NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stop. You literally argued that WRs didn't want to play with Lamar. 

I did say that, and I am still right. OBJ wasn't talking to Baltimore at all, he was NY Giants and Jets, Dallas etc..  Only after those and other teams either turned him away or made what he considered to be low offers did he then turn to Baltimore. And even then he tried to get NYJ to match the deal.  Doesn't sound like he wanted to go there until they backed up the Brinks truck and way over paid him.

18 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I did say that, and I am still right. OBJ wasn't talking to Baltimore at all, he was NY Giants and Jets, Dallas etc..  Only after those and other teams either turned him away or made what he considered to be low offers did he then turn to Baltimore. And even then he tried to get NYJ to match the deal.  Doesn't sound like he wanted to go there until they backed up the Brinks truck and way over paid him.

The Vikes will have to pay JJ double AAV over 3-4 years. Far from the Brinks truck. 

Good for the Ravens to actually try for a change though.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stop. You literally argued that WRs didn't want to play with Lamar. 

That could still be true, but eighteen million is eighteen million.  He wasn't getting anything close to that from anyone else and he took the bag.  I don't blame him.  It's probably his last big payday.  

Looking forward to when his dad starts cutting together footage on Twitter of Huntley not getting him the ball.

Edited by briantw

On 4/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, briantw said:

I think you need to separate QB from all other positions.  QBs are far more likely to survive their contract than any other position.  Realistically, most other positions get two to three year deals that have reasonable outs for the team after that, even if most big contracts are technically five years.

But as others have stated, there is zero way that Joe Burrow isn't getting every dollar of the next contract he signs unless he suffers some sort of career ending injury.  So why not just fully guarantee it?

Lets take it the other way. Why fully guarantee it, validate a precedent that the Browns set with an idiotic contract of a sexual assaulter and lock up operating cash if Burrow is going to see every dollar of the contract?

Dan Snyder agrees to sell the Commanders for $6 billion to Josh Harris (owner of 76ers and NJ Devils).

The Washington Commanders have an agreement in principle in place for Josh Harris and his group to purchase the franchise for $6 billion, a source confirmed to CBS Sports. The deal will set an NFL record for the most expensive sale in league history.

Good news.  When Snyder bought the team in the 90s, they had won 3 titles in the previous 15 years, and were the second most valuable NFL franchise (after Dallas).  In his almost 25 years of ownership, they had just 2 playoff wins and none since 2005.  They also embraced a culture of exploitation and misogyny, culminating in multiple congressional inquiries of sexual harassment (featuring both Snyder and his subordinates). 

I don't know anything about Harris, but the bar to be both a better owner and less of a scumbag could hardly be lower.  Living in the DC area most of my life, I can say that growing up, virtually everyone was a fan of Joe Gibbs and his team.  Nowadays, barely anybody follows the Commanders - I know far more former fans than actual ones. 

I don't know if I personally will come crawling back to this team or not.  But with Snyder gone, I will at least consider it.  I have enjoyed not having to stress about football every Sunday, but there is definitely something lost when you aren't a fan of any one team. 

Read a bit more about Harris and it sounds like he is considered a middle of the road owner in NBA and NHL circles.  He signed off on The Process, which indicates he's willing to embrace new ideas to win. 

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Read a bit more about Harris and it sounds like he is considered a middle of the road owner in NBA and NHL circles.  He signed off on The Process, which indicates he's willing to embrace new ideas to win. 

Plus, it means that Canadian with the Greek name didn't get it.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Plus, it means that Canadian with the Greek name didn't get it.

Hey, γάμα σε, eh?

Also, looking more and more like Trey is headed out. Weird feeling, it’s not like he’s a bust, it’s like we’ve been shadow boxing for 2 years and still have no idea what we have. Myself I think the opp cost of trading too early >> the opp cost of waiting too long, especially with Purdy hurt, but I’m hearing if it goes that way it will be by accident, not design. 

Edited by James Arryn

10 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Hey, γάμα σε, eh?

:P

10 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Also, looking more and more like Trey is headed out.

Really don't see the point of trading Trey when Purdy can't even start throwing for another two months.  Plus, talk about selling low.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

:P

Really don't see the point of trading Trey when Purdy can't even start throwing for another two months.  Plus, talk about selling low.

Totally agree, but I guess they are thinking that they are more defined by his failure if they keep him and he fails (obv) than they are w/e happens elsewhere. I don’t see it that way, but my job isn’t on the line. The other thing I keep hearing from one guy who is def not an insider but knows a few is this whole ‘How do you explain to Trent that he should be excited about coming back for another year or so if they are going with a project? My answer would be that Purdy’s injury gives you the perfect out with that, but I guess they feel that they have pushed the hectic qb room as far as they can, vets want a decision. 

Feels like the whole Kyle/Mac Jones/Trey/Jimmy thing will make for interesting reading a decade or so from now when we get it. 

edit: re: selling low, that might be our saving grace, they are apparently very concerned about at least the perception of selling low, and Jimmy shows us they can stick to those kind of guns.  But I guess you could argue that the Jimmy history is part of why there’s a push for a clearer direction, and waiting ended up meaning…I think the expected comp is a 3rd? 

Edited by James Arryn

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

The other thing I keep hearing from one guy who is def not an insider but knows a few is this whole ‘How do you explain to Trent that he should be excited about coming back for another year or so if they are going with a project?

Well, I'd start by saying the $20 million should help.  Anyway, I don't buy the Niners are gonna trade Lance at least until the have some idea that Purdy is going to make a full recovery.  Doesn't seem to be ShanaLynch's MO.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I'd start by saying the $20 million should help.  Anyway, I don't buy the Niners are gonna trade Lance at least until the have some idea that Purdy is going to make a full recovery.  Doesn't seem to be ShanaLynch's MO.

Here’s hoping. If we get past (second) draft day, I think we’ll be ok. 

Edit: if AP does get the Houston gig, that might be an issue. Almost my worst case scenario because it would mean he sees a lot there, and just thinks it’s a time-on-task issue. 

Edited by James Arryn

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Here’s hoping. If we get past (second) draft day, I think we’ll be ok. 

Yeah there's definitely a lull after the draft for a few months -- even for rampant Niner QB speculation which seems to be a national pastime at this point.

Recall at about this time last year Deebo demanded a trade...only to sign an extension a few months later when the Niners refused to move him.  I understand this is a very different situation - Lance clearly isn't demanding a trade - but it does highlight that as the draft approaches we entering the height of silly season/rumor-mongering.

Just now seeing the pricing for Sunday Ticket.  Yeah, that's a huge increase for me... I was using my step daughter's college info to allow me to get the streaming version of it from DirectTV.  It was something like $170.

Yeah, the NFL has explicitly said that they want this to be a"premium" product.  Which means unaffordable.

They want to keep the broadcast tv money train rolling and are willing to forgo other revenue streams to do it.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

That's what you want, all other things being equal. The worst is the rigid asshole who won't change for shit.

So party on. Also, get your ass in here @Jaime L

Edited by Tywin et al.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I’m a Devils fan and he’s been a pretty solid owner. Big on analytics, willing to spend to the cap, etc.

He’s also a minority owner of Crystal Palace, so this is now his 4th team. 

Damn, Snyder will clear just shy of $5 billion in profit from this sale.

"Considering all the personal money he invested, Snyder spent around $1.1 billion to gain complete control of the Washington Commanders. Hence, he is set to make an estimated 545 percent profit margin or approximately $4.9 billion from his investments once the sale is finalized."

Edited by DireWolfSpirit