Football - Trouncing Matilda's.

BigFatCoward

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

you know, make use of the technology that you've rolled out in the league

Well I'd prefer that we binned off VAR and people just accepted that sometimes officials will make mistakes but, yeah, if we're going to have VAR that does seem like something reasonable to check

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

as for the penalty - whatever really if you think that's a penalty :dunno: - i'll agree to disagree on that

I actually don't think it was a penalty. I do think it was very close to being a penalty and once there's contact VAR isn't going to overturn it if it was given. It was pretty much the same level as the Szoboszlai one that Liverpool got for me.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I actually don't think it was a penalty.

Good. Neither did the refs. Shock horror they made the right call.

That has no impact on sending Tomiyasu off, or should we not call it out cause they did their jobs correctly in a previous unrelated incident?

Give me a break

Edited by Raja

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I also don't think it's true, but I could see it working. He's basically Antonio but actually a striker; no particular reason he couldn't work under Moyes with a bit of confidence-building. Admittedly that last part is a gamble, Moyes isn't the best in that respect if confidence is already down, but that tends to manifest itself more with whole-team morale when results slump. 

They're also supposedly back in for El-Nesyri- that would make even more sense because he's exactly the Antonio replacement they'd want but I can't really see why he would (I mean, they could offer him enough money, but he's already turned them down once afaik). 

Interesting three years for Rom.

Hero at Inter then he became high profile/marque signing for the reigning CL champions. Totally tanked there. After a year he was moved back on loan to his favorite spot at Inter. There he turned from Hero to Zero. And now he might end up at...

...West Ham. :lmao:

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Good. Neither did the refs. Shock horror they made the right call.

That has no impact on sending Tomiyasu off, or should we not call it out cause they did their jobs correctly in a previous unrelated incident?

Give me a break

The point I was making is I think that was a good piece of refereeing. Jesus Christ, does everything have to be whingeing about refs?

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair like, if the options are West Ham, Juve or staying at Chelsea, only one of those teams is in Europe this season. 

Arguably, but still amazing. You look at the crazy market esp. for forwards (and DMs), and best club Lukaku can find is bloody West Ham. Considering where he was three years ago, this is really mindboggling.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The point I was making is I think that was a good piece of refereeing. Jesus Christ, does everything have to be whingeing about refs?

You initially brought it up saying 'on the plus side', as if we're supposed to take comfort in the fact that they got that decision correct

As for talking about refs - at best, they made a controversial decision, people are going to talk about it - especially when you consider the stinkers PGMOL have had in just 2 weeks of the season :dunno:

Edited by Raja

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

You initially brought it up saying 'on the plus side', as if we're supposed to take comfort in the fact that they got that decision correct

I wouldn't be here talking about refs if you hadn't brought up an absurd point in your post :dunno:

:lol: Fuck off, you were already complaining about referees before I posted.

Maybe you’re right and I wasn’t clear by saying it was a ‘plus side’ for Arsenal that I thought Coote had made a good decision in a tough situation. Whatever though, not every wrong refereeing call needs to be a big thing. It’s cost Arsenal basically nothing in the end, who cares what you’re taking ‘comfort’ in?

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

:lol: Fuck off, you were already complaining about referees before I posted.

I meant I wouldn't *still* be talking about it if not for your post

As for talking about refs - almost everyone who posted about the game on the board commented on it because it was *at best* a controversial decision which then directly affected the rest of the game :dunno:

Sure, in the heat of the game I understand Arsenal fans being irritated. I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to look at it and say overall I don’t think Coote’s actually had a terrible game. Mistakes are going to happen sometimes, there needs to be some balance in how we’re judging them. There are some mistakes top level referees shouldn’t be making and there are some that are understandable even if ideally you’d prefer perfect performances.

ETA: To use a non Arsenal example I think everyone agrees that the Mac Allister red shouldn’t have been a red but, okay, the ref’s misjudged how much force there was. I can see that in the heat of the moment. If the FA don’t overturn it with the benefit of time to watch all the replays and review it I’ll be pretty pissed off though. Same with Tomiyasu if Arsenal appeal.

Edited by ljkeane

Tomiyasu's first yellow was absolutely correct. Havertz holding onto the ball for ages before dropping it behind him and walking off, leaving the throw to Tommy, is precisely the type of timewasting behaviour the players were warned about.

But the second? JFC. How can that referee justify the second yellow when Tommy has barely touched Ayew, while Ayew had already somehow escaped a second yellow for climbing all over one of our players and hauling him to the ground.

This is the inconsistency that infuriates managers, players, and fans. 

And now the captain isn't even allowed to question these fuckups without getting booked? GTFOH. The PGMOL are a bunch of incompetent crooks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day they're involved in a big old scandal, much like the la liga bullshit. 

Edited by Spockydog

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. No appeal is allowed. 

And there is no VAR intervention allowed for second yellows. This seems bizarre, and I hope they look at this. 

No appeals for Yellows (including second yellows), exception Penalty/no penalty which get checked automatically.

That way you can get a yellow for diving overturned, or a yellow for a foul (including second yellows).

If you check second yellows, you'll have to check all the yellows, which would make VAR even worse.