Football: So it begins

Raja

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Put it this way I don't think there's a lot of difference in quality between McTominay, and the likes of Palhinha at Fulham or Norgaard at Brentford. 

You've got Tyler Adams going for like...20m! I know they're not *exactly* the same, but still.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

You've got Tyler Adams going for like...20m! I know they're not *exactly* the same, but still.

I'll admit I watched little of both Fulham and Leeds last season, but in my mind Adams and Palinha are doing much the same job? 

McTominay is, as polish says, more box-to-box and not suited to cleaning duty singularly, whilst Nørgaard has a bit of a Pirlo-as-deep-lying-playmaker vibe too. Not as Pirlo as Pirlo, but compared to the others mentioned he's very Pirlo.

10 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I'll admit I watched little of both Fulham and Leeds last season, but in my mind Adams and Palinha are doing much the same job? 

McTominay is, as polish says, more box-to-box and not suited to cleaning duty singularly, whilst Nørgaard has a bit of a Pirlo-as-deep-lying-playmaker vibe too. Not as Pirlo as Pirlo, but compared to the others mentioned he's very Pirlo.

I think Adams can easily do the 'box to box' stuff McTominay does. The latter has probably suffered for not playing as much as the rest of the people in this conversation

Spending 60m on Maguire & Mctominay just seems...not very imaginative, especially when you see that Brighton are bringing in Kudus for what, 30?

But I guess if they wanna back Moyes then fair enough

Edited by Raja

United have rejected both bids. I'd be happy for McTominay to stay at the club. He's a good squad player and if we can offload Fred and Van de Beek and get Amrabat in as another DM then he wouldn't have to play out of position either.

I'm surprised that we've rejected the bid for Maguire though. Apparently, according to Romano, there are other PL clubs interested in Maguire so maybe United thinks they can drive up the price a bit - hopefully we don't overplay our hand. It would be better for Maguire if he left. He's getting more stick from United fans than opposition fans. The whole situation has become very toxic.

Yeah I prefer Fred to McTom at his best but McTominay's more reliable. 

And yeah, all of them are better than Van de Beek. I was all for giving him time and chances but not only is he wank, he's wank in a very arrogant way. I don't mean his personality, I'm sure he's a perfectly decent geezer, just his playstyle is narcissistic as shit. 

Liverpool’s pursuit of Lavia has been painful to watch.  Southampton want 50m for him so they can receive 40m net of the 20% sell-on clause to City.  Otherwise they’ll receive 40m next summer anyway under City’s buy-back clause because, unless he gets seriously injured, he’ll be worth at least that much then if he’s already worth 40m+ to Liverpool now.  Southampton feel pretty sure City will exercise the buy-back even if they would only re-sell him then rather than keep him.

Liverpool may not think he’s worth 50m to them but that’s the economics of the sell-on clause and buy-back clause: they give City an economic advantage over anyone else trying to buy Lavia.

I think it’s hard for Liverpool to walk away because he represents a homegrown player when we have very few.

Why would Lavia go back to City though? He left to get games because he has Rodri in his way at City, and that won't have changed by next year.

Obviously Southampton are free to set whatever price they want, of course, and there has been some talk that they're looking for more than £50m.

We've got two good midfielders and a bunch of Championship-level youngsters, so we really need to just pay them what they want.

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Why would Lavia go back to City though? He left to get games because he has Rodri in his way at City, and that won't have changed by next year.

Pep doesn’t seem to fancy Kalvin Phillips and Kovacic looks like a fairly short term option. I’d say the situation next year might look a lot better than it did last year in terms of getting game time with a view to replacing Rodri long term. If I was him I’d probably still prefer the option of coming to Liverpool with no established defensive midfielder in his way (and it seems like he does) but he’d probably be in a better place going back City once they’ve paid £40 million to secure his services.

Also reports that Nkunku's knee injury which he picked up in the game in Chicago (apparently due to the pitch being in a poor state) is worse than initially thought. He had to undergo surgery and is expected to be out for 3–4 months.

ETA.

Edited by Consigliere

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

MLS is too easy for Messi.

A mildly interesting but unsurprising stat: Messi has scored more than 20 goals in a calendar year for 17 consecutive years.

I was thinking that after the latest match. He might get bored by the end of the season. Maybe he'll score more goals than Haaland in the PL. ;)