about tactical systems, shaping teams into a balance collective to maximize their strengths and cover their weaknesses, development through coaching of positional roles, and the different strategies to pursue as a club/organization over time.  But that’s a small fraction of sports coverage, those insights don’t change frequently, and text doesn’t capture tactics well.  Most of the volume in sports writing is empty calories.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Non sequitur: I’ve just recently let my subscription to The Athletic lapse.  It doesn’t seem worth the cost unless you want to read very widely across many football teams and all the major American sports.  I spend most of my news reading time on economics, finance and govt policy and only dip into some sports for some light relief.  (It’s really just soap operas for men)

I don't have many luxuries, but this is one. 

I really like the Totally Football Show, and this alone is almost worth the subscription.

I also enjoy the quality and integrity of the journalism. Ornstein, Amy Lawrence, and James McNicholas provide excellent Arsenal coverage. I don't get the sense that they are in the business of printing bullshit just for clicks.

I also find myself myself reading a lot more about other clubs. Especially when shit is hitting the fan, and you get the big, multi-writer stories, detailing, for instance, the ins and outs of the latest CR7 fiasco or whatnot.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Same, even with the cheap £1 a month price I realised there is barely anything on there to keep me coming back. It’s also just a lot easier to listen to the many podcasts they do to get a lot of the same benefits 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I enjoy reading about tactical systems, shaping teams into a balance collective to maximize their strengths and cover their weaknesses, development through coaching of positional roles, and the different strategies to pursue as a club/organization over time.  But that’s a small fraction of sports coverage, those insights don’t change frequently, and text doesn’t capture tactics well.  Most of the volume in sports writing is empty calories.

I agree.

There are many, many sports websites, but only a few of them are tactical and interesting.  For every one Tomkins Times there are a hundred TeamTalks.

Now to something completely different.

If somebody needs something feel good after that event in Qatar. Yesterday Union Berlin did their annual Weihnachtssingen (Christmas singing). That event started roughly twenty years ago, when a couple of fans met at the stadium, because they wanted to see each other before christmas. That event has grown significantly since then. Yesterday, there were 23-24.000 people gathering at their stadium. Singing the obligatory club anthem and Christmas carols. Yes, it has grown to a somewhat commercial event over the years, but still kinda feels organic. So kudos to them. I expect there'll be some video uploads on youtube over the day.

I think the athletic does some things well, and I enjoy reading particularly about teams that I don't follow too closely. For example, they did a big profile piece on the guy that just bought bournemouth which I thought was very good.

I also like a lot of the players tribune stuff as well as interviews with managers etc. There is plenty of good writing, it just has to be sought.

Not sure what to expect for tomorrow. 

Hopefully we can generate some attacking threat. We've been toothless too often. Not enough generated through midfield, and wingers have been erratic. I'm sort of glad it's not my responsibility to fix it.

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Not sure what to expect for tomorrow. 

Hopefully we can generate some attacking threat. We've been toothless too often. Not enough generated through midfield, and wingers have been erratic. I'm sort of glad it's not my responsibility to fix it.

Yea, I'm getting a bit anxious myself. The break, Jesus injury and poor play during the friendlies really putting me in the "I'm worried" category.

I dunno if it's a comedown from the elation of seeing Messi win the world cup or just disillusionment with the way we've played this season but I didn't feel very invested in that game at all. Probably a mercy.

So after he scored and won us our first game where he played, Neal Maupay has been exactely as expected. Now, given that Gordon, McNeill, Gray, Iwobi, Onana and Gana all are better at controlling the ball than actually scoring, we end up with games like today.

With a proper striker, we should have won. Instead, we allow Wolves to easily counter in a winning goal in overtime. This was a game which in the end was as frustrating as anything served up by Roberto Martienz.

Archived