NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It's official, the Bucks are hiring Rivers.  Man, that guy has got nine lives. 

Bizarre and frankly totally unexplicable. I find this a much stranger move than sacking Griffin who there was a lot of rumdlings about apparently since he started.

I cannot overstate how fortunate we are to be able to watch current-day NBA games.

Not only has the league finally recovered and developed deep quality, a process that took a decade or more after the Expansion Period, but now those players have so much to offer, and the style of play makes them integral to the success of their teams.  Even rookies, and even players 8, 9 and 10 on the bench are significant contributors.

This is such a delight to watch.

Lmao at Luka going nuclear and scoring 73 points, apparently some Atlanta fans taunting and chants for him to hit the treadmill ,as if he was some doughboy, really got under his skin.

Lol, big mistake to poke that guy.

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Lmao at Luka going nuclear and scoring 73 points, apparently some Atlanta fans taunting and chants for him to hit the treadmill ,as if he was some doughboy, really got under his skin.

Lol, big mistake to poke that guy.

Well, maybe Atlanta fan is just wise and hoping the more they lose the Hawks will be more likely to blow up their team which they clearly need to do.

I read that before this last week, 2 60 pt games in same day had happened 3 times. Now it's happened twice in a week. 

Luka really does seem to have a personal vendetta with Booker. 

Is SGA the most consistent scorer in the league? Seems he scores 28-33 every fucking night. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 1/19/2024 at 9:22 AM, BigFatCoward said:

...I just analyse stat lines for fun. 

BFC, the recent matchup between VW and Chet prompted the following excellent breakdown from Ben:

And the rapid-fire game summary for your delectation as well.

These guys are both just tremendous talents.  OKC has an actual team to go with Chet, but otherwise they are a delight to watch.  They are both the realization of every basketball-mad 13-year-old's dreams.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Look at how efficient he is too, his FG % is amazing for a Guard.

He does seem to just very quietly go about his business, exactly the sort of player i appreciate (in all sports).  

The top 4 in the West are pretty inseparable now. i have no idea who comes out of there (i'd guess that Denver or LA due to having players with championship/big game experience). 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Embiid looks highly unlikely to qualify for MVP now. 

i can't find it anywhere, does anyone know what the highest PPG to not win scoring title was?  Luka's current average must be up there. edit - found it, Baylor with 38.3 behind Wilt (obviously), madness.  

Edited by BigFatCoward

Simmons had quite the return last night, nearly a triple double in 18 mins, plus a block and a steal.  hopefully he can avoid becoming a waste of talent. He's still young enough he could have a great run if he could sort his head out. 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Simmons had quite the return last night, nearly a triple double in 18 mins, plus a block and a steal.  hopefully he can avoid becoming a waste of talent. He's still young enough he could have a great run if he could sort his head out. 

Eh, maybe? Setting aside his mental and physical health issues he's basically been the same player since he entered the league. Simmons has never shown a lot of growth to his game or a commitment to improve that's translated on the court. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Eh, maybe? Setting aside his mental and physical health issues he's basically been the same player since he entered the league. Simmons has never shown a lot of growth to his game or a commitment to improve that's translated on the court. 

How does this contradict what I said. He's 27. He could be a perennial all star and all defensive team player without any improvements just getting back to what he was. 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How does this contradict what I said. He's 27. He could be a perennial all star and all defensive team player without any improvements just getting back to what he was. 

I'm not so sure about that.  The game is changing, and terrible shooters are a bigger liability than they were even just 3-4 years ago.  And I think that part of his problem is that as teams have adjusted to make him uncomfortable, he has not been able to change his game to compensate.  So, no, I do not think that if he just "goes back to the way he was" in his first couple of years that he would resume being an all star.  He could probably still be a starter, assuming that his team is a good fit with him, but even that isn't a given. 

And while 27 is still a pretty young guy, it is the age at which guys usually peak, particularly as defenders.  He doesn't have a lot of time left to prove he can still be an NBA player before teams aren't even going to be interested. 

25 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

He could probably still be a starter, assuming that his team is a good fit with him, but even that isn't a given. 

I don't know, I think just his length and athleticism would be good enough to nail down a starting spot even if he can't shoot and whatever he gives up on the offensive end he can make up for defensively. 

*Assuming he maintains his form from when he was an all star.

Anyway, putting Simmons aside, I'm curious to see what happens with the Thompson twins. Their three point shooting is just as bad if not worse, and they aren't even as long as Simmons. At least they are willing to shoot, and they might improve eventually, but being sub 20% might just be worse than not shooting at all.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Have to agree with Maith. Even if he got back to his better days the league has passed him by and it's unlikely he fixes his problems. There are so many more good players now. His best hope is maybe a top 50 player, but even that seems like a reach. Plus while 27 isn't that old, showing almost no development from 18 to 27, and for the most part a significant decline without a major injury, is troubling. I wouldn't sign him if I was a GM unless I got him in the discount bin for a couple million a year and it would likely be a one year deal. Maybe a second with a team option. 

He was all defensive 1st team and all nba 3rd team like 3 years ago, not the f'ing 80s. 

Even if his game stayed exactly the same physically he would now be in his prime. He would be more than top 50, that's just silly. Obviously with the caveat he needs to sort his head out. 

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

He was all defensive 1st team and all nba 3rd team like 3 years ago, not the f'ing 80s. 

Even if his game stayed exactly the same physically he would now be in his prime. He would be more than top 50, that's just silly. Obviously with the caveat he needs to sort his head out. 

Not really. Just look at this list that's pretty well done:

https://nbarankings.theringer.com/

I'm pretty high on Banchero and he's 44. Wemby isn't even in the top 50. Smart is at 75 and I'd rather have him. The league is stacked. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Not really. Just look at this list that's pretty well done:

https://nbarankings.theringer.com/

I'm pretty high on Banchero and he's 44. Wemby isn't even in the top 50. Smart is at 75 and I'd rather have him. The league is stacked. 

All nba 3rd team and all defensive 1st team puts you 15-25 at absolute worst.