Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Automobiles… in space… that can maneuver in orbit… with the steering wheel gas pedal and break pedal.

:shocked:

Hey, I know it's ludicrous nonsense. It's a guilty pleasure that I KNOW is a guilty pleasure. Nothing in that movie series makes sense, but it does so with such earnest silliness and B-grade insanity that I can't help but admire its goofy earnestness.

8 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Hey, I know it's ludicrous nonsense. It's a guilty pleasure that I KNOW is a guilty pleasure. Nothing in that movie series makes sense, but it does so with such earnest silliness and B-grade insanity that I can't help but admire its goofy earnestness.

That is far too much “suspension of disbelief” for me.  When it was about stealing cars… maybe… now.  Not if you paid me…

Just now, IlyaP said:

It will have...shiny objects? Pretty shiny objects? :D 

Sign me up!

Honestly though, a series centred around Rey could go either way, she’s such a bland nondescript character with no interesting qualities or personality, that you basically have a blank slate to work with. As long as she’s good at everything already and faces no challenges she’ll be fine. 

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Sign me up!

Honestly though, a series centred around Rey could go either way, she’s such a bland nondescript character with no interesting qualities or personality, that you basically have a blank slate to work with. As long as she’s good at everything already and faces no challenges she’ll be fine. 

So just sign here on the dotted line. Ignore the crimson ink and the rather nefarious looking feather...these are the droids you're looking for! :)

Edited by IlyaP

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Automobiles… in space… that can maneuver in orbit… with the steering wheel gas pedal and break pedal.

Some would consider it a sad fact of life that the average quality of a FF movie is higher than the average quality of Star Wars. Some are more neutral on it. But it is a fact of life. 

As I never saw Rey as any different than Luke or Anakin as being the best at everything because the plot required it, I'm on board with a new movie or movies centered around her character. Main caveat: just make it a good story.

Tall order, I know. 

Btw if you guys have seen react videos on YouTube of people watching Star Wars movies for the first time , everyone’s enjoyed 1-6 waaay more than 7-9 which just  leave them annoyed. That’s also telling of what Disney has done to this franchise. Although I’ll concede most people also liked rogue one and solo for reasons I’ll never understand…. 

Honestly, the prequel and the sequels are just bad in different ways. The former has some of the most boring characters I've ever seen in a movie and relies way too much on CGI. The latter just feels like it was copying the OT and led by Hollywood's most famous plagiarist, J.J. Abrams.

Edited by sifth

25 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Btw if you guys have seen react videos on YouTube of people watching Star Wars movies for the first time , everyone’s enjoyed 1-6 waaay more than 7-9 which just  leave them annoyed

1. Show me the quantitative analysis. Anything other than actual proper research that you can lay out is just supposition reinforced by in-built bias. In short, it's a cognitive blindspot because you're going to be looking, of course, for arguments or positions in alignment with yours.

2. Who cares? People were furious with Empire when it came out as well. People were furious with Return of the Jedi upon release (ewok hate). (And even moreso when Sebastian Shaw was replaced with Hayden Christiansen in later editions.)

If everyone liked something, I'd hesitate to call it art. You seem to conflate popularity with quality, which is not how art works. 

We get it: you don't like the sequel trilogy. No one is asking you to explain why you don't like it, nor needing you to find reasons to dislike them. 

Edited by IlyaP

25 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Although I’ll concede most people also liked rogue one and solo for reasons I’ll never understand…. 

Because they're interesting and doing something different, and in Solo's case, being good, street-level fun, with a rollicking score by John Powell, some visually engaging heist scenes, and Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge being absolutely terrific. 

It's a fun little bit of goofy escapism that's competently filmed by a well-known and respected director with a good eye for geography and framing and pacing. 

It is a solid, if unnecessary, film. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Paddington 2 is definitely art. 

I confess I have not seen either Paddington films. Watched the previews but nothing in them really spoke to me. 

P2 is also one of the most well-reviewed films in recent memory, if I'm not mistaken? Vaguely recall Pat Willems praising...one of them.

Just now, IlyaP said:

I confess I have not seen either Paddington films. Watched the previews but nothing in them really spoke to me. 

P2 is also one of the most well-reviewed films in recent memory, if I'm not mistaken? Vaguely recall Pat Willems praising...one of them.

Paddington 1 is good. It's entertaining, incredibly charming.

Paddington 2 is...

53 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Btw if you guys have seen react videos on YouTube of people watching Star Wars movies for the first time , everyone’s enjoyed 1-6 waaay more than 7-9 which just  leave them annoyed. That’s also telling of what Disney has done to this franchise. Although I’ll concede most people also liked rogue one and solo for reasons I’ll never understand…. 

^Jar Jar Binks is totally… wizard…^

Right?