NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

11 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Huh, thought he signed a multi year extension last year. Must have confused him with someone else.

He signed a two year extension with a third year option in August of 2022.  So, you're pretty much right he signed an extension "a year ago," it's just we're already in the last year of the two year extension.  And the player option for next year (2024-25) was entirely intentional based on Bronny's draft eligibility.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Imagine having 62 and a career night, and losing and being overshadowed by someone scoring 70. 

While your team blows a large lead. Ugh, that sucked. 

Feels like a real amateur hour move.  If he was the right guy in the offseason, how could he possibly be the wrong guy now?  I don't know why people expected the Bucks to be a powerhouse immediately, lots of great players need time to gel and work effectively together.  What matters is that they have stability and patience so Lillard and GIannis can work out the kinks and be ready for a postseason run.  So much for that. 

I mean, maybe he has just proven to be really really terrible and that's why he got canned (I doubt that, but anything is possible).  But they're apparently interested in replacing him with Doc Rivers?  AKA the guy who won with a superteam in 2008 and has led a bunch of talented teams to complete playoff failure ever since? 

As a guy who likes the Bucks more than any of the other East contenders, this is really disappointing news. 

Yeah, the reports about Doc are weird given all his failures (and like you said, the one thing you can point to is he had the first modern Big 3). You've got to allow time for a team to find themselves. Maybe Griffin wasn't the right guy, but not even allowing him a full season when the team is second in the conference is strange unless he slept with the owner or GM's wife. 

9 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

If they’re complaining about the defence complain to whomever traded Jrue for Lillard. Lillard is a turnstile it’s no surprise their backcourt can’t defend.

Everyone knew their defense would regress.  I'm sure some hoped it would regress less than it has, but thems the breaks.  That said, thus far the offense has been better, and there's every reason to think that it will be more effective in the playoffs than the regular season (Lillard's game is well suited for the playoffs).  So...why the panic move?  Very curious. 

Probably because of Giannis. TBH I always thought it was weird they kept Middleton. He seemed like the more obvious dude to trade even if they had to give up a bit more to do so, and then try to bring in a defensive wing that doesn't care about only scoring 5-7 points a game. 

15 hours ago, Maithanet said:

So...why the panic move?  Very curious. 

The Ringer has a list of grievances. Not sure how accurate it is though.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/23/24048664/milwaukee-bucks-fire-adrian-griffin-doc-rivers-rumors

Anyway, there is no guarantee that changing coaches will fix things. Look at Atlanta. Snyder had a decent resume from his Utah stint, but not sure there was any improvement.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm pleased for Westbrook, he seems to be thriving in his role, good for him putting his ego and paycheck behind trying to win a ring.  

Westbrook's athleticism has undeniably declined.  Combine that with the game generally moving away from his skill set, and the second half of his career has looked dramatically different from the first.  But that said, he's never been a "team cancer" kinda guy.  Yes, he's very ball dominant, which can get in the way, but it's very hard to completely give up the thing that made you a star. 

I was hoping he'd win a ring right up until LAC brought in Harden.  Now...ugh.  I don't think I can bring myself to root for them. 

It was always unfair to call him a cancer. I'm not sure any of his coaches or teammates ever said that about him. He was just a bad three point shooter as the game moved more in that direction. Younger Westbrook was totally unstoppable in the midrange when he was on, crashing down the court then pulling up. He was a legit top 5 player for a period. The Thunder with him, KD and Harden for me will always be the biggest "what if?" And they also had Ibaka. Just looked it up and that roster was fucking loaded. There were a ton of solid role players on it as well.