Football: Windows of missed opportunities

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

Now that he had the whole season, what are your thoughts on Antony? From what I've seen of United this season he didn't impress, with his foolish "dribbling" turning around in circle and all that, but I'd like to hear from people who watched him enough to form an educated opinion.

I don't think Antony has been rubbish. I'd rate his season as slightly above average. He got 10 goals + 5 assists which isn't the worst return but not that good either. He works hard, presses well, helps out a lot defensively and has been important to the team's shape, however his end product has been poor more often than not and he hasn't offered much in the way of creative play. I also don't think Antony will develop into a top class player. I said it at the time and I've seen nothing to change my mind since: United paid €100m for a player who is worth no more than €50m at an absolute maximum.

31 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I don't like that. He'll be good for City. On the plus side presumably that means Gundogan's leaving though.

He'll absolutely fit City.

On the plus side - compared to Gündogan - he doesn't really score.

I think it's pretty risky if we lose Partey & Xhaka, that's our core midfield from last season, and they were both excellent, really.

( Will lose no sleep over Partey leaving though and I hope he leaves the club)

Edited by Raja

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I think it's pretty risky if we lose Partey & Xhaka, that's our core midfield from last season, and they were both excellent, really.

( Will lose no sleep over Partey leaving though and I hope he leaves the club)

It's only a matter of time before the law comes for Partey. I don't believe it is a coincidence that his form truly went to shit in the wake of a third woman coming forward with rape allegations.

Good fucking riddance.

n.b. Seeing as there is no extradition between UK and Saudi, I'm guessing that's where he will end up. Having said that, I believe he's currently on bail, so I guess he'd have to skip the country in one of his mate's yachts or some shit.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, baxus said:

You are aware that we're in the offseason at this point? :lol:

Or were you talking in general?

Offseason? There were three games yesterday. You fuckers make these dudes play 10 months out of the year and bridge the gap with the Women's WC :P

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Offseason? There were three games yesterday. You fuckers make these dudes play 10 months out of the year and bridge the gap with the Women's WC :P

Believe it or not, it is offseason. All major leagues are finished, international club football is done (the qualifiers for UEFA club competitions will start soon, though)... three games per day are nothing, during the season you get literally hundreds of matches per week just in top 5 leagues and European club competitions.

To be honest, no one cares about Women's WC. When I say "no one", I'm comparing it to men's equivalent.

9 minutes ago, baxus said:

Believe it or not, it is offseason. All major leagues are finished, international club football is done (the qualifiers for UEFA club competitions will start soon, though)... three games per day are nothing, during the season you get literally hundreds of matches per week just in top 5 leagues and European club competitions.

To be honest, no one cares about Women's WC. When I say "no one", I'm comparing it to men's equivalent.

Yeah I wouldn't die on that hill. Women's sports are growing pretty rapidly overall and the Women's WC is popular in a lot of countries.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2022/11/28/the-fastest-growing-audiences-on-tv-are-for-womens-sports/?sh=5a4f327a2242

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I wouldn't die on that hill. Women's sports are growing pretty rapidly overall and the Women's WC is popular in a lot of countries.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2022/11/28/the-fastest-growing-audiences-on-tv-are-for-womens-sports/?sh=5a4f327a2242

Yeah, let's compare numbers on this:

[quote]The report found that viewership for all rounds of women’s March Madness ballooned by 81% compared to 18% growth for the men’s NCAA tourney.[/quote]

Would you rather have men's or women's March Madness numbers?

While we're on topic of men's vs women's basketball, currently Women's Eurobasket is ongoing and I've watched Serbia's game against Hungary. The difference in the level of quality is staggering. Serbia's point guard was being praised for 4/12 FGs made. Come on, Russell Westbrook would be embarrassed about that.

P.S. Sorry about the thread derail, everyone.

6 hours ago, baxus said:

Now that he had the whole season, what are your thoughts on Antony? From what I've seen of United this season he didn't impress, with his foolish "dribbling" turning around in circle and all that, but I'd like to hear from people who watched him enough to form an educated opinion.

I've probably said this before, but Antony's been in the awkward position of having been perfectly fine for a young player just coming from the Eredivisie and having to adapt while also essentially being tasked with holding the fort for the new manager's sensibilities while the rest of the team learns them, but absolutely rubbish for a 90mil marquee signing.