US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sidney Powell has agreed to plead guilty to the charges against her.  I really wonder if she has turned on Trump.  The deal is very generous to Powell…

https://x.com/ap/status/1715006888889192798?s=46

I'm starting to believe (ok, actually I've believed it for quite some time) that NOBODY above the ground troops will go to jail for the coup attempt. Seems the second and third tiers will flip and get genrous deals (unless they get off otherwise, like Meadows still might) to tell on Trump, and I doubt that he'll ever go to jail.

Possibly Romney can self deport.

Mitt Romney criticizes Fox News and right-wing media for warping Republican Party

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/media/mitt-romney-right-wing-media-republican-party-reliable-sources/index.html

Regardless of his feelings about Hannity, Romney acknowledged that the problem is more deeply rooted, blaming the Rupert Murdoch-controlled Fox News as an institution for some of the ugly rhetoric injected into the public discourse. After seeing the former Fox Business host Lou Dobbs fearmonger about immigrants, Romney wrote an email to a pair of political confidants, describing Fox as a “serious problem.”

“Lou is a moron,” Romney wrote, according to Coppins. “Fox is an enabler.”

Edited by Martell Spy

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, it won't happen. Sidney Powell is more likely to become Speaker than Jefferies. 

Given the stunning display of arrogance and complete incompetence demonstrated by republicans thus far...I could almost see it happening by accident - eight or ten R's voting present instead of for whoever, thus handing the victory to Jefferies. But, yes, still absurd...for now...

21 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Given the stunning display of arrogance and complete incompetence demonstrated by republicans thus far...I could almost see it happening by accident - eight or ten R's voting present instead of for whoever, thus handing the victory to Jefferies. But, yes, still absurd...for now...

If there was some incredible fuck-up in GOP vote counting and they end up having a Speaker vote when more Democrats are present than Republicans (which is possible if Jordan's latest idea of "endless back-to-back votes all weekend" happens), I have to think it'll only be a matter of hours for Republicans to get enough members back and hold a motion to vacate to kick Jefferies out.

Although, it would be a hilarious moment. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about House rules to know if Democrats would be able to ram through any off-the-shelf bills they have during their short-lived majority. Though presumably Senate Republicans would filibuster any such bills simply on principle. 

24 minutes ago, Fez said:

If there was some incredible fuck-up in GOP vote counting and they end up having a Speaker vote when more Democrats are present than Republicans (which is possible if Jordan's latest idea of "endless back-to-back votes all weekend" happens), I have to think it'll only be a matter of hours for Republicans to get enough members back and hold a motion to vacate to kick Jefferies out.

Although, it would be a hilarious moment. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about House rules to know if Democrats would be able to ram through any off-the-shelf bills they have during their short-lived majority. Though presumably Senate Republicans would filibuster any such bills simply on principle. 

Having the speakership doesn't do a ton for dems. They still wouldn't have the votes to pass anything without Republican help. They could bring things to the floor, I guess, but that's not that valuable. 

1 hour ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Having the speakership doesn't do a ton for dems. They still wouldn't have the votes to pass anything without Republican help. They could bring things to the floor, I guess, but that's not that valuable. 

In terms of major Democrat policies, sure, but in the extremely unlikely scenario that this occurred and somehow Jeffries wasn't immediately vacated, there are a number of bipartisan bills that could go through with even a handful of R votes.  I suspect that funding for Ukraine and other bills could get through with support from those representatives for whom the targeted issues are key to their survival in purple districts or are actually true believers in the cause.  Even if not, the D's could put up the 'prevent harm from terrorists to kittens and puppies' bills all day long to force the Rs to vote against them. 

Every single interview with Walsh should begin with why he thinks 16 year olds are adults and why he thinks 12 year old girls are as developmentally mature as 24 year old women.

He’s possibly the biggest reason transphobia hasn’t taken over US politics the same way it has the UK when this creepy religious theocrat is the face of the movement.

7 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

In the event that a few Republicans have simply gone home in disgust and Democrats temporarily have a floor majority of something like 212-209, they would have the votes for those few hours until those missing Republicans return. But I don't know the House rules around qurom calls if at that point all Republicans simply left nor precisely how quickly a bill can get to the floor.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

In the event that a few Republicans have simply gone home in disgust and Democrats temporarily have a floor majority of something like 212-209, they would have the votes for those few hours until those missing Republicans return. But I don't know the House rules around qurom calls if at that point all Republicans simply left nor precisely how quickly a bill can get to the floor.

Let's play this out a bit further.  The D's, through sheer R incompetence, manage to put Jefferies into the Speaker slot for a day or so and use that window to launch key bills towards the Senate. Immediately afterwards, the R's use the still existing (?) motion to vacate to try to get rid of Jefferies.

Two possibilities here: first every R in the House vote against Jefferies (in favor of the motion to vacate.) Jefferies is removed, but the House is still left without a Speaker because no R will be able to claim the requisite votes. 

Second option is that four or five or six R's simply vote 'present,' and Jefferies retains the position.

Either way, we are looking at gridlocked cubed, though Jefferies might be able to kill some of the more annoying proceedings like the fake impeachment.

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't even know why we're entertaining this.  It's not gonna happen. 

Well so far its confirmed that Van Orden (a Jordan supporter) arrived in Israel this morning for a "fact-finding mission" instead of staying for the votes so the exodus has already begun. 

I'd bet good money that as soon as it looks like Jeffries might become speaker for about 5 minutes, they'ree all going to rally around Jordan. Or whoever is trying at the time.

Edited by Mindwalker

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I would submit that even a year ago, the current situation was 'not gunna happen.' Except that it did. And the R's keep finding new and stupid ways to make this situation even more bizarre.

For the past 20 years House Republicans have grown tired of the "establishment" Speaker at a faster and faster rate.  Prettymuch as soon as the Republicans had only 222 seats, plenty of people were speculating that the Republicans would be unable to keep any leader in place for long.  So I question the idea that "nobody" thought this was going to happen. 

25 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I would submit that even a year ago, the current situation was 'not gunna happen.' Except that it did. And the R's keep finding new and stupid ways to make this situation even more bizarre.

What situation is that? That Republicans have devolved themselves so thoroughly they can't even pretend to govern?