Hollywood STRIKES UPDATE: SAG AFTRA reaches agreement with AMPTP!

Mladen

37 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Missing the grand old days of serfdom? Remember when the plantation owners…out of the pure goodness of their Christian hearts…would give the serfs a portion of the crop to eat/survive? And sometimes these ingrates would complain about the amount, or the flavour of blood, or whatever! Some thing never change, huh? 

Because almost no one in the system, except for the police, politicians, military, courts, bureaucrats, and press, ever take the side of Big Business. They probably feel a little safer, shudder a little less at every sound at night, knowing that people of vision like yourself have also got their back. Keep fighting the good fight!

I had a comparatively tame response deleted for suggesting Rodg might be a comedian. Guess it was disrespectful to speculate he might be trolling for the lulz, but hell, up until recently when he mentioned he was in corporate, I'd thought he was a teenager.

---

If residuals are in the SAG/AFTRA contract they should be paid without question. They're as much a time honored tradition as Studios trying to fuck entertainers out of them. Those without clout and/or high visibility anyway.

Those who can't flex get flexed on.

Edited by JGP

Some guy I listen to online was running the numbers and apparently Apple alone could end both strikes, with this only effecting .6% of their yearly income. Now imagine that being divided between Disney, WB, Paramount, Amazon and pretty much every other major company that produces shows. It would probably be a decrees in at most .1% for each company. 

This whole thing is about power and sending a message.

Edited by sifth

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Some guy I listen to online was running the numbers and apparently Apple alone could end both strikes, with this only effecting .6% of their yearly income. Now imagine that being divided between Disney, WB, Paramount, Amazon and pretty much every other major company that produces shows. It would probably be a decrees in at most .1% for each company. 

Exactly. Most large companies could afford to pay their lower and middle wage works significantly more. Entities that don't have unions wouldn't be hurt in most cases by allowing them to form. They just simply don't want to because that means the decision makers at the top make slightly less, even if it's basically getting paid $99.50 instead of $100. It's not the only reason why, but that attitude is why so much of the world is going to shit, and if you can laugh at it all, the funny part is the greedy fucks don't actually contribute much at all. Just about anyone could do their jobs and they'd probably be a lot nicer in the process. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I’m gonna play devils advocate here and say Bob Iger probably had the most to do with Disneys immense success over the last 20 years than any other individual. His book, Ride of a Lifetime, is pretty impressive and you can see how detailed his thought process for the companys been.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Exactly. Most large companies could afford to pay their lower and middle wage works significantly more. Entities that don't have unions wouldn't be hurt in most cases by allowing them to form. They just simply don't want to because that means the decision makers at the top make slightly less, even if it's basically getting paid $99.50 instead of $100. It's not the only reason why, but that attitude is why so much of the world is going to shit, and if you can laugh at it all, the funny part is the greedy fucks don't actually contribute much at all. Just about anyone could do their jobs and they'd probably be a lot nicer in the process. 

12 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I’m gonna play devils advocate here and say Bob Iger probably had the most to do with Disneys immense success over the last 20 years than any other individual. His book, Ride of a Lifetime, is pretty impressive and you can see how detailed his thought process for the companys been.

Never read it, but I'd argue in that time period under the Disney umbrella John Skipper did more for ESPN than Iger did for the overall company when it came to be forward thinking. Pretty much every sports media deal in the US is modeled after ideas he created and he did so while treating his partners and employees well. Iger tends to come across as a guy who is interchangeable, but was at the right place at the right time so he gets a lot of credit. I don't find him to be a particularly innovative figure. He certainly made Disney the monster it is today, but he also got to start with an already rich foundation.

This is a bit of a weird transition, but I think Vince McMahon is an interesting figure to study and compare. Obviously it must be said on the front end that he's not a good person (Iger also has his own accusations), but one in a million people could not do what he did for wrestling. He consolidated the business, grew it in ways no one could have imagined and did so while producing a really good product (I haven't watched wrestling much since I was a kid, but I know the company is now worth way more than anyone 20 years ago could have dreamed of). VM is not a replaceable person when it comes to building and creating his industry. Iger strikes me as someone who a lot of people could have done a relatively similar job. I don't find him to be that special, and unlike Skipper, he treats the people around him poorly by all reports. 

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

He's only been the CEO of Disney since 2005, so your math is off, since that's only 18 years. Plus he wasn't CEO for the brief era of Bob Chapek, so that's a year and a half as well.

I also don't agree, since Iger's strategy seems to be about buying the competition and milking them dry. It's under him that creativity has gone down and live action remakes and pointless sequels have gone up. It's because of him spending 4 billion dollars on the Star Wars IP, that the sequel trilogy was rushed out the door, instead of carefully planned over several years.

Edited by sifth

It was an approximation, also Iger’s been with the company since the 70s(pre-Disney ABC)and was Eisner’s no 2 for several years before his own appointment ….. I suggest you read his book , he did alot of strategic restructuring in the company, saved the Pixar deal, embraced technology etc and yeah buy the right IPs. He’s also responsible for backing Kevin Feige when Avi Arad wanted to fire him, and ushering in the ‘marvel renaissance’.As for Star Wars,blame Lucasfilm , Iger has a fairly hands off approach with regards to the creative elements.Let’s not downplay his contributions just cause he’s being a douchebag right now. I think Zaslav’s a better example of an ‘armchair CEO’ who’s easily replaceable. There’s a strong reason after all for Disney bringing back Iger and extending his contract again and again.Anyways back to the topic at hand…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Never read it, but I'd argue in that time period under the Disney umbrella John Skipper did more for ESPN than Iger did for the overall company when it came to be forward thinking. Pretty much every sports media deal in the US is modeled after ideas he created and he did so while treating his partners and employees well. Iger tends to come across as a guy who is interchangeable, but was at the right place at the right time so he gets a lot of credit. I don't find him to be a particularly innovative figure. He certainly made Disney the monster it is today, but he also got to start with an already rich foundation.

This is a bit of a weird transition, but I think Vince McMahon is an interesting figure to study and compare. Obviously it must be said on the front end that he's not a good person (Iger also has his own accusations), but one in a million people could not do what he did for wrestling. He consolidated the business, grew it in ways no one could have imagined and did so while producing a really good product (I haven't watched wrestling much since I was a kid, but I know the company is now worth way more than anyone 20 years ago could have dreamed of). VM is not a replaceable person when it comes to building and creating his industry. Iger strikes me as someone who a lot of people could have done a relatively similar job. I don't find him to be that special, and unlike Skipper, he treats the people around him poorly by all reports. 

Interesting… Does he have an authorised biography ? 

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Interesting… Does he have an authorised biography ? 

Not sure which figure you're asking about. Skipper, no, McMahon, probably several. Or if nothing else some documentaries. 

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yep was curious about McMahon, thanks.

Here's an Amazon description of a recent book:

NSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

“Riveting, essential reading.” —Rick Perlstein, author of Reaganland

The definitive biography of Vince McMahon, former WWE chairman and CEO, charts his rise from rural poverty to the throne of one of the world’s most influential media empires—and features never-before-seen research and exclusive interviews with more than 150 people who witnessed, aided, and suffered from his ascent.

Even if you’ve never watched a minute of professional wrestling, you are living in Vince McMahon’s world.

In his four decades as the defining figure of American pro wrestling, McMahon was the man behind Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, John Cena, Dave Bautista, Bret “The Hitman” Hart, and Hulk Hogan, to name just a few of the mega-stars who owe him their careers. For more than twenty-five years, he has also been a performer in his own show, acting as the diabolical “Mr. McMahon”—a figure who may have more in common with the real Vince than he would care to admit.

Just as importantly, McMahon is one of Donald Trump’s closest friends—and Trump’s experiences as a performer in McMahon’s programming were, in many ways, a dress rehearsal for the 45th President’s campaigns and presidency. McMahon and his wife, Linda, are major Republican donors. Linda was in Trump’s cabinet. McMahon makes deals with the Saudi government worth hundreds of millions of dollars. And for generations of people who have watched wrestling, he has been a defining cultural force.

Accessible to anyone, regardless of wrestling knowledge, 
Ringmaster is an unauthorized, independent, investigative chronicle of Vince McMahon’s origins and rise to supreme power. It is built on exclusive interviews with more than 150 people, from McMahon’s childhood friends to those who accuse him of destroying their lives. Far more than just an athletics or entertainment biography, Ringmaster uses Vince’s story as a new lens for understanding the contemporary American apocalypse.

https://www.amazon.com/Ringmaster-Vince-McMahon-Unmaking-America/dp/1982169443

You can find some documentaries about him for free on YouTube. 

Or you can just enjoy these clips of him getting the Stone Cold Stunner:

Edited by Tywin et al.

9 hours ago, sifth said:

Sounds like people should be canceling their streaming subs, and stating the reason for it. 

22 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So Bob Iger's book paints Bob Iger as an indispensable titan of commerce.

YOU DON'T SAY.

I get what you mean , but even looking at it objectively without the context of the book, you can compare the price of Disney stock in 2005 when he took over versus 2020 and see the impact he made…in financial terms as well as turning Disney into the pop cultural behemoth it is today. Steve Jobs also heavily respected him. 

FYI he’s quite open about his failings as well, he admitted George Lucas was very disappointed in the ST and felt betrayed and the fact that he ended up screwing Twin Peaks by creative mismanagement in its second season…Along with few other examples as well. 

I admit he’s been an ass about the way he’s handled the strikes though, but a good deed (or as in this case, good business decisions) doesn't wash away the bad, nor the bad the good. He’s a talented asshole lol 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Sounds like people should be canceling their streaming subs, and stating the reason for it. 

I'm considering cutting a lot of them. Netflix is mostly producing crap. Disney+ as well, but at least they have the vault of old classics. Hulu is actually not too bad, but it stinks that you should bundle it with Disney and ESPN+ even though the latter is mostly useless. So many more have popped up in the last five years. Peacock is free for me and it offers the two things I want, news and sports. Really the only two worth keeping year round are Prime and HBO, and I worry the latter is going to get worse now that Discovery owns it because their content and business model sucks. 

55 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So Bob Iger's book paints Bob Iger as an indispensable titan of commerce.

YOU DON'T SAY.

So I take it you're not going to buy Tilman Fertitta's book Shut Up and Listen!? I mean he's done such a great job with the Rockets after all...

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

FYI he’s quite open about his failings as well, he admitted George Lucas was very disappointed in the ST and felt betrayed and the fact that he ended up screwing Twin Peaks by creative mismanagement in its second season…Along with few other examples as well. 

I will never forgive him for Twin Peaks.