Football: So it begins

Raja

The Caicedo bid is hard to believe.  Let’s see if it really sticks.  It would be great for our MF, of course.  It’s shocking we have that much to spend, but the 52m from Fabinho + Henderson expands our budget, and simultaneously increases the asking price from every selling club who knows we’re desperate for a DM and have some funds.

I think it’s clear though that Bellingham had a strong preference for RM, so Liverpool backed out of the running months ago.  I don’t think it’s fair to say we should have just got Bellingham if we were willing to spend this much on Caicedo anyway.

Next step is for Liverpool to get the wage bill to a more sustainable level.  Firmino, Fabinho, Hendo, Milner, Ox, Keita and Arthur Melo all coming off the wage bill helps us this year, and Thiago, Matip and Adrian for just one more year, and Salah for two more.  We cannot repeat the pattern of recent years of letting a generation of players all age together into bigger contracts and less resale value.  There has to be some balance of younger and older players, including selling some players in their prime to keep refreshing the team.

I know a lot of the keyboard warriors in Liverpool’s fandom love to complain about FSG, and it is frustrating when an otherwise highly competitive team leaves some obvious gaps (GK a few years back, MF last year, defense this year), but they have invested in the infrastructure (stadium and training ground), they’ve supported a very high wage bill for a very successful squad, they’ve brought in some very expensive key players despite playing moneyball (VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Nunez, Szoboszlai and possibly Caicedo).  If it wasn’t for City spending a billion to immediately fix any squad problem, Liverpool would have 2-3 more PLs under Klopp.  Unfortunately RM still had the measure of us in one-off cup games in the CL.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Also, this 100% proves Bellingham didn't want to come to us .:rolleyes:

While it's almost certainly true, in fairness, it doesn't really: you didn't sign Bellingham because you had an alternative lined up for like 70mil less. You haven't gone for Caicedo till the cheaper alternative you tried for didn't pan out. 

I suppose in that sense you can blame the penny-pinching owners, but they may have done you a solid in this particular instance: if you had spent all the money on Bellingham then you probably wouldn't have the funds to whip out for an emergency Caicedo now. And you have to make the CL this year. You're not going to, but you have to. 

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Never mind Harry Kane, just take a minute to savor Dixie Dean's hallucinatory GPG ratio.  The guy was a machine.

Tbf to Shearer his gpg at blackburn before his injury was insane (81%). He was never the same player at Newcastle. 

Fuck, I missed the game, but serves that player right for talking shit. Choke job city multiple times.

Watching the highlights, Spain looked like the better team and in general they're just fun to watch. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66470820

Done deal. Fucking man utd got a bargain with Mount considering this and the Rice fee. 

Brighton as a business model and a club are an absolute breath of fresh air currently. I hope they finish well again. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Kane made the right decision. Spurs get a load of money, the fans will be relieved that he's not going to another PL club and Kane joins one of the biggest clubs in the world where he's guaranteed to win trophies and compete for the CL. 

Winning trophies > a silly scoring record that isn't even the real record. Football didn't start in 1992. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

This would be so much more fun had the Glazers sold the club to the Qataris. Ok, the Glazers itself would be like Fans demand :lmao:, but with the Qataris this female fans demand would be so much more ironic.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I know a lot of the keyboard warriors in Liverpool’s fandom love to complain about FSG, and it is frustrating when an otherwise highly competitive team leaves some obvious gaps (GK a few years back, MF last year, defense this year), but they have invested in the infrastructure (stadium and training ground), they’ve supported a very high wage bill for a very successful squad, they’ve brought in some very expensive key players despite playing moneyball (VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Nunez, Szoboszlai and possibly Caicedo).  If it wasn’t for City spending a billion to immediately fix any squad problem, Liverpool would have 2-3 more PLs under Klopp.  Unfortunately RM still had the measure of us in one-off cup games in the CL.

I'm with you. I've been mostly happy with how they have done business. It's easy to forget the stadium spending and training ground improvements. Let's not forget the covid losses. Klopp has been very clear that we spend what we earn. I am not sure why it is okay to expect owners to pony up extra cash. The team should spend what they earn and I feel like Liverpool do that. Feels like you run things like FSG, you get complaints about not spending enough. Then you get sugar daddy owners, and people hate that too. There is no escaping criticism. But totally understandable with last years disappointment.

I still don't get the complaints about the midfield gap from last year. Ox, Naby, Hendo, Milner, Fabinho, Thiago, backup of Jones/Elliot, then all the younger kids. How many midfielders do you need? I understand the issue of injury prone players, and last year the worst did come to pass and everyone was injured at the same time, but I don't think they could afford to have more midfielders when the forward line clearly needed more attention and they sorted that out. I expect this season will be midfield rebuild, and next season probably focused on improving the last line.

I am a bit surprised at the large Caicedo bid to be honest. Not sure if he is that good. And I am worried how that will impact the next couple of transfer window as this bid will probably dry up the funds. Letting Fab and Hendo go without a more reasonably priced option is worrying. Personally would've preferred if they kept at least one of those two and not be so damn desperate. But from quality perspective, all three signings were very good. And maybe the Fab and Hendo transfer fee will offset the bid. Hopefully it won't take too long for the midfield to gel, a bit worried about such a massive change. But it can't be worse than last year....hopefully!