WWWatching

TheLastWolf

I'm never in a million years going to watch this, so I'm probably going to miss out on some profound artistic message.

But can somebody tell me how this movie ever got made? Is child sex now okay?

She'd be a registered sex offender in most civilized countries.

Edited by Spockydog

39 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Man never try watching Law and Order SVU.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

Man never try watching Law and Order SVU.

What's that stain under the cupboard? No, the one even further back?

27 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You wanna bet?

I hope not. Twice women in their 30s came on to me when I was a young teen and...well... didn't get laid in these instances, but still two of the best nights of my life. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Twice women in their 30s came on to me when I was a young teen and...well... didn't get laid in these instances, but still two of the best nights of my life. 

Well, fifteen-year-old me had to essentially barricade myself in my bedroom to escape the advances of one of my mum's drunken friends. Still one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

But, um, bully for you. What a legend.

Edited by Spockydog

Finished The Night Manager last night and found it quite enjoyable.

Of course it's a show that exists mainly for the pleasure of seeing the tension between Hiddleston and Laurie, both turning up the charm to 11 and exchanging biting remarks in their impeccable Queen's English. Both actors deliver a remarkable performance - Laurie especially has incredible charisma as one of the world's worst monsters.
The plot is somewhere between Le Carré and James Bond (it's based on a book by Le Carré), which is not a great place to be, as it sometimes seems to take shortcuts (which, I'm assuming, don't come from the book) and requires some suspension of disbelief. Still very solid though, almost credible at times, like a British version of Lord of War. It felt a bit slow at first, but perhaps because the first episodes are rather predictable. It quickly revolves around the personalities involved, which means it has to be carried by the acting. But carried it is, because, again, Laurie and Hiddleston deliver.

Spoiler

I'm absolutely not sold on the explosives scheme. It just seems unlikely Price would have been able to mount the operation in such a short time, even with a trusted contact on the ground.
Generally speaking, Price is just too good, or extraordinarily lucky. The romantic vibe of the show feels outdated somehow, and the whole thing ends up feeling like déjà vu.

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Well, fifteen-year-old me had to essentially barricade myself in my bedroom to escape the advances of one of my mum's drunken friends. Still one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

But, um, bully for you. What a legend.

I'm sorry if I made you relive a bad experience. 

Barricade yourself in a room though? I have so many more questions.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm sorry if I made you relive a bad experience. 

Barricade yourself in a room though? I have so many more questions.

No sweat, man.

You remember Uncle Monty from Withnail and I...? 

Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by Spockydog

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No sweat, man.

You remember Uncle Monty from Withnail and I...? 

Let's just leave it at that.

Steering this back to the thread, no I don't recall ever seeing that. It's a random British dark comedy that came out before I was born. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm never in a million years going to watch this, so I'm probably going to miss out on some profound artistic message.

I too was skeptical but there’s no sex in the movie and the age gap is a central premise with the female character being highly aware of it. We also see her background life and experiences with men of her age and older and the overall development of her character does feel natural. YMMV.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I too was skeptical but there’s no sex in the movie and the age gap is a central premise with the female character being highly aware of it. We also see her background life and experiences with men of her age and older and the overall development of her character does feel natural. YMMV.

I think the movie is more around the emotional connection between two people and how they help each other through hard times in life. The guy is the one pursuing a relationship and she is mostly flattered but is constantly trying to bat him back. 

I agree it all felt natural with her character and I was never left with any kind of creepy feeling. 

On the other hand, growing up, Wierd Science was the hottest movie for a teenage me! Kelly Le Brock would these days be put on an offenders list but holy shit she was amazing. 

Somehow convinced myself that I had NOT seen The Imitation Game - largely because it had been sat in my Netflix list for years. Yet, after it had been on for five minutes I became absolutely certain that I had seen it before. That made it an unsatisfying experience even though it isn't a bad film to deliberately re-watch. 

After that I watched Triangle of Sadness, which I thought was really good, even if I did have to pause it partway through in order to have a rant about why Force Majeure (same director) got remade 'for Americans' when that was also a really good film. :blink:

Have just binged Red Rose while I'm bedridden with the second chest infection of 2023. Not mind-blowing but perfectly satisfying in a slightly updated chain letter teenage drama type of way. Anyone who loves a bit of north west England will enjoy it. I think. 

23 minutes ago, Isis said:

Somehow convinced myself that I had NOT seen The Imitation Game - largely because it had been sat in my Netflix list for years. Yet, after it had been on for five minutes I became absolutely certain that I had seen it before. That made it an unsatisfying experience even though it isn't a bad film to deliberately re-watch. 

After that I watched Triangle of Sadness, which I thought was really good, even if I did have to pause it partway through in order to have a rant about why Force Majeure (same director) got remade 'for Americans' when that was also a really good film. :blink:

I cannot imagine watching those two movies back to back. Both are great films, but kind of painful to experience. 

Sorry that you're bedridden. I've been in the same boat for the last month. It sucks. Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by Tywin et al.

So the threatened writers strike is no longer looming, they are on strike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Viewed the first episode of HBO's White House Plumbers, wondering if anyone else finds Lena Heady married to Woody Harrelson as ... odd ... as I find the chosen approach to these crimes as merely goofy comedy to be rather disconcerting, particularly with Liddy labeling his obsession with Hitler and nazis as inspirational, not, you know, supportive. It's not comic, its terrifying.

Edited by Zorral

Been watching Bear, that show about the restaurant.

I've seen this in peoples best of the year lists so I finally got around to checking it out. I think its a decent show, but I'm not seeing it as anything amazing or even that noteworthy. Everyone is good in it, but there is something about the story that just feels like something I've seen many times before. Maybe because I recently watched the UK movie Boiling Point, which I keep getting flashbacks to, and probably prefer. 

I keep watching it because the shots of the beef make me really hungry.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Started watching Black Earth Rising it's been enjoyable thus far.

Done with it. Generally good series, found the finale a bit disappointing. I would've ended it differently.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I cannot imagine watching those two movies back to back. Both are great films, but kind of painful to experience. 

Sorry that you're bedridden. I've been in the same boat for the last month. It sucks. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. Catching up on a lot of reading and watching! But missing out on everything else.

I just finished Dead Ringers and it was bloody marvellous. Rachel Weisz is incredible. Obviously. Watch it.