Covid 48: The Long March

Darzin

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

Anyway the practical implications from this is if you're going to boost make sure it's the most recent available (now the BA.4/BA.5 bivalent) and not with a booster with the OG strain in it.

Well, obviously.  Though there was a period of about 18 months or so when every media source said take another booster for the shit from a year plus ago from there.  I feel like I said a while ago that taking an injection for the OG or Alpha variant is just cargo cult style wishful thinking.  But hey, I spread malinformation.

Maybe the newest is greatest and all, but taking a two year old injection for a seaonally mutating virus was always a much better idea for the supplier than the end user.

Sunlight and exercise are each negatively correlated to bad covid outcomes.  And what's the downside?

Dr. Fauci Looks Back: ‘Something Clearly Went Wrong’
In his most extensive interview yet, Anthony Fauci wrestles with the hard lessons of the pandemic — and the decisions that will define his legacy.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/04/24/magazine/dr-fauci-pandemic.html

If only this country would admit and learn from its errors. Fauci's more than willing, but the magrats are determined to make it worse, rolling back state controls in medical emergencies, just like the musk and his kool aid adorers refuse to admit how he's borked the environment, tesla, spacex and the twit.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-fell-fourth-leading-cause-of-death-cdc/

Article saying C19 was the 4th leading cause of death in 2022, behind heart disease, cancer and unintentional injuries (largely drug overdoses according to the article). The absolute number dropped considerably from over 400K to 186K (C19 as the underlying cause of death, more if C19 is listed as contributory), which is good to see.

The downside to sunlight is sunburn and skin cancer. The downside to exercise is accidents and injuries. Very few things don't have a downside. But some things have such benefits as to outweigh the risks, including exercise, moderate amounts of sunlight and C19 vaccination.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

In which category are registered all the deaths by gun?

I didn't read that far. Isn't it somewhere in the 10,000s most years?

Just got my bivalent booster, though that's not the interesting thing. The pharmacy is giving each person some vit D sachets with each dose as apparently it's been shown that dosing up on Vit D improves the immune response to the vaccine. Good to see them actually give people the vit D rather than just advise to take vit D. 3x1 dose sachets of a viscous liquid that tastes like fake rock melon.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

You guys don’t do that, do you?

Evidently not, though gun deaths are counted. They are . . . numerous, shall we say? :crying:  So much so they are a category of their own, I guess. And guess what? some states don't want those deaths to be counted separately at all.

I still haven't gotten my latest booster due to the borking of the fone and the online pharmacy system where I get mine, particularly as I wanted to stay with Moderna, since I got slotted for that with the first dose.  While Partner, who got slotted for Pfizer at the beginning can just walk in it seems and get it. Recall, in those days, getting an appointment was very difficult and people lined up for hours in freezing cold and even snow to get theirs.  I'm kind of thinking of just walking over to my nearest pharmacy three blocks way and getting the Pfizer for getting through the maybe summer surge.

Is there a reason to stick with one brand of vaccine? I just figure go with the one that has the most up to date strain and easiest to get. I think we have two vaccines available here, Pfizer for the mRNA and something else for those who are afraid of or unable to have an mRNA vaccine. I just asked for the bivalent booster didn't really care which one I got, but I think the default is Pfizer.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

You guys don’t do that, do you?

Not allowed. Gun deaths are specifically not allowed to be measured or discussed as a public health issue in the US. Scientific American did have an article on this a few years back where they did try to estimate the number and it was up there with traffic accidents as a leading cause of death.

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there a reason to stick with one brand of vaccine? I just figure go with the one that has the most up to date strain and easiest to get. I think we have two vaccines available here, Pfizer for the mRNA and something else for those who are afraid of or unable to have an mRNA vaccine. I just asked for the bivalent booster didn't really care which one I got, but I think the default is Pfizer.

They say not, and I don't have any reason not to believe it.  I guess my reluctance to do so is kinda related to not wanting to mix my wines or something equally ridiculous.

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

Not allowed. Gun deaths are specifically not allowed to be measured or discussed as a public health issue in the US. Scientific American did have an article on this a few years back where they did try to estimate the number and it was up there with traffic accidents as a leading cause of death.

That's right -- how could I have forgotten that?  Like in FL where words such as 'rising sea levels,' 'gay,' and 'climate change' can't be written or spoken or reported on -- I think this is where that began -- cannot count gun deaths but people have ways of adding them up.  Gun deaths are the number one killer of children it seems.

CVS IS THE WORST!!!!!!!  Like their automated checkout, their damned online scheduling of appointments just doesn't work.  I've been trying to get an appt. for about 12 days, and nothing I did finished the final confirmation of appt.  The program just stopped at that point.  I did fone calls, which looped me circles, telling me to call the pharmacy, but the pharmacy insists it doesn't schedule appointments.  I've been in the system for YEARS, as they are the pharmacy closest to where we are located -- three blocks away.  But no................

So today I finally opened a new account and I got an appointment confirmed.  For the end of next week.  I should have had this all taken care of and behind me by now.  Nothing in this country works.  Nothing.  Except guns -- they work very well at killing everyone no matter what mentally dysfunctional and deficient person has one.

Well I had 2.5 weeks of annual leave booked off from work that I really needed as I was very much on the brink of burnout if not fully there. Guess what? I got a bout of covid that has knocked me for absolute six. Maybe seven or eight. Damn, I feel like absolute shit after this one. Im so fatigued and am getting joint and muscle pains and major brain fog. Send some good vibes my way because I’m not sure how much longer I can keep going on my merry go cycle of burnout recovery burnout and recovery. 

That's rough. Being knocked for 7 or 8 sounds more like it, since if you knock a 6 you just stand there at the crease and watch the ball fly. If you want 7 or 8 you have to actually run them*.

HA HA! non-Commonwealth board members won't have a clue what I just wrote.

*Noting of course that in the usual understanding of the analogy you are the ball.

Today Partner was greeted by the doctor when he came in for accupuncture with the news that "We had two people come in yesterday with covid, and one this morning already.  Keep Your Mask On!  Covid Is Not Over!"

An amateur musical theatre friend of my sister, who has lupus and been vaxed to the eyeballs since vaccines were a thing caught C-19 (for the first time) at a recent rehearsal, and while infectious but before symptomatic went to a function with amateur musical theatre folks where 10 of the 30 people at the function came away with C-19 infections (about half of them first timers).

The friend was due for her next vax a few weeks back, but was also due for her lupus treatment around the same time. Both delayed because she had a normal cold and could not have her lupus treatment within a certain number of weeks of having the cold, which meant delaying the vax to have the lupus treatment because she can't have lupus treatment with in 2 weeks of being vaxed (for anything) and she didn't want to delay the lupus treatment further. 

She immediately went on to anti-virals after the positive C-19 test and had a very mild case of C-19. 

So yeah, C-19 definitely still getting around freely.

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

An amateur musical theatre friend of my sister, who has lupus and been vaxed to the eyeballs since vaccines were a thing caught C-19 (for the first time) at a recent rehearsal, and while infectious but before symptomatic went to a function with amateur musical theatre folks where 10 of the 30 people at the function came away with C-19 infections (about half of them first timers).

I'm hearing a lot of stories like this now; another reason that when indoors for anything, such as music, no matter what other people are not doing, we are masked.

Counting the days until next Thursday AM when I get my second bivalent/omicron booster.

The second wave is hitting China now lots of people sick lots of students asking for leave from class ect. I likely had it but didn't bother to get tested. 

Second bivalent booster this morning, fifth covid vax.  Looking forward to the fall when there should be a covid vaccine that may be good for a whole year.  The lovely fellow who administered my injection said he was looking forward to that too.  He also volunteered how sick he was of all the people who refuse to be vaccinated and their whiny stupid excuses.

Not the best night -- chills began to kick in about 9 PM, along with fatigue and general weakness.  But managed to keep eyes open until nearly midnight thanks to Partner reading to me.  Then even that was too much for my attention capacity.

I got progressively colder, until about 1:30 AM a low fever began. Removed sweater. 3:30 AM; removed sweat pants and sox; the other sweater came off at 5:30 AM, when I took regular strength ibu for the developed aches and pains and headache -- both chills and fever gone.  All that's over, but still fatigued and, just ... weird.  Such strange state this stuff is.

But! it wasn't anywhere near as severe or as long as the previous four reactions were!  Excellent! Definitely worth it for the protection against severe illness.