Best of the internet thread: Bester

Derfel Cadarn

Of course we must give weight to the repetition of 'appear', 'could have', 'may', etc.  Wes still don't know the answers.  But these speculations are of interest, to me, anyway.  Ha!

Where did they all go? How Homo sapiens became the last human species left

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/nov/18/where-did-other-human-species-go-vanished-ancestors-homo-sapiens-neanderthals-denisovans

.... An important advantage that our direct ancestors appear to have had was population size. “Because of those small population sizes [among Neanderthals and Denisovans], there was a lot more interbreeding and the genetics reflects that,” says Scerri. The lack of genetic diversity would have rendered these populations more susceptible to diseases and thus less likely to survive.

H sapiens, by comparison, had larger groups and greater genetic diversity. The consequences of this extend beyond fitness against disease. “In H sapiens, we see larger social networks extending across the wider landscape,” says Stringer. “Having wide networks gives you an insurance policy because if you’re related to people a bit further away, if there is an environmental crisis – you’re running out of food or water – you can move into their environments and they’re not enemies, they’re your kin.” Such networks also allow for the exchange of ideas and innovation, Stringer adds.

This social resilience could have helped H sapiens survive climatic changes that would have killed off less adaptable individuals and species. A 2022 study in Nature modelled the ancient climates and ecosystems in which H erectus, H heidelbergensis and Neanderthals lived and found that they lost significant portions of their environmental niches before disappearing.

A larger 2023 simulation, which included six Homo species and the climate and vegetation over the past 3m years, found that later Homo species were able to live in a wider range of habitats, particularly H sapiens. ....

Edited by Zorral

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It took months but I finally got a Bluesky invite.  I'm not interested any more so here it is to whomever may want it. *******************************************

Hi friend,

Thanks for your patience! We're excited for you to join the early conversation on the Bluesky app. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Download “Bluesky Social” from the iOS or Play store
  2. Enter in your invite code: bsky-social-mperf-habwj

See you soon!

The Bluesky Team

I was very conflicted about where to post this... uk pol thread? International events? It's just so amazingly awesome that I needed to find a way to maximise visibility so the greatest number of people possible could enjoy it. 

You're welcome! 

On 12/22/2023 at 1:08 PM, kissdbyfire said:

I was very conflicted about where to post this... uk pol thread? International events? It's just so amazingly awesome that I needed to find a way to maximise visibility so the greatest number of people possible could enjoy it. 

You're welcome! 

There seems to be a spelling error on that picture - shouldn’t it say “Chunky Boris”?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 11:08 AM, kissdbyfire said:

You're welcome! 

If I could get wet, I'd be wet right now. Am I right ladies? C'mon.