Covid 48: The Long March

Darzin

Not Over Yet: Late-Summer Covid Wave Brings Warning of More to Come
Hospitalizations are still low but are on the rise in recent weeks, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/us/covid-cases-hospitalizations.html

“I haven’t really had to think about the phrase ‘superspreader event’ in a long time.”

A late-summer wave of coronavirus infections has touched schools, workplaces and local government, as experts warned the public to brace for even more Covid-19 spread this fall and winter.

Hospitalizations have increased 24 percent in a two-week period ending Aug. 12, according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Wastewater monitoring suggests a recent rise in Covid infections in the West and Northeast. In communities across the United States, outbreaks have occurred in recent weeks at preschools, summer camps and office buildings.

Public health officials said that the latest increase in Covid hospitalizations is still relatively small and the vast majority of the sick are experiencing mild symptoms that are comparable to a cold or the flu. And most Americans, more than three months after the Biden administration allowed the 2020 declaration calling the coronavirus a public health emergency to expire, have shown little willingness to return to the days of frequent testing, mask wearing and isolation.

But for Americans who have become accustomed to feeling the nation has moved beyond Covid, the current wave could be a rude reminder that the emerging New Normal is not a world without the virus. ....

. . . the virus is still disrupting work, school and politics: A Covid outbreak tied to a City Council meeting in Nashville this month left more than a dozen people infected, including council members, city employees and at least one reporter. One of the people who tested positive for Covid, Freddie O’Connell, a City Council member who is in a Sept. 14 runoff election for mayor, said it was a stark reminder that the virus had once again taken hold in the community.

“All year long, there have been many Covid spikes in my personal network, but it hasn’t felt like this, where all of a sudden we’re back to events that we used to hear about in 2020, where suddenly dozens of people in one fell swoop all get it,” Mr. O’Connell said in an interview from his home, where he had been marooned for a five-day quarantine. “I haven’t really had to think about the phrase ‘superspreader event’ in a long time.” . . . .

Beyond news media reporting, it's unlikely we are the only people who are hearing consistently again from friends and friends of friends saying "Got covid" (often--"again").  For us it began with our friends returning from 6-7 weeks in Europe literally sick with it.  This is the second time they got covid, and this time, one of them had a relapse of it, after testing negative and feeling better.  ARGH.  Do Not Want.

Edited by Zorral

On the bright side, Biden seems to have said that we re going to give a shit ton of money to pharma companies so that everyone can get fresh vaccinations for the disease we funded the development of.  

I ve never actually read either the RNC or DNC platforms in detail but I doubt either of them ran on that!

Been ignoring these threads for a while. 

I got my booster today. I think it’s my 4th shot but I can’t even remember anymore.

I put it off because I actually caught Covid back in March. I felt like shit for about 2 weeks but otherwise fine. Not life threatening at any rate, but it was bad enough that I don’t want to feel like that again. 

My next booster will come the day I’m eligible. 

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I got my booster today. I think it’s my 4th shot but I can’t even remember anymore.

I put it off because I actually caught Covid back in March. I felt like shit for about 2 weeks but otherwise fine. Not life threatening at any rate, but it was bad enough that I don’t want to feel like that again. 

Seems like you don’t actually need the booster then 

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Covid-only booster or did the shot include RSV?

:worried: We continue to not learn lessons. The poor reporting around the current COVID spike is another example. Relying solely on waste water doesn't seem to really convey the potential risk/impact with a more vaccinated population. Though it does, so far, seem the long COVID can still impact those vaccinated as well.

I had a talk with a neighbour a few days ago and she revealed that is is on heavy immunosuppressants . She said she is constantly harassed on public transport for masking. At least her employer still allows 100% home office.

This is the world the anti-maskers and the people who tolerate their behaviour (the vast majority of people I feel) have created. Anyone who reminds people that COVID still exists is seen as an enemy around here I feel.

I have been harassed a few times myself but only when I went to cinema and concerts masked after mask mandates ended. Never in public transport but I'm a guy and those people usually go after people who can't threaten them.

I have only had bad experiences in Austria and Germany though never in other countries.

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

How’s that?

I have no idea. It was whatever was on offer.

Seeing as you have had multiple jabs, and had Covid only a few months ago with seemingly no issues, I'm wondering what benefits you think you will get from another booster? 

Just now, Heartofice said:

Seeing as you have had multiple jabs, and had Covid only a few months ago with seemingly no issues, I'm wondering what benefits you think you will get from another booster? 

I had Covid roughly 6 months ago. The guidance here is 5 months minimum from the last shot or Covid infection. 

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I had Covid roughly 6 months ago. The guidance here is 5 months minimum from the last shot or Covid infection. 

What are you expecting the Booster will do for you? What added level of protection do you think you will get that the previous infections and boosters are not giving you right now?

Which vulnerable category are you in currently?

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Why are you so angry about this? He's not making you get the booster.

Am I angry? I'm more curious as to why someone who doesn't seem to need a booster is so keen to tell everyone that they are getting a booster. 

Edited by Heartofice

41 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What are you expecting the Booster will do for you?

Um, protect me from future Covid infections(?).

What added level of protection do you think you will get that the previous infections and boosters are not giving you right now?

My last shot was a year ago. How much protection do you think that jab and previous jabs is giving me for the next six months, starting today? Show your work.

Which vulnerable category are you in currently?

The same one I was in when I caught Covid 6 months ago. 

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Am I angry? I'm more curious as to why someone who doesn't seem to need a booster is so keen to tell everyone that they are getting a booster. 

By what fucking right do you tell me I “don’t need a booster”? I gotta check with you before I go to the doctor? Feeling awfully full of ourselves today, aren’t we?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/28/covid-19-who-says-no-extra-booster-needed-for-medium-risk-adults

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it no longer recommends additional COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for regular, medium-risk adults, as the benefit is marginal.

For people who have received their primary vaccination course and one booster dose, there is no risk in having further jabs, but the returns are slight, the WHO’s vaccine experts said on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Um, protect me from future Covid infections(?).

How much protection do you expect to get over the protection you already have is what I'm trying to understand.

5 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My last shot was a year ago. How much protection do you think that jab and previous jabs is giving me for the next six months, starting today? Show your work.

Right and you also had Covid a few months go, adding to the already pretty substantial protection you already had.

The same one I was in when I caught Covid 6 months ago. 

So is that you aren't in a vulnerable category or you are? You don't have to say if you don't want to, but given you had Covid and you were mostly totally fine from it I'm going to assume you are not in a vulnerable category and wouldn't be in a set of people usually recommended to get another booster shot.

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

By what fucking right do you tell me I “don’t need a booster”? I gotta check with you before I go to the doctor? Feeling awfully full of ourselves today, aren’t we?

Wait, you were the one who came on here to tell us all about you getting a booster shot. 

It's so very simple, the explanation for why people vaccinate against the new strains of covid.  Good grief.  Get some brains.

Numbers are growing, and the new strains have replaced the old ones. Friends and family members report being sick and being very sick, and more of them have long covid, which by every account is AWFUL.

When cities and region start to very mildly suggest that people start taking very small very sensible precautions due to increasing hospitalizations, it means something, because politically and economically no cities and regions want to have to do this.

Capsic much? But idiots, you know.

Anxiously waiting for the new one to be released, hopefully next month.

I have followed these guidelines all along, and I haven't gotten covid, so far (though surely I shall at some point), and I've not gotten sick with ANYTHING AT ALL ever since covid arrived.  This, when I was sick with something or other several times every year all my life.  This really holds when one spends much time in an environment such as a university, tourist destination, etc.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/28/covid-19-who-says-no-extra-booster-needed-for-medium-risk-adults

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it no longer recommends additional COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for regular, medium-risk adults, as the benefit is marginal.

For people who have received their primary vaccination course and one booster dose, there is no risk in having further jabs, but the returns are slight, the WHO’s vaccine experts said on Tuesday.

How much protection do you expect to get over the protection you already have is what I'm trying to understand.

That Al Jazeera areticle is from 6 months ago. Here’s one that’s more recent.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/wave-or-surge-experts-differ-on-terms-but-agree-covid-cases-are-rising/wcm/fca31d11-2ba6-4964-92f6-cc6e45b87d40/amp/

Wait, you were the one who came on here to tell us all about you getting a booster shot. 

Yeah. How terrible of me to do that to you. 

So is that you aren't in a vulnerable category or you are? You don't have to say if you don't want to, but given you had Covid and you were mostly totally fine from it I'm going to assume you are not in a vulnerable category and wouldn't be in a set of people usually recommended to get another booster shot.

Assume what you want. It matters not at all. 

Right and you also had Covid a few months go, adding to the already pretty substantial protection you already had.

6 months ago. I also caught the flu a little while before that. I still plan on getting a flu shot when they become available in the fall. Do you approve? Oh, wait. I don’t give a shit. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That Al Jazeera areticle is from 6 months ago. Here’s one that’s more recent.

Has WHO guidance changed in that time? What do you think is different now?  Are people in non vulnerable categories with A LOT of previous protection suddenly in danger?

6 months ago. I also caught the flu a little while before that. I still plan on getting a flu shot when they become available in the fall. Do you approve? Oh, wait. I don’t give a shit. 

You can do it if you want, similarly if you aren’t in a vulnerable category then it’s probably not very necessary.