How is the weather out there?

LongRider

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Michigan" - Mark Twain, ca. 2023 (allegedly)

I thought it was "The coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in Alaska."  John Muir.   I was in Anchorage in the mid '70s for a couple of weeks, pretty cold!  

Edited by LongRider

At least the smoke from the fires in Canada has cleared up here though it still is blocking out the sky. Just a few days ago it felt like there were bonfires all around you. The smoke made a fireworks show look like a joke. 

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's back here today too, though not like last week.  It's also thunder stormy as heck, which pushed the smoke up high in the atmosphere.  Or so they say.

Probably looks kind of cool in the right light though. 

20 hours ago, LongRider said:

I thought it was "The coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in Alaska."  John Muir.   I was in Anchorage in the mid '70s for a couple of weeks, pretty cold!  

The original quote has been misattributed to Mark Twain, with the place in question being San Francisco (where I know he did spend some time based on a Star Trek episode). Dont think we'll find the real originator, probably lost to the mists of time.

Another weather quote that is correctly attributed to Twain is "If you dont like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes" - something also true for Michigan.

The original quote has been misattributed to Mark Twain, with the place in question being San Francisco

He also spent some time in Virgina City, Nevada, though it might have been known as Virgina Town at the time.  It was a mining town, silver, and contributed to Nevada's state motto, the Silver State.  I've been to VC and attest that it can be quite cold in the summer as it has a high elevation 6200ft, and the high desert climate which tends to be cold due to being so arid.   

(where I know he did spend some time based on a Star Trek episode)

Love this! 

Dont think we'll find the real originator, probably lost to the mists of time.

Indeed, John Muir sounds plausible as opposed to say, Abraham Lincoln, who we know didn't go to Alaska.  Or did he?  

94F outside , 87F inside. But my power should be coming back sometime tonight. 

Apparently it may take until next weekend for the whole area to be restored. 

Edit: Power still not back. Currently at 60 hours of no power. There were more T-Storms this morning. It’s cleared up for now, but there is a possibility of more passing through in the next few hours. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

54 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

my power should be coming back sometime tonigh

It's awful where you are all right.  An amiga in TX says she can't leave her house, because her car's a/c went on the fritz yesterday, and negotiating the freeways now w/o it is impossible for her (she's in her 80's).

And now another thunderstorm with hail for the next hour. Nature is being really mean this week. 

Edit: I was not expecting hail. Please no car damage. 

Edit 2: Some small dents on the hood. 

On 6/17/2023 at 7:15 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

And now another thunderstorm with hail for the next hour. Nature is being really mean this week. 

Edit: I was not expecting hail. Please no car damage. 

Edit 2: Some small dents on the hood. 

How are things with you otherwise?  Power?

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

How are things with you otherwise?  Power?

Still no power, but it should be back on Thursday at the latest. 

They’re down the street working on it now, so maybe today.

Edit: @Zorral No worries. It just kicked back on. Saved me a trip to the laundromat. 

We've had shitty spring so far, with A LOT of rain and cold (cold for that period of the year, of course). Yesterday was our first 30ºC day of the year, when usually we'd have almost the whole June and most of May in that temperature range.

I hate the heat, but after so much rain this year I welcome it.

After five weeks without a drop of rain, everything outside had been yellow and the general dryness had been alarming alongside troubling news about decreasing ground water levels. So the rain this last week had been very welcome...

... except of course that train rides in hot moist atmosphere with everyone ripping open the windows, causing a bone-chilling draft is just... ugh... I really didn't feel well today, my mind has been kind of hazy...