Westeros Fantasy Baseball 2023

Week

4 hours ago, Week said:

Congratulations @Jaime L - new champion!

Came out of nowhere like a bat out of hell in the last week. Impressive finish!

Thanks all for joining again for another year!

2 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Congrats Jaime!

Thanks both!

Genuinely shocked I'm the one to end @Week's 6 year reign of terror. Week felt legitimately unbeatable for so long and wouldn't call my baseball knowledge "expansive" at this point. Hadn't seriously contended in a long time, hell hadn't even finished above @Mexal in like a decade (which he helpfully reminds me of yearly). Was 40 points back in mid-May and Week was in the 100s, neither felt particularly unusual. Still not entirely sure how it all turned around. Corbin Carroll becoming godly didn't hurt. But also had my first good year on waivers since *checks notes* ever?

Anyway first time I've won a roto league since 2009 when I stole it on the last day of the season from @grozeng. Honestly feels fantastic, both finally winning again and having an opportunity to remind Groz of that fact. A bit sad for it to be over (and a day earlier than I was expecting). Thanks Week for running the league once again and looking forward to next year! 

Edited by Jaime L

WooHoo Jaime.  Finally someone else won.

Congrats to Week and WJ too.  Clearly the top of the league.

I was just glad I was able to pull out of 2nd to last place.  Missing a chunk of the draft bit me at the end but happy with 4th.  

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

WooHoo Jaime.  Finally someone else won.

Congrats to Week and WJ too.  Clearly the top of the league.

I was just glad I was able to pull out of 2nd to last place.  Missing a chunk of the draft bit me at the end but happy with 4th.  

Thanks Groz.

Kind of wonder if things would have gone any different if I'd picked up Elly De La Cruz for my NA spot instead of Christian Encarnacion Strand.  Had the choice between them, but went with CES because I thought he was closer to a callup.  Turns out that was wrong, and also that Elly was just much more valuable as a fantasy player.  Feel like your rise in the standings came around the same time that he was called up.

Probably wouldn't have mattered a ton, just a bump in steals and maybe a couple of other categories.  But in the end, think the reason I couldn't get to the top this year was my pitching.  My hitting was mostly great, but my pitching started strong and then cooled off (partly due to some injuries, and partly due to me trusting a few guys longer than I should have).

20 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Feel like your rise in the standings came around the same time that he was called up.

My pitching gettng healthy is what moved me up.  I  was near the lead in runs, average and OPS most of the season and near the bottom in pitching.  Which is ironic since everyone liked my pitching after the draft when I autodrafted Rodon, Musgrove, Gilbert and someone else.

My big problem this year is I waited too long to pick people up.  If I grabbed them when I first thought of it, I would have done much better.  I had Elly De La Cruz and dropped him and then Week picked him up and then dropped him and then I picked him up again.  Week and I exchanged De La Cruz for Westburg.  Also, I was looking to pick up Morel for about a week before Week got him and he went crazy.  Same with Ober before Bronn picked him up.  And I dropped Snell like an idiot.  I just waited too long on people and gave up to early on others.  Normally i keep people too long, but didn't do that this year.

I think you dropping Yandy Diaz was one that would have been better if you kept him.  He was the guy I meant to get in the draft as my sleeper and I forgot about him with my draft problems.  But once you dropped him I swept him up.  

32 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I think you dropping Yandy Diaz was one that would have been better if you kept him.  He was the guy I meant to get in the draft as my sleeper and I forgot about him with my draft problems.  But once you dropped him I swept him up.  

Oh yeah, that was definitely a mistake.  Honestly didn't think anybody else was on him, because he's always been a guy I can stream without much competition.  Was planning on having him most of the year, but think he got hurt without going on IL, so dropped him and expected to pick him back up in a few days.  Could have used his Runs and AVG.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:21 PM, Jaime L said:

Anyway first time I've won a roto league since 2009 when I stole it on the last day of the season from @grozeng. Honestly feels fantastic, both finally winning again and having an opportunity to remind Groz of that fact. A bit sad for it to be over (and a day earlier than I was expecting). Thanks Week for running the league once again and looking forward to next year! 

I totally forgot about that.  So, I lost this league twice on the last day because Week did that a couple of years ago too.  That must be some kind of record.

Well, I had fun this year.  Probably because I didn't have to stress about when Week was going to pass me for the lead since i was so far out of it so early.

6 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Oh yeah, that was definitely a mistake.  Honestly didn't think anybody else was on him, because he's always been a guy I can stream without much competition.  Was planning on having him most of the year, but think he got hurt without going on IL, so dropped him and expected to pick him back up in a few days.  Could have used his Runs and AVG.

I think we use a similar website for values.  I had Diaz as the most valuable player in the draft by a longshot towards the end of the draft.  I just needed help at MI and closer and spent my money on Vinnie Pasquantino at 1b and did not have anything left for Diaz.  I figured I would pick him up as a FA once players went on the DL.

Looking back, I think my season turned around when I dropped all the Guardians I was starting and picked up Wacha and Kopech for pitching and a couple of closers that actually got saves or holds (autodrafting Munoz after I already had Sewald didn't help my RP situation).  My pitching sucked the beginning of the year.  And Duran helped too.   My MI were terrible and then became somewhat respectable.

13 hours ago, grozeng said:

I totally forgot about that.  So, I lost this league twice on the last day because Week did that a couple of years ago too.  That must be some kind of record.

Oh wow, yeah, that happened in 2019. Looks like you were tied with Week going into the last day and then lost 2 points to fall into second. Genuinely can't believe that happened twice to the same team. 

But the good news? Those both happened when we were still doing full season leagues. Now that we end in July I'm sure will never happen again. 

In 2019, it was something like 2 SB or 3 HRs and I win.  If i had started one of my players earlier in the week when I forgot to change my lineup because of an early game, I win.  If Giancarlo Stanton was not hurt and hit even half his typical HRs, I win.  That year was a tough loss because it would have been different if I paid more attention to my lineup and game starting times.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 10:55 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not sure.  Haven't tried baseball in years.  What's the set up again? I may try, if only to allow Jaime the chance to avoid the basement...

Its an auction with $300 to spend on C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, 2 UT, 7 SP, 3 RP, and 6 Bench.  Scoring categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters and ERA, WHIP, QS, K, K/BB, Saves+Holds for pitchers.

Sounds like we have me, Bronn, Week, Jaime, Phil, and maybe Jaxom.  Probably going to need 2-3 more.

Mexal is a maybe (he's saying no but could change his mind).

Surprised we haven't heard back from JJ, Pyro, and groz yet.

45 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Its an auction with $300 to spend on C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, 2 UT, 7 SP, 3 RP, and 6 Bench.  Scoring categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters and ERA, WHIP, QS, K, K/BB, Saves+Holds for pitchers.

Is it still Roto?  Weekly?  Daily?  Where should I read to get some reminders?