Marvel's Multiverse of Maddening Returns

Myrddin

On 12/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The culimnating episode of this season feels like we missed a part of the story.

On 12/30/2023 at 2:09 PM, sifth said:

I agree, it feels very rushed.

Indeed, the build up to this finale didn't quite work as in season 1. Who was the big guy with the green sword that Peggy uses later?

14 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Wait does “What if” have season long story arcs? I always thought it was like a version of The Twilight Zone where every episode is completely unrelated.

Some episodes have short events designed to bring some of the characters we meet together in the season finale. Other than that each episode has a self contained story. And the Watcher is a common denominator.

Finished up What If and it was definitely...something. The Hela ep was the best by a large margin for me, with Die Hard being the next best, but most of it fell pretty flat and went way too up its own ass quite a bit.

Also I feel like they found out that Captain Carter was a hit, so they just threw her in to almost anything and everything they could. And I like her! But I don't need 3 of the eps to feature her so prominently. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I had to read that twice. For a second I thought it was "Hire this guy."

This is so going to happen. Search your feelings... Three thousand...

Is the series director Patton Oswalt from Parks and Rec by any chance?

Also, yes, please kill this idea with fire.

24 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh, yeah. The Marvels finished its domestic run on Tuesday. $84.5 million domestic. 

I suspect it'll quietly be released on D+ by the end of the month. 

Oof.

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Right? 

It certainly isn't the only film to bomb last year, but has a sequel to a billion dollar film ever performed this poorly? This is kind of unprecedented.  

Nearly every comic book movie bombed in 2023. I really hope this will mark the decline, if not end, of comic book movies. I hope.

22 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Nearly every comic book movie bombed in 2023. I really hope this will mark the decline, if not end, of comic book movies. I hope.

Yeah, but how many of them were a sequel to a billion dollar film and flopped this badly? We're legit in Green Lantern territory here. Hell, even Aquaman 2 still has the potential to hit a half-way respectable number if the overseas numbers hold up.

I may have found one that was worse:

According to the-numbers, Grease's inflation adjusted global number was $1.7 billion. Take that with a grain of salt because I don't know how much faith to have in overseas ticket price inflation over 40 years. Nonetheless, over a billion in new money. 

Grease 2's adjusted number is $51 million. That's domestic. There's no overseas number listed. If you assume a similar domestic/int'l split to the first movie, it'd be around $120 million. 

I just remember the "Let's do it for our country" song. I don't know which one that's from. Damn horny teenagers with their hormones and patriotism and such. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?