US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

38 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, about that.

It enrages me on how democrats and liberals shied away from talking about Abortion for so long before roe got overturned. It does seem like they subconsciously bought into the “were the moral majority” crap republicans have been on for decades. 

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It enrages me on how democrats and liberals shied away from talking about Abortion for so long before roe got overturned. It does seem like they subconsciously bought into the “were the moral majority” crap republicans have been on for decades. 

More and more, with what happened in Kansas and now Ohio, it's obvious that the discourse about reproductive rights and the reality are two different things. I suspect that there are quite a few Americans, particularly women, who might openly express anti abortion views, but privately support access to abortion services. Call it, "I'd rather have a gun and not need it..." crowd.

Or maybe they're just like the brexit voters who voted to leave while thinking the referendum would fail. Remember when trump supporters were saying, "Oh, he'd never get rid of abortion"?

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll see. Eventually his legal troubles are probably going to catch up to him. 

But Trump has already said he'd run from prison if necessary, and he legally could. His voters wouldn't desert him if he did, not in the numbers required to make any of the other Republican candidates a viable option. So I'm not sure his legal troubles make last night's debate any less of a sideshow. 

Trans Jan 6 rioter is begging Marjorie Taylor Greene to get her into a women’s prison”

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/08/trans-jan-6-rioter-is-begging-marjorie-taylor-greene-to-get-her-into-a-womens-prison/

It’s sad people think they can win over people who hate their existence by virtue of being as big a scumbag.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

^I just… love… Racism and anti-semitism… disguised as “class consciousness”^… 

I take it the Republican Party is openly embracing racism and anti-semitism now?

https://x.com/egavactip/status/1692221276268474683?s=46

Remember the days when the GOP used a dog whistle? Since Trump, they've exchanged that for a train whistle.

14 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I really don't think this is a great way to run things regardless; you do not want the burden of proof to be on the campaign against the aggrieved state legislature/official. Imagine this happening from the perspective of a Dem running in, say, Georgia or Arizona - how easy would it be to simply kick them off the ballot based on this? Or anyone else you care about? 

This would be an insanely short-sided idea for preventing Trump's ascendance. 

The idea would be that the federal judiciary would fairly adjudicate in the future and no Democratic candidates is likely to even arguably come within the definition of committing an insurrection.  You may reject that based on your priors, but it really is not about burden of proof per se  - more about who would be party would have to resort to court.  

4 hours ago, mormont said:

But Trump has already said he'd run from prison if necessary, and he legally could. His voters wouldn't desert him if he did, not in the numbers required to make any of the other Republican candidates a viable option. So I'm not sure his legal troubles make last night's debate any less of a sideshow. 

Not if there are still this many contenders. If it got down to one or two things could get interesting, but as of now this is going to be 2016 2.0.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not if there are still this many contenders. If it got down to one or two things could get interesting, but as of now this is going to be 2016 2.0.

Even two is probably too much. But in a one-on-one race, I could see a couple of the candidates being able to beat Trump; Tim Scott still being the strongest of them I think. But it won't be a one-on-one race until far too late. Too many of them are running for reasons other than trying to actually win, and so have no incentive to drop out.

41 minutes ago, Fez said:

Even two is probably too much. But in a one-on-one race, I could see a couple of the candidates being able to beat Trump; Tim Scott still being the strongest of them I think. But it won't be a one-on-one race until far too late. Too many of them are running for reasons other than trying to actually win, and so have no incentive to drop out.

I don't think Scott has much of a chance. Maybe I'm too biased because I've been saying this for years, but Haley is the biggest threat if she can clear out the field and make it a head to head challenge. She was the most dynamic person on the stage last night. 

That said, Idk how anyone could vote for any of these clowns. Murika is the land of stupidity though so nothing should shock us at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think Scott has much of a chance. Maybe I'm too biased because I've been saying this for years, but Haley is the biggest threat if she can clear out the field and make it a head to head challenge. She was the most dynamic person on the stage last night. 

That said, Idk how anyone could vote for any of these clowns. Murika is the land of stupidity though so nothing should shock us at this point. 

Scott is enough of an empty vessel that lots of different GOPers can project whatever they want on him; it's why he has the highest favorables of any of them (including Trump) among primary voters. But so far, he hasn't translated that into a ton of support; partially because one of the bigger natural support groups for him, evangelicals, are being split with Pence (and Trump of course).

I think Haley would be their strongest general election candidate, but I don't think she'd do great even 1-on-1 with Trump. Being both a woman and POC I think is too big a hurdle for those voters.

Edited by Fez

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

Scott is enough of an empty vessel that lots of different GOPers can project whatever they want on him; it's why he has the highest favorables of any of them (including Trump) among primary voters. But so far, he hasn't translated that into a ton of support; partially because one of the bigger natural support groups for him, evangelicals, are being split with Pence (and Trump of course).

He's been an empty suit his entire time in politics. I'm a bit surprised he's trying to go as far right as possible on abortion and a few other topics. It won't help him unless like others he just wants to be Trump's VP because he's otherwise forgettable. It's a bit telling that the other candidates didn't feel much of a need to go after him.

I think Haley would be their strongest general election candidate, but I don't think she'd do great even 1-on-1 with Trump. Being both a woman and POC I think is too big a hurdle for those voters.

I'm not sure I agree. If they debated alone she'd eat his lunch and that's assuming Trump didn't make a number of sexists remarks. The mistake she made was being a member of his administration. She should have just waited him out.

Since I'm already on blood pressure meds I decided to skip this shouting match yesterday, I presume out of this lot of deplorables there are maybe a couple I could live with if they end up being President. Also disappointed to see two people of Indian origin there, at least Ramaswamy didnt do a Jindal and try to fit in better by converting or changing his name.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Trans Jan 6 rioter is begging Marjorie Taylor Greene to get her into a women’s prison”

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/08/trans-jan-6-rioter-is-begging-marjorie-taylor-greene-to-get-her-into-a-womens-prison/

It’s sad people think they can win over people who hate their existence by virtue of being as big a scumbag.

So, so much to unpack here. 

What are the odds? The number of people indicted over Jan 6 compared to the number of people who participated has to be vanishingly small. How many "Trans Jan 6 rioters" were there?