Personally I think it’d be an absolute waste by GRRM to…

Maegor_the_Cool

Have Euron die in Oldtown. His potential as a character is incredible. IMO he is the only character in ASOIAF that could have the staying power to rival characters like Sauron, Darth Vader, etc. I think having a dark lord villain would be good for the series. IIRC GRRM has even said he regrets not having a Night King (from the show) character in the books. I think Euron would be perfect for that.

2 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Oh, I agree. I think he's so entertaining. I'm really interested to see how his fate will impact the story. He has to have his big moment of "glory" before it's taken from him, so maybe he will survive Oldtown and die elsewhere after wreaking further havoc.

I hope he ends up leading the Others as the New Nights King, and is killed by Daenerys.

5 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

There's evil and then there's raping your brothers. Far as I'm concerned Euron can't be killed off fast enough.

And there's also mutilating and killing your own children to Euron's list of reasons why he should be forced to drink manticore blood and survive several months but just for him to suffer hell like the Mountain did.

I assume that if mr. Martin really wants to tell whole story in (2?) more books he would have to somehow get rid of too many players and plotlines. So it is possible that Euron and (F?) Aegon will die very soon. After all if they were too successful their stories would steal time and words from other stories.

17 hours ago, _Rhaegar_Targaryen_ said:

IMO he is the only character in ASOIAF that could have the staying power to rival characters like Sauron, Darth Vader, etc.  I think having a dark lord villain would be good for the series. IIRC GRRM has even said he regrets not having a Night King (from the show) character in the books.

It's far too easy, and far to cliche, to have an wicked black-dressed lord who is responsible for all the evil in the world.

George has said that shades of grey are much more interesting, and I agree with him. As I see it, the potential descend into darkness of Tyrion or Danaerys will be much more interesting to read than the deeds of an overblown evil character that has been needlessly cruel since its introduction.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

It's far too easy, and far to cliche, to have an wicked black-dressed lord who is responsible for all the evil in the world.

George has said that shades of grey are much more interesting, and I agree with him. As I see it, the potential descend into darkness of Tyrion or Danaerys will be much more interesting to read than the deeds of an overblown evil character that has been needlessly cruel since its introduction.

There is nothing grey in Euron, he murdered three brothers and is doing things to Fralia Flowers, his crew has no tongue and I wonder what he means when he states he wishes to "marry" Daenerys 

13 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

There is nothing grey in Euron, he murdered three brothers and is doing things to Fralia Flowers, his crew has no tongue and I wonder what he means when he states he wishes to "marry" Daenerys 

GRRM has a wide moral spectrum, with a few characters being solid black, or so dark a gray as to make no difference. Euron is one such character. But that's all the reason not to make him the central big bad of the story. I agree with @The hairy bear; that's not at all interesting to me.

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

I find Euron ....less compelling than like Tyrion's decent into evil or Cersei being herself, or Jon Connington as a potential villain (Like, honestly, he keeps repeatedly saying he wants to be more like Tywin...I think JonCon could easily be the villain of TWoW more than Euron). As to why I don't like Euron : 

1. As others mentioned here, he raped his brothers (who were children). 

2. He mutilated his own children. 

3. His motivations are not relatable at all in any universe. 

I hope he dies mid TWoW, I have no interest in him being some big new bad. As I said, I think JonCon is much more intriguing as a new central bad guy. You also still have Ramsay/Roose, Cersei is veyr much still alive, and Petyr Baelish is still alive. Also, Stannis might murder his daughter. I don't want that to happen, but I do think there is set up for it to potentially happen. If it does, I don't know how he wouldn't be a villain at that point. 

1 minute ago, KingAerys_II said:

Indeed I believe he is going to play a central role as a villain, it's clear in one of Moqorro visions

He can play a pivotal role as a third act villain, without being a central villain, ie, the Big Bad of the story.

If he's the one who unleashes the Long Night and allows the Others to descend upon Westeros, that's a huge deal for the plot. I would be perfectly fine with him dying or going mad after that point, and I certainly don't want him to act like the Night King from the show. That's not the story I believe that I've been reading.  

2 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

If it does, I don't know how he wouldn't be a villain at that point. 

Isn't Stannis already set down on the path of the villain by murdering his brother? He is not only a kinslayer, but also a kinslayer via witchcraft. The Fot7 would have his head for this - maybe both heads, castrate him first then decapitate him.

23 hours ago, _Rhaegar_Targaryen_ said:

Have Euron die in Oldtown. His potential as a character is incredible. IMO he is the only character in ASOIAF that could have the staying power to rival characters like Sauron, Darth Vader, etc. I think having a dark lord villain would be good for the series. IIRC GRRM has even said he regrets not having a Night King (from the show) character in the books. I think Euron would be perfect for that.

I suspect Oldtown is a feint anyway. Draw forces away from King's Landing and then take the capital unawares.

3 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I find Euron ....less compelling than like Tyrion's decent into evil or Cersei being herself, or Jon Connington as a potential villain (Like, honestly, he keeps repeatedly saying he wants to be more like Tywin...I think JonCon could easily be the villain of TWoW more than Euron). As to why I don't like Euron : 

1. As others mentioned here, he raped his brothers (who were children). 

2. He mutilated his own children. 

3. His motivations are not relatable at all in any universe. 

I hope he dies mid TWoW, I have no interest in him being some big new bad. As I said, I think JonCon is much more intriguing as a new central bad guy. You also still have Ramsay/Roose, Cersei is veyr much still alive, and Petyr Baelish is still alive. Also, Stannis might murder his daughter. I don't want that to happen, but I do think there is set up for it to potentially happen. If it does, I don't know how he wouldn't be a villain at that point. 

Has JonCon ever done anything evil?