Diablo 4 - Hellish Grind

Relic

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So the mount Carrie’s over but not the area rep?  That was very disappointing.

The area rep - at least some of it - carries over. So do altars of lilith. But not everything does.

My problems with the game aren’t at all with gameplay or class balancing. I think they’ve done quite well there. Obviously people get upset about it but I’m happy with it. My problems are

1. content content content

2. qol issues

3. transparency/communication 

But really it’s just 1. They need more things to do. Feels similar (but on a lesser scale) to what we went through with Anthem.

Edited by Arakasi

2 hours ago, JGP said:

I'd like to give the DIV team a nod for their Seasonal Chapter aids. Been stuck on Chapter 3, apparently I need to speak to what's his face, he's supposed to be at some Zakarum Ruins, but there's nada on the map. This is the kind of Mickey Mouse shit that never would've made it through the PTR.

Another indication they're more or less blithely winging it and just reacting like fucking n00bs.

Update: turns out that trailing Seasonal Journey progress can cockblock Seasonal Chapter progression. Really shouldn't have to figure this sheesh out on our own. 

Edited by JGP

2 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

The area rep - at least some of it - carries over. So do altars of lilith. But not everything does.

I have maxed out area rep in Eternal. Every zone.  Every level.  

Started a seasonal rogue this afternoon and got zero skill points.  Zero extra potions. Etc.

And when I found my first altar of Lilith, I got the message that the bonus would be shared with all characters on the realm as if it was brand new.

:dunno: 

So they changed it so tier 100 now is like tier 70 was before, which is probably fine for us. Wudijo did say nightmare pushing was dead so that’s something. They did say they have some aspirational content coming soon but if Lillith is the only difficult content that’s an issue. Problem is they are just overreacting too much. Having things a bit too difficult is better than too easy. It’s dumb that in a day they said they don’t want to take away character options without giving new stuff they did the same for d4 endgame. As someone who’s worked in game dev for a long time their choices confuse me.

10 hours ago, Arakasi said:

Just go log in with your old characters. Then jump back on your new character you’ll have it all. It’s weird they coded it this way or couldn’t do it more generically but so that and you’ll have all your Lilith and explore. 

Interesting how that works.

Went into the seasonal character and still only got the first rank from each zone.  Five extra skill points is nothing to sneeze at, but still slightly underwhelming.

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Interesting how that works.

Went into the seasonal character and still only got the first rank from each zone.  Five extra skill points is nothing to sneeze at, but still slightly underwhelming.

I got the first two ranks so potions as well. Basically the renown that carried over was Lillith shrines and map discovery.

28 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

I got the first two ranks so potions as well. Basically the renown that carried over was Lillith shrines and map discovery.

Ah.  I got most of my rep through strongholds, quests, and aspect dungeons.  I haven't done a massive Shrine hunt yet.

21 hours ago, Arakasi said:

My problems with the game aren’t at all with gameplay or class balancing. I think they’ve done quite well there. Obviously people get upset about it but I’m happy with it. My problems are

1. content content content

2. qol issues

3. transparency/communication 

But really it’s just 1. They need more things to do. Feels similar (but on a lesser scale) to what we went through with Anthem.

This is why I checked out. The campaign is great. The post game is just repetitive. Now granted that's a feature of the Diablo games, but there was always something to pursue. This one so far is just leveling and more gear for the sake of it. They've got to add some meaningful things to do, especially now that the seasons are beginning because you can't grind forever just to restart the process every few months. 

Whilst I don't disagree with people's issues with the lack of content, I have to say, this is about where I expected the game to be at this point. Not a ton to do once you've levelled up, but getting there is kind of fun.

I like the paragon boards, and for a number of classes there's a real sense of progession and power increase as you get further in.

Not that there aren't a lot of issues with the game, of course. The UI is pretty terrible overall, providing little to no information on people in your group or clan. Finding people is a massive pain, and of course the inventory situation is pretty desperate too.

I watched the campfire chat, and on the face of it the intentions of the developers are good, but there have been so many poor decisions made so far. For all the talk of balance, they seem to be balancing classes internally against their own builds rather than against  the other classes. This has meant that a class like rogue which is well formed early on, with multiple viable builds, is left alone, but classes like barb or sorc, where the design of the class leaves them reliant on few skills, are punished for having no options.

They see 3 popular skills and one unpopular skill on rogue, so they buff the unpopular one.

They see 1 popular skill on barb and 3 unpopular ones, so the nerf the popular one.

And then there are the uber uniques. As I understand it, the average person would need to see 400,000 Temeritys drop before they see an uber. This is just idiotic. Even if everyone in this thread lives for another fifty years and plays Diablo 4 for 2 hours of every day of those fifty years, none of us will likely ever see one.

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

And then there are the uber uniques. As I understand it, the average person would need to see 400,000 Temeritys drop before they see an uber. This is just idiotic. Even if everyone in this thread lives for another fifty years and plays Diablo 4 for 2 hours of every day of those fifty years, none of us will likely ever see one.

Mmn hmn. Chase items should be hard to get, but nigh on statistically impossible? Get dafuq outa here. 

There's lots to criticize with this game, but so long as they're learning and adjusting I'm ...ok... Provided I don't pause to consider that the Devs really should know better. Feels like someone fucked the BANT chart lol

---

Just to see if I could, did the Capstone to open TIII last night at lvl 45. A bit rough on the initial couple passes until I temp swapped Leap for Iron Skin, after that dundee. 

Edited by JGP

3 minutes ago, JGP said:

Just to see if I could, did the Capstone to open TIII last night at lvl 45. A bit rough on the initial couple passes until I temp swapped Leap for Iron Skin, after that dundee. 

Didn't have much luck with my necro with legendary drops on the way up, so I ended up doing the capstone at maybe 46 after doing a couple of dungeons to get aspects on my gear. Pretty easy in the end, but I can feel the nerf the class got pre-season.

Early 50s now, and farming side quests for renown. Did one Helltide, but it was horribly laggy so I'll leave that alone for a bit.

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Early 50s now, and farming side quests for renown. Did one Helltide, but it was horribly laggy so I'll leave that alone for a bit.

I'll try a Helltide later [currently in the middle of a lake paddle boarding with the girls] but I saved several side quest turn ins due to uncertainty if it'd overcap Renown before I opened up TIII, or if I'd lose the extra. 

Have noticed the lag, understandable this early in season.

Edited by JGP

24 minutes ago, JGP said:

I'll try a Helltide later [currently in the middle of a lake paddle boarding with the girls] but I saved several side quest turn ins due to uncertainty if it'd overcap Renown before I opened up TIII, or if I'd lose the extra. 

Have noticed the lag, understandable this early in season.

Just to confirm, you can't waste renown - anything over the pre-T3 levels is remembered and carries over.

Enjoy the lake, and try not to drop your phone!

My Sorc just got to 40 I’ll do the first capstone in a few levels. I do feel a bit squishy but also fairly strong. Fun to throw lightning around and I know I’ll appreciate the defensive options lightning gets later. Main thing is I need to raise my crit since so much of how lightning works is based off that. I might try switching to charged bolt at some point to see how it feels compared to chain lightning. Trying to do it without dipping into devouring blaze which is still good post nerf.

Barb playing with my sons necro and doing Wudijo’s walking arsenal build. It’s pretty fun and will get better once my death blow more consistently chunks mobs. I just got the passive buff which should help damage.

Edited by Arakasi

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is why I checked out. The campaign is great. The post game is just repetitive. Now granted that's a feature of the Diablo games, but there was always something to pursue. This one so far is just leveling and more gear for the sake of it. They've got to add some meaningful things to do, especially now that the seasons are beginning because you can't grind forever just to restart the process every few months. 

Right now to me the content is the classes. Which will cover me through season 2 but they better get something substantial by 3.