Hollywood STRIKES UPDATE: SAG AFTRA reaches agreement with AMPTP!

Mladen

7 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Looks like the writer's strike is tentatively over, but they will still be striking with their actor cohort and all deals are tentative pending final wording - so it could potentially resume if certain key criteria are not in line with expectations.

It likely will be approved. Still there's probably a 1% chance it wont and like you said the SAG is still on strike. So for Hollywood this is a case of one problem down and one to go.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Was it cheaper for the studios to yield to the WGA than the actors demands ? Surprising they didn’t resolve both at the same time with a good deal 

I suspect the SAG strike will end in the next week or so. Many of the demands of the WGA are similar to the ones the SAG wanted. Also writers are still picketing with the SAG.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It's a power and status thing. Can't be giving the prols what they want just like that...

Pretty much this. In labor disputes ownership groups typically will lose more money than what's being asked for to prove a point.

I think to say no streaming residuals is a simplification. There are plenty of improvements and gains regarding streaming residuals, at least my understanding from reading the WGA agreement summary. I think the new viewership-based residual is the one that didn't get accepted, but there is a "bonus" established based off the residual amounts so kind of a semantics game?

The accepted new viewership-based streaming bonus:

"HBSVOD series and movies that are viewed by 20% or more of the service’s domestic subscribers in the first 90 days of release, or the first 90 days of any subsequent exhibition year, get a bonus equal to 50% of the fixed domestic and foreign residual. For example, for a project written under the 2023 MBA, the bonus would be equal to: • $9,031 for a half-hour episode • $16,415 for a one-hour episode • $40,500 for a streaming feature over $30 million in budget"

(Though personally I think that the "viewed by 20% or more of the service’s domestic subscribers in the first 90 days of release" threshold is way too high, there can't be very many shows that would ever reach that, though I guess we don't know for sure since that data isn't public.)

5 hours ago, Starkess said:

(Though personally I think that the "viewed by 20% or more of the service’s domestic subscribers in the first 90 days of release" threshold is way too high, there can't be very many shows that would ever reach that, though I guess we don't know for sure since that data isn't public.)

It's a sham. This is basically like signing a basketball player to a $2M deal, but if they win MVP, Finals MVP and lead the league in scoring they get $20M. 

The hard truth is the WGA never had a chance for major concessions unless they were willing to strike for years which they simply couldn't do. Big money almost always wins these fights. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a sham. This is basically like signing a basketball player to a $2M deal, but if they win MVP, Finals MVP and lead the league in scoring they get $20M. 

The hard truth is the WGA never had a chance for major concessions unless they were willing to strike for years which they simply couldn't do. Big money almost always wins these fights. 

Yeah this one stung. Like, this is a BIG one, 'cause writers made it quite clear "we are not getting residuals/royalties like we would on regular TV. What the shit yo."

On 9/28/2023 at 5:00 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I think they did get major concessions in all the other areas though. Definitely a success IMO.

59 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I think they did get major concessions in all the other areas though. Definitely a success IMO.

They got some concessions, but not significant ones, most of which can be avoided by studios with slick accounting if I'm reading the details correctly. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They got some concessions, but not significant ones, most of which can be avoided by studios with slick accounting if I'm reading the details correctly. 

I feel like what the WGA has done is point to what they won versus the opening of negotiations, and trying to ignore the fact that what the AMPTP offered on August 22nd is for the most part what became the final deal. So why the extra month of strike? I'm not sure they gained very much from that.

38 minutes ago, Ran said:

I feel like what the WGA has done is point to what they won versus the opening of negotiations, and trying to ignore the fact that what the AMPTP offered on August 22nd is for the most part what became the final deal. So why the extra month of strike? I'm not sure they gained very much from that.

I'm not sure. I just spoke with my brother who is in the WGA and he actually thinks the deal is pretty good. We couldn't speak that long, but he's going to call me back. Curious to hear what he has to say. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

• 2 weeks later...