[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

50 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

The strong indipendent woman that is actually weaker than the canonic character who has a family, a husband , a daughter and probably grandchildren too .

The strong indipendent woman that is so alone she is obsessed to her brother that actually died thousands years before the Rings of Power

Independent people can’t have obsessions and weaknesses?

The tv series has nothing to do with Lotr, there are characters that have same names to those in the books, but they are totally different , the plot is different too.

A bad product conceived by activists , I expect the second season to be as bad as the first one and I hope Season 2 is the last one

Did Tolkien write any letters or did any interviews where he explained why the Second Age is so long? Why there are such huge gaps between the age's major events? Sometimes I feel like he went too much on the timeline with the Second and Third Ages.

Imo, the show should have approached the timeline with an anthology mindset, connecting the seasons with the overall arch of the show's title along with a handful of major characters. You can possibly justify shrinking the timeline to a few centuries instead of a couple of millennia, that way besides Sauron and the Elves, you can still use the same actors for Númenor and the Dwarves for more than one season.

I think it's funny that the show went with this extremely shrunken timeline when at the same time House of the Dragon had no problem switching actors (in some cases more than once) for a period that is only about 20 years.

Edited by Corvinus85

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think it's funny that the show went with this extremely shrunken timeline when at the same time House of the Dragon had no problem switching actors (in some cases more than once) for a period that is only about 20 years.

House of the Dragon also does exactly what I expected RoP to do… flesh out the existing outline rather than creating a new timeline whole cloth.  

And which show is receiving dramatic accolades?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A bad product doesn’t have to be conceived by “activists”.  I’m not fond of RoP… but the accusation it has been created by “activists” is bizarre.

To be fair this is a dude who thinks that 'strong independent women' are (1) American culture and (2) bad. It's all giving a strong hint of incel. 

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

House of the Dragon also does exactly what I expected RoP to do… flesh out the existing outline rather than creating a new timeline whole cloth.  

And which show is receiving dramatic accolades?

To be fair I wasn't expecting RoP to do that because they're not allowed to. 

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair I wasn't expecting RoP to do that because they're not allowed to. 

Why not?  They have the full “Tale of Years” from the appendices of Lord of the Rings.  That provides the outline of the second… and earlier third age.  

One might hope that people who live as long as elves, etc., might not remain exactly the same over millennia.  Stasis is death.  And that seems to be one of the thematic matters of LOTR -- this age isn't that age, and in this age the elves leave Middle Earth because their time is over -- they haven't changed enough.  While hobbits and men have.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

One might hope that people who live as long as elves, etc., might not remain exactly the same over millennia.  Stasis is death.  And that seems to be one of the thematic matters of LOTR -- this age isn't that age, and in this age the elves leave Middle Earth because their time is over -- they haven't changed enough.  While hobbits and men have.

Cirdan the Shipwright (who I believe was among the Quendi who first awakened on Earth at Cuiviénen) is described as having a long white beard at the end of The Lord of the Rings.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A bad product doesn’t have to be conceived by “activists”.  I’m not fond of RoP… but the accusation it has been created by “activists” is bizarre.

One might interpret the change in the reason for Numenor's dislike for the Elves as an attempt to make a statement against anti-immigrant sentiments in the real world.

However I am happy to apply Hanlon's Razor here.

Tv series Galadriel is a poor imitation of Eowyn , Celebrimbor is younger than Galadriel and Finrod died thousands of years before the Rings, he died before the death of Glaurung and the War of Wrath .

American Politics is the main theme of the show, political stuff at the expense of art , the most important thing is the political message , no one complains about Eowyn, Arwen or Tauriel that was  invented 

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

Tv series Galadriel is a poor imitation of Eowyn , Celebrimbor is younger than Galadriel and Finrod died thousands of years before the Rings, he died before the death of Glaurung and the War of Wrath .

American Politics is the main theme of the show, political stuff at the expense of art , the most important thing is the political message , no one complains about Eowyn, Arwen or Tauriel that was  invented 

Nothing you've said is uniquely American and as you are making the claim that it is, the onus is on you to prove that claim. Why not Canadian? Or Belgian? Perhaps Andoran? Or Polish?

How are any of the purported "values" you've asserted were inserted into this show uniquely American? Did that country just somehow magically appear one day, out of thin air like sort of alien civilisation, with attitudes and ideas wholly unique unto themselves? 

Furthermore, MANY people complained about Tauriel - including Tauriel herself, so your statement is both incorrect and leads me to wonder how the hell you failed to be aware of this, as a Tolkien junkie. 

12 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Tauriel is fine, then the influence of a certain American cultural movement in the tv series is a fact , as a Tolkien junkie I'll keep reading the books 

Again: What certain American cultural movement? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? I can't decide if you're an edgelord troll or simply incapable of fully expressing yourself. 

If you say something is a fact, it should therefore not be that difficult to explain it. So again, for like the 792nd time: what fact? What American cultural movement?

Assemble words and make meaning. And if you can't/won't, I'm going to assume you're just a shit-stirring edgelord troll and block you.

27 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

then the influence of a certain American cultural movement in the tv series is a fact

Which cultural movement? Intermittent fasting a health aid, tofu cat litter, non-alcoholic cocktails, pretending Taylor Swift is President Biden, the return of clogs and every possible ugly shoe design, side hustles, pickleball shoes?  What?????????????????????

Oops I didn't need the pickleball shoes as ugly footwear is already on the list -- the cultural movement to ugly shoes is vast, and I cannot even keep up with its daily expansion. :crying:

Edited by Zorral