Best of the internet thread: Bester

Derfel Cadarn

Wow. That’s um….

“Eager?”
“Enthusiastic?”
“Fill me up?”

I don’t know the words exactly. Either way, well done. From the gown and headgear I’d say that was a bishop or a pope. They sure knew how to party. 

ETA: that carpenter must have carved that in-situ. High up, on a scaffold, in the dark. Eat my ass, Michelangelo.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

34 minutes ago, LongRider said:

While I find the statue interesting, what puzzles me is; a restaurant in a church?  H’uh

:dunno:

One of our favorite experiences was a bookstore and restaurant that we enjoyed in Inverness, situated in a former church.  The bookstore included all the balconies, and the ploughman's pickle was outstanding.

Just now, Zorral said:

This is a common re-use of churches.  Sheesh, even way back in 1983 here, fer pete's sake, the Limelight nightclub.

I didn't realize that the church was no longer in use.   I don't get out much.   :dunno:

51 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I remember waaayyy back in the day my younger brother and I were dropped off by my mom at the movies.  On the bill?  Psycho.  We watched a lot of it through our fingers.  

Let me guess, your brother and you didn't wear seatbelts in the car, and she smoked with the windows up.  Awww, the good old days!

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Let me guess, your brother and you didn't wear seatbelts in the car, and she smoked with the windows up.  Awww, the good old days!

Ugh. My dad would hot box the car on rainy days driving up to the family cabin which took around four hours. It was so fucking gross.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ugh. My dad would hot box the car on rainy days driving up to the family cabin which took around four hours. It was so fucking gross.

My mother would leave myself and sibs in the car while she went shopping.  No seatbelts until I was a teenager.  Family with lots of kids, we were jammed in everywhere.  She smoked while we were little.  She told me that the women in the maternity wards at times she was birthing her babies all smoked on the wards.  These are the 'good old days' I would never want back.  

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

My mother would leave myself and sibs in the car while she went shopping.  No seatbelts until I was a teenager.  Family with lots of kids, we were jammed in everywhere.  She smoked while we were little.  She told me that the women in the maternity wards at times she was birthing her babies all smoked on the wards.  These are the 'good old days' I would never want back.  

I'm sure they had to walk five miles to work uphill and ten miles up even bigger hills to get home then too. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm sure they had to walk five miles to work uphill and ten miles up even bigger hills to get home then too. 

I did walk to school until the 7th grade.  Before the 7th grade, we lived in Cheyenne, WY and there was plenty of snow in the fall, winter and spring.  Not 10 miles though.  After the fam moved to California, we were bused to school, a whole 'nother type of adventure.   Damn, I'm glad I'm not a kid anymore.   

Edited by LongRider

49 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I did walk to school until the 7th grade.  Before the 7th grade, we lived in Cheyenne, WY and there was plenty of snow in the fall, winter and spring.  Not 10 miles though.  After the fam moved to California, we were bused to school, a whole 'nother type of adventure.   Damn, I'm glad I'm not a kid anymore.   

Cheyenne is actually on my short list of names for potential kids. Works for boys and girls.  

My grandparents smoked in their car whixh had no belts on the back (at that time legally you only had to wear thr belts of fitted). They eventually had seatbelts installed in thr back.

Still smoked though, my asthma be damned