NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All nba 3rd team and all defensive 1st team puts you 15-25 at absolute worst. 

Simmons would need to improve upon his previous abilities in order to achieve an all-NBA team again.  That is because of the league moving away from Simmons skillset, the league getting deeper, and (most importantly) Simmons needing to have a team built around highlighting him and putting the ball in his hands in order to be effective.  Philly was willing to do that, and he got an All-NBA spot, and then Philly flamed out in the playoffs because that offensive skillset doesn't really work in the playoffs.  Will another team really want to make Simmons the #1 ballhandler?  Because that's a pretty risky move given his career thus far.  And he's demonstrated pretty clearly that without the ball he is an absolute disaster on offense, to the point where you barely need to cover him at all. 

Could Simmons find a team willing to make him their primary ballhandler?  Maybe, but I personally doubt it, even if he seems to be physically and mentally back to his 2020 self.  It would be a huge gamble, and teams are usually pretty risk averse on that kind of thing.  A lot more likely is Simmons sharing ballhandling duties or leading the bench unit and subbing in on defense whenever possible.  Neither of those roles are ever going to result in Simmons being All-NBA, but he could still have another 5-8 years in the league as a valuable contributor.  Barring Simmons not just returning but improving his game, that feels like the best case scenario for him. 

Edited by Maithanet

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All nba 3rd team and all defensive 1st team puts you 15-25 at absolute worst. 

Yesterday's price isn't today's. His current ceiling is a taller version of Draymond without the ability to rally his team.

ETA: Then there's the underlying problem from the outside looking in that he doesn't seem to care that much about the sport. I've never been a fan of the mindset that an athlete has to only care about the sport they play, it's good to have other interests and be a more rounded person, but Simmons seems to treat basketball like it's just a job that pays well and he's good at it. I wouldn't trust that going forward when he's on the decline at a time he should be peaking. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I know nothing about basketball but I don't know how Ben Simmons is going to recover from Maya Jama breaking off their engagement to get back with Stormzy. Just fully got put in the rebound bin. 

Never heard of her, but hot damn!

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

A lot more likely is Simmons sharing ballhandling duties or leading the bench unit and subbing in on defense whenever possible.  Neither of those roles are ever going to result in Simmons being All-NBA, but he could still have another 5-8 years in the league as a valuable contributor.  Barring Simmons not just returning but improving his game, that feels like the best case scenario for him. 

Yeah.  I understand where BFC is coming from, but I have to agree with this kind of middle-ground regarding Simmons' BCS moving forward.  One thing I'd emphasize is Simmons as the primary ballhandler - even when he was being named to All-NBA teams - wasn't that dominant.  His usage rate actually peaked his rookie year at 22.3% and went down to about 20 the last two years before everything went to shit.  It not like we're talking about peak-Westbrook here.

In that way, he can certainly carve out a role as a super tall Markelle Fultz.  When healthy (huge caveat), Fultz is still a very useful player.  But since coming back from his latest injury a few weeks ago he hasn't even attempted a three point shot.  Hell, I watch every Magic game and I don't think Fultz has attempted a shot outside of 10 feet since coming back.

But, he's still found a way to be productive, efficient and helping the team compete.  That's probably the best case scenario for Simmons - plus, ya know, half a foot taller.  Is that a top 50 player in the league?  Maybe on the back end, but yeah there's just too many amazing players to think his production would ever be top 25 again.

Yeah, if he doesn't improve, its hard to imagine him getting an All-Star or All-NBA again. Lowering the bar further, he might not even get the max now, given the more punitive restrictions for going over the cap. He was good, but its not like he was Giannis.

4 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Embiid looks like he got hurt again. 

Hes such a stud but you can about set your watch to some random, nagging, injury dogging him consistently.

The NBA is a meat grinder for all but the very most fortunate physiques. Some guys are just always gonna break.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

it must be said that i personally probably greatly over value/other people under value defence (not sure which it is). 

Thing with Simmons, im never gonna confident in a guy with back issues like his. That condition never really seems to go away completely, it will revisit him again im confident in predicting.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

it must be said that i personally probably greatly over value/other people under value defence (not sure which it is). 

The Wolves 4th or 5th best player is Jaden McDaniels and he is the same size as Simmons and is every bit as versatile of a defender on a much better contract and he can space the floor and attack the rim. I'd much rather have him than Simmons. A lot of guys on the list I linked (McDaniels was 74) that can defend at a high level and offer more value on offense. 

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Hes such a stud but you can about set your watch to some random, nagging, injury dogging him consistently.

The NBA is a meat grinder for all but the very most fortunate physiques. Some guys are just always gonna break.

It is weird that the guy who has maybe the best combination of size and strength always gets hurt, but then again the same dude is also maybe the biggest flopper in the league. Giannis would never do the nonsense Embiid does. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, BigFatCoward said:

He does seem to just very quietly go about his business, exactly the sort of player i appreciate (in all sports).  

The top 4 in the West are pretty inseparable now. i have no idea who comes out of there (i'd guess that Denver or LA due to having players with championship/big game experience). 

Its going to be very tight between those 4 teams yes, which is exciting.

And I still dont count a great run from the Suns and Lakers, so that is 6 potential finalists. But those top 4 look rock solid.

For me, Denver still slight favorite. 

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

And Simmons is out tonight with a knee injury. 

Well quite. 

Luka needs to get out of Dallas, they seem to have no idea how to build a team around him. Almost all other top 10 players have a potential route to the finals/title (except Steph whos at least had his time in the sun). But Dallas are wildly inconsistent. 

When Luka rests they lose by about 70

Also, don't mind a tribute video, a bit cringe but whatever, but for the Lillard's of the world, not the Durrant's. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 1/19/2024 at 4:28 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Stats wise he is better than Holmgren for the season already, i'm just saying if (and i think he will) he keeps his development up he has a far better stat line than Holmgren by the end of the season. 

Apart from his 3pt % his shooting is ok, last 10 games he is 53% and 87% FT. 

I just struggle to understand MVP style voting, everywhere else its just the best player, who plays for who, and how good the team is is irrelevant.

Ben just put out a video that demonstrates your thesis on the step-function improvement over the last month.