Marvel's Multiverse of Maddening Returns

Myrddin

44 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'll just go on record and say, I loved GotG vol 3. The entire film is James Gunn just showing how he's the most creative mind in the whole MCU.

I rewatched it a few days ago and I think that it is far ahead of any other superhero film released this year aside from Across The Spiderverse (and at least GOTG3 has an ending). Probably GOTG1 is still better, but I'd say 3 is better than 2.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

This has got to be a PR nightmare for Disney and possibly one of the biggest screw ups for the MCU as a whole. Does nobody vet these actors, before giving them multi film deals? Also does Disney still have to pay Majors, for the two films, he will not be staring in? He signed a multi film contract after all.

I think he can be fired for cause. 

Also, how people react when they get money and fame is not always super predictable, especially when you introduce drugs and alcohol into the mix. 

I don't think you can just drop the Kang "plot" and pretend it never happened.  But...you could make the first 15-20 minutes of the next Avengers movie about it.  Show the Avengers (whoever the "Avengers" are at this point) going into the Quantum realm to face off with Kang.  They find him, with a recast actor...have some cheesy dialogue - "Is that him?"  "Yeah....sometimes he looks the same, sometimes different, but that's Kang Prime (or whatever), alright..."  The fight him, defeat him...some mumbo jumbo about how that's killed ALL the Kangs, and the multiverse starts separating permanently.  Maybe even have some big cameos. Tony Stark and Cap from other timelines back for the big battle, etc.  But then the multiverse closes.  That's it...no more Kang, no more multiverse stuff...which I honestly think people are just tired of.

Then you move into the main plot of the movie, which introduces Dr. Doom or whoever as the next big bad. 

Or maybe that's all the next Dr. Strange movie (which would be a pseudo-Avengers movie, like Civil War was).  <shrug>

Just now, HokieStone said:

I don't think you can just drop the Kang "plot" and pretend it never happened.  But...you could make the first 15-20 minutes of the next Avengers movie about it. 

Why not just recast the actor and do the same thing? Recasting Kang is absurdly easy to justify and do when the main series he was on had absurd amounts of incredibly different looking variants all over the place. They dealt with the Earth 616 version; all they need to do now is say that THIS Kang is from an alternate version and is threatening to discover the multiverse. 

Now, if you don't want to do the Kang arc because everything's a mess and fucked up and it's all trash right now anyway that's fine - but there's no need to throw it away just because of the actor. 

Also, at least right now any Kang arc has been basically resolved with Loki Season 2 and Ant Man 3. They don't need to do anything more with him if they don't want to. While Ant Man 3 had all the Kangs, Loki S2 basically retroactively changed all of that and wiped out every single one of those versions (or at least we can say it happened that way).

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Just recast, let's not pretend this is the first time the MCU had to do it.

Terrence Howard is probably available.

….Too soon?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I saw Thor 4 and GotG 3 in the cinema and they have both made me very wary of dropping future money on MCU films at the cinema. Those should have been slam-dunks.

I thank the gods I didn’t spend moneys on Thor 4. Yeesh.

and GotG 3?” Haven’t seen it. Honestly, the clips didn’t entice me but it’s on my list for next week. I thought that movie was supposed to be great(?)

They didn't recast Jeremy Renner, even when he begged them to. 

Renner married Sonni Pacheco in 2014 and the pair had a daughter, Ava, before separating less than a year later, citing “irreconcilable differences.” Their divorce was finalized in 2015, with the pair agreeing to a joint-custody agreement. Then, in 2019, amid a custody battle (and following the downfall of the Jeremy Renner app), Pacheco publicly accused Renner of a series of violent behaviors toward her and their daughter.

According to ET, Renner allegedly repeatedly threatened to kill Pacheco and himself, even putting a gun in is mouth and then firing it into the ceiling one night while Ava slept. In court documents acquired by the outlet, Pacheco alleges that in a separate incident, a nanny overheard Renner say he was going to Pacheco’s house to kill her and then himself, because “it was better that Ava had no parents than to have her as a mother.”

The documents also claim Renner has an ongoing history of substance abuse and that he was under the influence around his daughter, in addition to having cocaine within her reach at his home.

Yeah, I had some issues with Loki  season 2 but one thing you have to give the writers is that they elegantly set up a situation where Disney could either drop Kang or continue with him depending on the outcome of this case. 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

it felt a bit phoned-in, like Gunn was like, "Well you guys fired me and the reasons were pretty dubious, so I'm just riding my contract here, fuck you and I'm off to DC. Good luck with that Star Lord solo film."

No idea where you are getting this idea, feels like you watched a completely different movie. It’s probably the only phase 4 movie that doesn’t feel totally phoned in. Gunn clearly cares about GotG and the characters and it shows and he went out of his way to resolve arcs and make the team feel a cohesive unit. 

As for Kang, I suspect they wanted Kang to resolve the multiverse issue and prevent it haunting future movies. They can use Loki to fix the problem but again it’s relying on a show few people watched to maintain interest and that isn’t going to work. 

Also I wonder what Kangs involvement in Secret Wars was going to be.

My head canon puts GotG3 as the epilogue of Phase 3. It wraps up those characters and their arcs. It's the only post-Endgame movie I've bought. Actually, I did buy Spider-man too.

I watched the behind the scenes features for GotG3. It was interesting to hear Gunn breakdown the trilogy into Mother, Father, and Self. The father theme was obvious for vol2, but I hadn't really thought about Mother being a theme in the first one. I thought of them all as orphans, so I guess mother-less. 

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Terrence Howard is probably available.

….Too soon?

I've seen John Boyega has been mooted and that's a pretty good shout. Someone the same age with a similar facility for intense drama and comedy.

I've seen a lot of casting choices that are highly illogical (for people far, far too old etc), even given that other Kang variants don't necessarily need to look anything like Meyers, or even human.

I thank the gods I didn’t spend moneys on Thor 4. Yeesh.

and GotG 3?” Haven’t seen it. Honestly, the clips didn’t entice me but it’s on my list for next week. I thought that movie was supposed to be great(?)

Thor 4 is outright terrible, GotG 3 is just okay-to-mediocre-ish. It's okay if you want to round off the character arcs from GotG 1/2 and the Avengers movies (and the Christmas special from last year, which was fun).

Edited by Werthead

If the look doesn't matter bring in 40 different actors and let them all be Kang.  Say some unknown mysterious person (ie. Doom) made a counterstroke that altered all the timelines, and Kang is less of a threat and can be defeated, but that put control of the timelines into that person's hands.

Edited by SpaceChampion

4 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

If the look doesn't matter bring in 40 different actors and let them all be Kang.  Say some unknown mysterious person (ie. Doom) made a counterstroke that altered all the timelines, and Kang is less of a threat and can be defeated, but that put control of the timelines into that person's hands.

Or just have the ending of Loki season 2, be the reason for his new face or don’t mention it at all.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I've seen John Boyega has been mooted and that's a pretty good shout. Someone the same age with a similar facility for intense drama and comedy.

Boyega is good and all but he doesn’t come close to what Majors had. That’s the problem, Majors was a unique personality, he was literally the USP for Kang. Without him you really don’t have much to go on, he’s just another cookie cutter villain. 

Yeah I don't think Majors is irreplaceable because there are talented actors out there, but it's not easy and I don't see Boyega or most of the other names big names being bandied about currently being the dude. 

(a lot of the lists currently being put out are made up mostly of 'currently popular black actors' regardless of if they have any similarity to Majors as a screen presence, which is irritating) 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

(a lot of the lists currently being put out are made up mostly of 'currently popular black actors' regardless of if they have any similarity to Majors as a screen presence, which is irritating) 

True but it’s not like they are going to replace Majors with a white guy. Imagine that scenario! 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

rue but it’s not like they are going to replace Majors with a white guy.

I'm not suggesting that they should, just that there are more black guys out there than the guys already starring in blockbusters. 

Like one of the names I'm most consistently seeing thrown out there is John David Washington. Like, come on.

Or LaKeith Stanfield, who I think probably is as good an actor as Majors, but nothing like him. 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not suggesting that they should, just that there are more black guys out there than the guys already starring in blockbusters. 

Like one of the names I'm most consistently seeing thrown out there is John David Washington. Like, come on.

Or LaKeith Stanfield, who I think probably is as good an actor as Majors, but nothing like him. 

Well my point is that what Majors brought to the role was his personality and charisma, so they should be looking for actors with those qualities, regardless of race. Of course they won’t do that. 

In reality though I think Majors is irreplaceable in the way that RDJ was as Tony Stark. They might find someone else to play Kang, but Majors had a unique voice that you won’t get somewhere else.

Edited by Heartofice

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

In reality though I think Majors is irreplaceable in the way that RDJ was as Tony Stark. They might find someone else to play Kang, but Majors had a unique voice that you won’t get somewhere else.

Majors is a very gifted actor. He's one of those rare performers that commands your attention in about any role. Any one who steps into the Kang role is going to have a hard time stepping up.