Videogames Latest: Starfields of Glory

Werthead

12 hours ago, Raja said:

Bethesda not giving review codes to some big EU/ UK outlets such as Eurogamer is a bit meh. Same with Skill Up

The Eurogamer one is definitely suspect. Seems like Bethesda didn't give review codes to any reviewer owned by ReedPop, which is a division/subsidiary of RELX; a large UK conglomerate. Which feels like the result of some sort of weird corporate bad blood between them and Microsoft itself. But Eurogamer is big enough in the gaming space that as soon as they publicly complained someone high enough up at Bethesda/Xbox made sure to get them a code quickly.

The Skill Up one makes sense though. After Fallout 76 released, he said he was going to be "hostile" to the next Bethesda release. If a reviewer has publicly said they'll be biased against you it makes sense to blacklist them from review codes.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

The Eurogamer one is definitely suspect. Seems like Bethesda didn't give review codes to any reviewer owned by ReedPop, which is a division/subsidiary of RELX; a large UK conglomerate. Which feels like the result of some sort of weird corporate bad blood between them and Microsoft itself. But Eurogamer is big enough in the gaming space that as soon as they publicly complained someone high enough up at Bethesda/Xbox made sure to get them a code quickly.

The Skill Up one makes sense though. After Fallout 76 released, he said he was going to be "hostile" to the next Bethesda release. If a reviewer has publicly said they'll be biased against you it makes sense to blacklist them from review codes.

It's not just Eurogamer, but other UK/ EU outlets too.

Re: Skill Up - you're going to have to find the exact quote for me because I haven't read/ seen that. Skill Up's 76 reviews were good in that they correctly criticized several of Bethesda's marketing practices & the mess that that game was. I don't think there was anything 'biased' in those reviews at least. Those reviews were exactly what critics should be doing.

I'm not sure about the specific quote you're talking about there, but happy to read it if you can provide it.

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

It's not just Eurogamer, but other UK/ EU outlets too.

Re: Skill Up - you're going to have to find the exact quote for me because I haven't read/ seen that. Skill Up's 76 reviews were good in that they correctly criticized several of Bethesda's marketing practices & the mess that that game was. I don't think there was anything 'biased' in those reviews at least. Those reviews were exactly what critics should be doing.

I'm not sure about the specific quote you're talking about there, but happy to read it if you can provide it.

starts at just after the 23:52 mark.

The exact line is:

"I've gone from being giddy with excitement for Elder Scrolls 6 to being actively hostile."

Any reviewer saying they have predetermined thoughts about a future game should be rightfully blacklisted.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Eurogamer, for decades, refused to give review scores, saying they were bullshit and people should just read the review. They eventually caved, but decided to do a 5-point system to keep things simple.

However, that led to games like Zelda and Baldur's Gate 3 getting 4/5s, and thus rated on Metacritic as 8/10 (since it is impossible for a Eurogamer game to be rated 9/10). That's led to not just Bethesda, but other companies apparently getting concerned that otherwise excellent games are getting "marked down" because of the limited way the system worked. Hence, no review code.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Eurogamer, for decades, refused to give review scores, saying they were bullshit and people should just read the review. They eventually caved, but decided to do a 5-point system to keep things simple.

However, that led to games like Zelda and Baldur's Gate 3 getting 4/5s, and thus rated on Metacritic as 8/10 (since it is impossible for a Eurogamer game to be rated 9/10). That's led to not just Bethesda, but other companies apparently getting concerned that otherwise excellent games are getting "marked down" because of the limited way the system worked. Hence, no review code.

That actually makes a lot of sense. At least match the score template of the accumulator or we'll consider not giving a code due to your inability to produce a nuanced score.

Damn damn damn. Volition have been shuttered.

DescentFreespaceRed FactionSummonerSaint's Row. A killer line-up of franchises, and Freespace 2 at least was a God-tier all-timer game.

They also did D&D tie-in meme videos a good decade before everyone else got in on the act.

Embracer ended up being left in the lurch when Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund pulled out of a $2 billion investment, and the shuttering of Volition (and other studios) is the consequence as Embracer restructures.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

This is so infuriating. Eurogamer, for example, wrote probably the only honest review of Baldur's Gate 3 out there, and got slagged for giving it anything other than a 10/10. The whole numerical system is so goddamn pointless. ART IS NOT MATH.

10 hours ago, Fez said:

predetermined thoughts

76 was rightfully panned by a lot of critics given the dubious market practices by Bethesda and also the terrible state the game was released in; approaching the next release with skepticism makes perfect sense to me and there's no 'bias' in that.

Though I guess I understand Bethesda staff being miffed about Skill Up coming out with that review - but I think the proof is really in Bethesda's response to Eurogame - as soon as Eurogamer made it public that

1. They did not receive review codes

2.  That is unprecedented for Eurogamer and hasn't happened to them in a long time and how that's bad for transparency & reviewing of games

Once that article was made public, Bethesda released a review code in 2 hours for Eurogamer, which tells me it's just not great behaviour from bethesda and once the optics didn't look great they decided to release the code to them immediately

( It's also not just these two, there are quite a few other outlets that haven't received codes)

2 hours ago, Raja said:

76 was rightfully panned by a lot of critics given the dubious market practices by Bethesda and also the terrible state the game was released in; approaching the next release with skepticism makes perfect sense to me and there's no 'bias' in that.

Though I guess I understand Bethesda staff being miffed about Skill Up coming out with that review - but I think the proof is really in Bethesda's response to Eurogame - as soon as Eurogamer made it public that

1. They did not receive review codes

2.  That is unprecedented for Eurogamer and hasn't happened to them in a long time and how that's bad for transparency & reviewing of games

Once that article was made public, Bethesda released a review code in 2 hours for Eurogamer, which tells me it's just not great behaviour from bethesda and once the optics didn't look great they decided to release the code to them immediately

( It's also not just these two, there are quite a few other outlets that haven't received codes)

Fallout 76 is hot garbage, especially in it's release state. But "skepticism" is not the same "actively hostile" when thinking about a potential future game.

Edited by Fez

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

Fallout 76 is hot garbage, especially in it's release state. But "skepticism" is not the same "actively hostile" when thinking about a potential future game.

He's talking about his feelings when anticipating the game as opposed to his actual review of it - that's not 'predetermined thoughts' about the game :dunno:, especially when you consider that no one reviews games ( or anything) from 'neutral', whatever that means.

Bethesda getting precious about releasing a hot garbage game & being called out about it by reviewers is meh.

As an aside, just started with starfield and the combat feels really good and is miles ahead of the other stuff bethesda has done - wish it had leaning though, that would have made it perfect

Edited by Raja

@IlyaP

I doubt Roberts cares. I'm still waiting patiently. I've cruised around in the alpha before and it's ridiculous how good it looks, but also just how ambitious it is -- feature creep on feature creep, adding more bugs on bugs. Will it ever end? I do not know, but if they jut get Squadron 42 out, I'll be happy enough. I pledged when the original fundraising campaign started, and that's all I've really been interested in, I'm not that much into multiplayer.

@Ser Not Appearing

Putting your stream on now and laughed at your son's bloodthirsty response on what he wanted to do. Good start to proceedings.

I’m not convinced by Starfield, reviews do look pretty bleugh right now and even if 76 was bad, Fallout 4 was a bit of a mess too in reality. I did actually end up putting a lot of hours into the game and I like the ambition but so much of it felt thrown together and lacking in cohesion. I’m happy to stick to BG3 for some time!

Anyway, I got the DLC for Warhammer 3, despite the controversy, and its not really very good. The lack of content is noticeable and none of the campaigns seem especially fun. The Kislev Lord doesn’t have access to Kislev units for ages which means you are basically stuck fielding spiders for pretty much the entire game. Makes for a very boring play through. Oh dear.

Very excited that Steam is letting me download this colossal Starfield installation. It came free with my recent video card upgrade, and I'll certainly try it to push this 6800xt hard. Good lord, 87gb?! Also, I'm 37 gigs in already - good lord our network speeds these days are bananas. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Anyway, I got the DLC for Warhammer 3, despite the controversy, and its not really very good. The lack of content is noticeable and none of the campaigns seem especially fun. The Kislev Lord doesn’t have access to Kislev units for ages which means you are basically stuck fielding spiders for pretty much the entire game. Makes for a very boring play through. Oh dear.

This is a winter steam sale for me after watching some reviews for it. The price is definitely too high for the content.

I fully intend to get Starfield unless overall reviews say it's a buggy stinking pile. In the meantime I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 3 so that's a lot of hours of entertainment. And if reviews are decent enough, I might get Total War: Pharaoh in October. So Warhammer 3 is on a long pause for me.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

@IlyaP

I doubt Roberts cares. I'm still waiting patiently. I've cruised around in the alpha before and it's ridiculous how good it looks, but also just how ambitious it is -- feature creep on feature creep, adding more bugs on bugs. Will it ever end? I do not know, but if they jut get Squadron 42 out, I'll be happy enough. I pledged when the original fundraising campaign started, and that's all I've really been interested in, I'm not that much into multiplayer.

@Ser Not Appearing

Putting your stream on now and laughed at your son's bloodthirsty response on what he wanted to do. Good start to proceedings.

Hahaha

It was an interesting stream filled with my inabilities, plus Dad duties. Streaming more now and ... similar.