How is the weather out there?

LongRider

• 3 weeks later...

Very very nice down here in New Orleans.

That ought to change by Friday if not sooner.  Friends in Austin are very unhappy with their 33 degree temperatures.  Those up north as in IL and ND are even more unhappy.  - 2 in Fargo. 10 inches of snow fell on my brother's driveway, which is very long and very curvy.  Also dropping to 20 below he says They tell him.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh fuck, I was wondering why my internet dropped. It’s -20 and the power just went out.

Blankets, blankets, blankets! It's -14 here before the wind chill. But the weather is suppose to reach 30 by Sunday. Should be in the high 30's in Toronto by that time. Talk about swings in short periods. 

Heading out for the day, to Acadiana, where it is in the 30's.  This is in the US Deep South, which is why the temp is considered remarkable for February.  Evidently NYC is having one of the coldest weekends on record.

Edited by Zorral

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Blankets, blankets, blankets! It's -14 here before the wind chill. But the weather is suppose to reach 30 by Sunday. Should be in the high 30's in Toronto by that time. Talk about swings in short periods. 

In my neck of the woods, temperature is currently 17 F ( -8 C)  and dropping, which is a strange thing to see at 9:30 in the morning. Supposed to get to -15 F (-26 C) tonight with wind chills to -40 F (-40 C). And then on Sunday we're supposed to have a high of 46 F (8 C). Quite a swing indeed.

At least I can walk on the pond behind our house with Dante Jr on Saturday... It hasn't frozen solid enough for that this winter.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

In my neck of the woods, temperature is currently 17 F ( -8 C)  and dropping, which is a strange thing to see at 9:30 in the morning. Supposed to get to -15 F (-26 C) tonight with wind chills to -40 F (-40 C). And then on Sunday we're supposed to have a high of 46 F (8 C). Quite a swing indeed.

At least I can walk on the pond behind our house with Dante Jr on Saturday... It hasn't frozen solid enough for that this winter.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's wild. Stay warm until Sunday!

52 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

What age do kids start actually liking snow? My almost three year olds have a very adult attitude towards it: nice to look at from the comfort of a heated room. Outside? Not so much. 

Put them in snow suits and walk around in the snow with them, or they’ll hate winter. -20 C is not helping though.

56 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

What age do kids start actually liking snow? My almost three year olds have a very adult attitude towards it: nice to look at from the comfort of a heated room. Outside? Not so much. 

When you take them sledding and/or teach them how to ski or ice skate for the first time. 

Or if you're a monster, when you indoctrinate them with ice fishing. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Put them in snow suits and walk around in the snow with them, or they’ll hate winter. -20 C is not helping though.

We just babysat my 2 year old granddaughter who refuses to wear mitts and only wears her spring boots. My daughter at that age was the same.

Ahh the snow hill sledding. Those were the Darwinian moments when we always had one in the group that would invariably get stuck half way back up, boots filled with snow, tears freezing on their little faces, as we"d sled around them till some interloping adult did a rescue.

Great stuff it was.

The ice was thick enough on the pond to walk on today. Dante Jr and I spent about an hour before my cheeks started aching. He is much more comfortable in the cold, and would go out in freezing weather in a T-shirt if we let him.

The pond surface was like glass. From afar it looked like the surface was pretty rough and choppy, but when we got out there it was many small fractalized piles of powdered ice. Pretty neat.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ahh the snow hill sledding. Those were the Darwinian moments when we always had one in the group that would invariably get stuck half way back up, boots filled with snow, tears freezing on their little faces, as we"d sled around them till some interloping adult did a rescue.

Great stuff it was.

We dug big holes in the snow and made ramps right after them. Great way to have a lot of fun or knock the wind out of you. Especially in those shitty saucer sleds. 

Also, we targeted those poor fucks you're describing. None of this sledding around business.

Edited by Tywin et al.