Your Unpopular ASOIAF Opinions/Hot Takes

Maegor_the_Cool

3 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

If Aerys put that many caches, Jaime knows what that means. And he should've done more about it than simply kill the king.

Also as for oaths Jaime was most likely too scared to break another part of the oath after the king-killing.

He knew there were enough to destroy the entire city. The text makes that clear. The fact that he just let them stay in place, for nearly two decades, just hoping they never went off, is the silly part.

4 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

If Aerys put that many caches, Jaime knows what that means. And he should've done more about it than simply kill the king.

Also as for oaths Jaime was most likely too scared to break another part of the oath after the king-killing.

He impregnated his sister as the queen 3 times. He swore a vow of celibacy as a Kingsguard member, but he was still having plenty of sex.

Edited by Lee-Sensei

8 hours ago, sifth said:

He knew there were enough to destroy the entire city. The text makes that clear. The fact that he just let them stay in place, for nearly two decades, just hoping they never went off, is the silly part.

Exactly.

8 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

He impregnated his sister as the queen 3 times. He swore a vow of celibacy as a Kingsguard member, but he was still having plenty of sex.

Well he did it knowing he believed it'd be secret. Telling people about the caches would be openly breaking the oath.

1 hour ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

Exactly.

Well he did it knowing he believed it'd be secret. Telling people about the caches would be openly breaking the oath.

I wonder what the High Septon, would say to breaking an oath that, would save millions of lives? Funny how that's the oath he chooses to follow and not the dozens of others he breaks.

Just now, sifth said:

I wonder what the High Septon, would say to breaking an oath that, would save millions of lives? Funny how that's the oath he chooses to follow and not the dozens of others he breaks.

Yeah that’s what I don’t get about Jaime at all. Didn’t help that this was all set up ad hoc style since GRRM intended Jaime to remain a bad guy.

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

An unpopular opinion, that's a fact, is that  Krakens are actually common creatures in Asoiaf, Valena Toland told Arianne that the population saw them near Ghost Hill

I agree, just look up "kraken" on the wiki page, and there's quite a lot of mentions of them in the story. Too many for them all to be fake, IMO

10 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

Exactly.

I don't think lying and trying to cover up hiis oathbreaking is at all an adequate defense. I like Jaimie as a character, but he really didn't seem to care about oathbreaking between Aerys and Brenne.

45 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

I don't think lying and trying to cover up hiis oathbreaking is at all an adequate defense. I like Jaimie as a character, but he really didn't seem to care about oathbreaking between Aerys and Brenne.

Yeah, I'm still stumped about all of this. Hopefully GRRM clears that up in Winds.

With regard to Jaime and the wildfire:

1. He likely doesn't know where the caches are, and is unable or unwilling to ask anyone who might know.

2. He probably figured the wildfire was safe so long as it remained undisturbed.  It's been there for 15 years or so so may be right.  He's probably also worried about the threat posed by rough handling by untrained hands, or it being stored in one concentrated location.

3.  He is probably worried that someone might be tempted to use it when they really shouldn't.

I don't know if his decision is the right one, but I can't say for sure it's wrong either.

3 hours ago, Kienn said:

The Wall doesn’t block magic (especially not skinchanging).

Ned is definitely KotLT.

My older one could maybe use a refresh… but it’s basically the same now as then.

I strongly suspect Lyanna is the KoLT, and while I am willing to entertain other suspects, Ned isn't one of them.  He has no reason to be a mystery knight, or to wear cast off scrap even if he is.  He can borrow something decent.  He also doesn't fit the description.  Ned has never been described as being small in stature.  That would apply either to a small adult, or to a child or younger adolescent.  Lyanna, Howland, and Benjen meet the description.  Ned doesn't.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

With regard to Jaime and the wildfire:

1. He likely doesn't know where the caches are, and is unable or unwilling to ask anyone who might know.

2. He probably figured the wildfire was safe so long as it remained undisturbed.  It's been there for 15 years or so so may be right.  He's probably also worried about the threat posed by rough handling by untrained hands, or it being stored in one concentrated location.

3.  He is probably worried that someone might be tempted to use it when they really shouldn't.

I don't know if his decision is the right one, but I can't say for sure it's wrong either.

He could at least get Robert to commit a quiet removal of the caches even if it takes a long time.

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

I strongly suspect Lyanna is the KoLT, and while I am willing to entertain other suspects, Ned isn't one of them.  He has no reason to be a mystery knight, or to wear cast off scrap even if he is.  He can borrow something decent.  He also doesn't fit the description.  Ned has never been described as being small in stature.  That would apply either to a small adult, or to a child or younger adolescent.  Lyanna, Howland, and Benjen meet the description.  Ned doesn't.

I honestly think the mystery of the KoLT is hidden in plane sight. I think it's Lyanna as well and that she got her armor from Benjen, like how he offered to give Howland a pair. I think later on, that Benjen realized his actions helped start Robert's Rebellion, and out of guilt, joined the Night's Watch.

3 hours ago, Nevets said:

I don't think Jaime knows that wildfire is a danger, he probably assumes that its potency is drastically reduced long-term.

It's a trade secret of the pyromancers that it becomes more dangerous over time:

“Why doesn’t it seep into the clay as well?”
“Oh, but it does,” said Hallyne. […] “As it ages, the substance grows ever more, hmmmm, fickle, let us say. Any flame will set it afire. Any spark. Too much heat and jars will blaze up of their own accord. It is not wise to let them sit in sunlight, even for a short time. Once the fire begins within, the heat causes the substance to expand violently, and the jars shortly fly to pieces. If other jars should happen to be stored in the same vicinity, those go up as well, and so—” 

On 8/29/2023 at 4:12 AM, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

He did not simply kill the king, it is mentioned he did after track down and murdered some other pyromancers besides the one whatshisname that was the Hand. As the guild years later claim to Tyrion that they “recently” found the caches, maybe the ones Jaime killed were the only ones that knew the exact locations and did not tell even at swordpoint. Or maybe they told of one or two other caches that Jaime did take care of but just did not think about yet in his POVs.

2 hours ago, csuszka1948 said:

I don't think Jaime knows that wildfire is a danger, he probably assumes that its potency is drastically reduced long-term.

It's a trade secret of the pyromancers that it becomes more dangerous over time:

“Why doesn’t it seep into the clay as well?”
“Oh, but it does,” said Hallyne. […] “As it ages, the substance grows ever more, hmmmm, fickle, let us say. Any flame will set it afire. Any spark. Too much heat and jars will blaze up of their own accord. It is not wise to let them sit in sunlight, even for a short time. Once the fire begins within, the heat causes the substance to expand violently, and the jars shortly fly to pieces. If other jars should happen to be stored in the same vicinity, those go up as well, and so—” 

He knew it was dangerous to burn down the whole city and he saw Aerys burn people with it all the time, he was quite fond of it.

12 hours ago, Nevets said:

Ned has never been described as being small in stature.  That would apply either to a small adult, or to a child or younger adolescent.

Ned was still growing during the Tourney at Harrenhal. We know this since Catelyn mentions Ned was shorter at their wedding compared to present day. Their wedding was 1 year after the tourney.

If you actually read the theory your other complaints are addressed.

Ned is really the only candidate at present. Lyanna is possible but would be quite a rugpull as she has no real connection to weirwoods or booming voices. If KotLT is connected to blue roses or Lyanna to laughing weirwoods in TWoW Lyanna will become a good candidate.