FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

Oscar nominations are scheduled for tomorrow and I thought I could write about how main categories will go, possible snubs and surprises... I will focus on above-the-line categories: Picture, Directing 4 acting categories, 2 screenplay categories. So, here we go (doing them alphabetically, the predicted winner bolded and underlined)

PICTURE

Spoiler
  • American Fiction
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone of Interest

This lineup seems rather solid for me. I can't see anyone else surprising - perhaps Across the Spider-Verse, All of Us Strangers, The Color Purple or Saltburn, but all of those movies have more going against them than for them. Who could miss? The Zone of Interest and Past Lives seem most vulnerable. Personally, I wish industry didn't like MAESTRO as they did as I find it rather uninspiring, but it is what it is. 

DIRECTOR

Spoiler
  • Greta Gerwig, BARBIE
  • Jonathan Glazer, THE ZONE OF INTEREST
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, POOR THINGS
  • Christopher Nolan, OPPENHEIMER
  • Martin Scorsese, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

Again, I have difficulties seeing anyone else breaking in here. Alexander Payne (THE HOLDOVERS), Justine Triet (ANATOMY OF A FALL) and Celine Song (PAST LIVES) are most likely to surprise. Most likely snubs are Gerwig, Glazer perhaps or even Scorsese, but I doubt he'll miss. I doubt Academy will do all-male lineup in a year with three prominent female directors' movies getting into Best Picture with numerous above-the-line nominations, but you never know. 

LEAD ACTRESS

Spoiler
  • Lily Gladstone, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Sandra Huller, ANATOMY OF A FALL
  • Carey Mulligan, MAESTRO
  • Margot Robbie, BARBIE
  • Emma Stone, POOR THINGS

This category has been a hot topic for years (especially the last one), but this year, it seems that despite being extremely competitive, the Top 5 naturally emerged. I am mostly happy with this lineup, Robbie is not someone I would nominate but she did a great work with BARBIE, she hit all the precursors, so it is expected for her to be nominated. Possible snubs are Mulligan and Huller, but I doubt given their movies are expected to be nominated in Best Picture, among other places. Surprises, well there are many - Annette Bening (NYAD), Greta Lee (PAST LIVES), Fantasia Barrino (THE COLOR PURPLE). Last few weeks, there seems to be a grassroot campaign led by Frances Fisher for Aunjaune Ellis-Taylor (ORIGIN), but I feel that ship has sailed. 

LEAD ACTOR

Spoiler
  • Bradley Cooper, MAESTRO
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Paul Giamatti, THE HOLDOVERS
  • Cillian Murphy, OPPENHEIMER
  • Jeffrey Wright, AMERICAN FICTION

Again, this is a rather solid lineup, all five being the leads of expected Best Picture nominated movies. The possible snub - Leonardo DiCaprio, but Leo in Scorsese movie doesn't scream snub for me. Possible surprises - Colman Domingo (RUSTIN). Andrew Scott (ALL OF US STRANGERS) would be an inspiring choice, but he missed even BAFTA after his co-stars managed to get in, so I doubt it can happen. 

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Spoiler
  • Emily Blunt, OPPENHEIMER
  • Danielle Brooks, THE COLOR PURPLE
  • Penelope Cruz, FERRARI
  • Rosamund Pike, SALTBURN
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, THE HOLDOVERS

This category needs a lot of explanation as it is a total chaos. Randolph is the predicted sweeper, so no surprises there. Blunt is expected to be in OPPENHEIMER package, not to mention that she is overdue for a nomination. And those two are the only "locks". The rest is bloodbath. Danielle Brooks appeared everywhere so she is expected to be nominated, despite THE COLOR PURPLE underperforming. Then we have Penelope Cruz who should never, ever be underestimated. Cruz seems to have the performance, but not many have seen it. That said, Cruz appeared at SAG out of nowhere, suggesting that acting branch saw the movie and liked what they have seen. Form what I hear, she is phenomenal and even win-competitive. Rosamund Pike is one of my favorite actresses so this one is a bit subjective, but Variety reported that anonymous ballots showed a lot of love for SALTBURN, she appeared at BAFTA and Globes, so she may happen. She is most likely (in my lineup) not to appear in Top 5, but I keep her out of love and devotion.

Possible surprises... Again, too many: Jodie Foster (NYAD), Julianne Moore (MAY DECEMBER), Sandra Huller (THE ZONE OF INTEREST) and America Ferrera (BARBIE). Foster seems most likely to be nominated, as it would be "welcome back" nomination but NYAD is such uninspiring movie and if Benning is missing, it is hard to be sole nominee. Moore certainly deserves a nomination, but MAY DECEMBER really struggles with industry. Huller may become the double nominee and honestly, it would be glorious. Given both PGA and DGA nominations for THE ZONE OF INTEREST, it may happen. Lastly, Ferrera may get in with BARBIE pack of nominations. Honestly, I don't like it.  It is so JLC-coded, but I understand how these things work. Sadly, two actresses with zero chances and yet brilliant performances are: Claire Foy (ALL OF US STRANGERS) and Taraji P. Henson (THE COLOR PURPLE). If by some hail Mary miracle, one of these gets nominated, it would certainly be one of the most inspiring choices for Academy. 

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Spoiler
  • Robert De Niro, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Robert Downey Jr, OPPENHEIMER
  • Ryan Gosling, BARBIE
  • Charles Melton, MAY DECEMBER
  • Mark Ruffalo, POOR THINGS

The category features some of Hollywood and industry giants so I don't expect many surprises here. Obviously the weakest one is Melton, who in my opinion, gave supporting performance of the year. I really hope Academy won't snub him in their usual "slap the stud" manner. Possible surprises: William Defoe (POOR THINGS). Now, Defoe wouldn't exactly be a surprise, but between him and Ruffalo, I suppose Mark has bigger chances. It should be noted that Ruffalo missed both BAFTA and SAG, while Dafoe got SAG nomination. However, POOR THINGS isn't exactly type of movie that would get 2 acting noms in one category, so while it is possible for both of them to be nominated, I expect only one will get in Top 5. 

Other possible surprises include: Dominic Sessa (THE HOLDOVERS) whose film debut was truly outstanding. Him getting in would also mean that THE HOLDOVERS is much stronger contender than we thought it is. Sterling K. Brown (AMERICAN FICTION) may also surprise. 

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Spoiler
  • AMERICAN FICTION
  • BARBIE
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • POOR THINGS
  • OPPENHEIMER

Since Writing branch of Academy moved BARBIE from its desired category of competing in Original Screenplay to Adapted Screenplay, we have a race in Original, but rather solid lineup in Adapted Screenplay. Not sure which screenplay may miss here, possibly KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON (it missed at BAFTA) but I honestly doubt it. Who may surprise? THE ZONE OF INTEREST. The last few weeks, we have seen a real surge in THE ZONE OF INTEREST Oscar chances. WGA nominations are expected after the Oscar nominations, so we don't exactly have the best precursor to make educated guesses.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Spoiler
  • ANATOMY OF A FALL
  • THE HOLDOVERS
  • MAESTRO
  • MAY DECEMBER
  • PAST LIVES

Since BARBIE moved to Adapted Screenplay category (not exactly surprising knowing AMPAS rulebook) we have a race here, in terms of who may win. However, for nomination phase, things are rather set. ANATOMY OF A FALL got big push with win at the Globes, and excluding MAY DECEMBER, which was longlisted, all four of these were nominated at BAFTA. At CCA, BARBIE won, but as was said, that doesn't help us. Who may miss? MAESTRO, but highly unlikely. Who may surprise? SALTBURN appears here, with few other places below the line, it may also signify that Academy liked it and who knows, perhaps it gets in Best Picture. But, that's just a faint possibility. 

So... Those were my predictions... Hope to see yours, too! 

53 minutes ago, Mladen said:

Oscar nominations are scheduled for tomorrow and I thought I could write about how main categories will go, possible snubs and surprises... I will focus on above-the-line categories: Picture, Directing 4 acting categories, 2 screenplay categories. So, here we go (doing them alphabetically, the predicted winner bolded and underlined)

PICTURE

Hide contents
  • American Fiction
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone of Interest

This lineup seems rather solid for me. I can't see anyone else surprising - perhaps Across the Spider-Verse, All of Us Strangers, The Color Purple or Saltburn, but all of those movies have more going against them than for them. Who could miss? The Zone of Interest and Past Lives seem most vulnerable. Personally, I wish industry didn't like MAESTRO as they did as I find it rather uninspiring, but it is what it is. 

DIRECTOR

Hide contents
  • Greta Gerwig, BARBIE
  • Jonathan Glazer, THE ZONE OF INTEREST
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, POOR THINGS
  • Christopher Nolan, OPPENHEIMER
  • Martin Scorsese, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

Again, I have difficulties seeing anyone else breaking in here. Alexander Payne (THE HOLDOVERS), Justine Triet (ANATOMY OF A FALL) and Celine Song (PAST LIVES) are most likely to surprise. Most likely snubs are Gerwig, Glazer perhaps or even Scorsese, but I doubt he'll miss. I doubt Academy will do all-male lineup in a year with three prominent female directors' movies getting into Best Picture with numerous above-the-line nominations, but you never know. 

LEAD ACTRESS

Hide contents
  • Lily Gladstone, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Sandra Huller, ANATOMY OF A FALL
  • Carey Mulligan, MAESTRO
  • Margot Robbie, BARBIE
  • Emma Stone, POOR THINGS

This category has been a hot topic for years (especially the last one), but this year, it seems that despite being extremely competitive, the Top 5 naturally emerged. I am mostly happy with this lineup, Robbie is not someone I would nominate but she did a great work with BARBIE, she hit all the precursors, so it is expected for her to be nominated. Possible snubs are Mulligan and Huller, but I doubt given their movies are expected to be nominated in Best Picture, among other places. Surprises, well there are many - Annette Bening (NYAD), Greta Lee (PAST LIVES), Fantasia Barrino (THE COLOR PURPLE). Last few weeks, there seems to be a grassroot campaign led by Frances Fisher for Aunjaune Ellis-Taylor (ORIGIN), but I feel that ship has sailed. 

LEAD ACTOR

Hide contents
  • Bradley Cooper, MAESTRO
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Paul Giamatti, THE HOLDOVERS
  • Cillian Murphy, OPPENHEIMER
  • Jeffrey Wright, AMERICAN FICTION

Again, this is a rather solid lineup, all five being the leads of expected Best Picture nominated movies. The possible snub - Leonardo DiCaprio, but Leo in Scorsese movie doesn't scream snub for me. Possible surprises - Colman Domingo (RUSTIN). Andrew Scott (ALL OF US STRANGERS) would be an inspiring choice, but he missed even BAFTA after his co-stars managed to get in, so I doubt it can happen. 

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Hide contents
  • Emily Blunt, OPPENHEIMER
  • Danielle Brooks, THE COLOR PURPLE
  • Penelope Cruz, FERRARI
  • Rosamund Pike, SALTBURN
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, THE HOLDOVERS

This category needs a lot of explanation as it is a total chaos. Randolph is the predicted sweeper, so no surprises there. Blunt is expected to be in OPPENHEIMER package, not to mention that she is overdue for a nomination. And those two are the only "locks". The rest is bloodbath. Danielle Brooks appeared everywhere so she is expected to be nominated, despite THE COLOR PURPLE underperforming. Then we have Penelope Cruz who should never, ever be underestimated. Cruz seems to have the performance, but not many have seen it. That said, Cruz appeared at SAG out of nowhere, suggesting that acting branch saw the movie and liked what they have seen. Form what I hear, she is phenomenal and even win-competitive. Rosamund Pike is one of my favorite actresses so this one is a bit subjective, but Variety reported that anonymous ballots showed a lot of love for SALTBURN, she appeared at BAFTA and Globes, so she may happen. She is most likely (in my lineup) not to appear in Top 5, but I keep her out of love and devotion.

Possible surprises... Again, too many: Jodie Foster (NYAD), Julianne Moore (MAY DECEMBER), Sandra Huller (THE ZONE OF INTEREST) and America Ferrera (BARBIE). Foster seems most likely to be nominated, as it would be "welcome back" nomination but NYAD is such uninspiring movie and if Benning is missing, it is hard to be sole nominee. Moore certainly deserves a nomination, but MAY DECEMBER really struggles with industry. Huller may become the double nominee and honestly, it would be glorious. Given both PGA and DGA nominations for THE ZONE OF INTEREST, it may happen. Lastly, Ferrera may get in with BARBIE pack of nominations. Honestly, I don't like it.  It is so JLC-coded, but I understand how these things work. Sadly, two actresses with zero chances and yet brilliant performances are: Claire Foy (ALL OF US STRANGERS) and Taraji P. Henson (THE COLOR PURPLE). If by some hail Mary miracle, one of these gets nominated, it would certainly be one of the most inspiring choices for Academy. 

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Hide contents
  • Robert De Niro, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • Robert Downey Jr, OPPENHEIMER
  • Ryan Gosling, BARBIE
  • Charles Melton, MAY DECEMBER
  • Mark Ruffalo, POOR THINGS

The category features some of Hollywood and industry giants so I don't expect many surprises here. Obviously the weakest one is Melton, who in my opinion, gave supporting performance of the year. I really hope Academy won't snub him in their usual "slap the stud" manner. Possible surprises: William Defoe (POOR THINGS). Now, Defoe wouldn't exactly be a surprise, but between him and Ruffalo, I suppose Mark has bigger chances. It should be noted that Ruffalo missed both BAFTA and SAG, while Dafoe got SAG nomination. However, POOR THINGS isn't exactly type of movie that would get 2 acting noms in one category, so while it is possible for both of them to be nominated, I expect only one will get in Top 5. 

Other possible surprises include: Dominic Sessa (THE HOLDOVERS) whose film debut was truly outstanding. Him getting in would also mean that THE HOLDOVERS is much stronger contender than we thought it is. Sterling K. Brown (AMERICAN FICTION) may also surprise. 

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Hide contents
  • AMERICAN FICTION
  • BARBIE
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  • POOR THINGS
  • OPPENHEIMER

Since Writing branch of Academy moved BARBIE from its desired category of competing in Original Screenplay to Adapted Screenplay, we have a race in Original, but rather solid lineup in Adapted Screenplay. Not sure which screenplay may miss here, possibly KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON (it missed at BAFTA) but I honestly doubt it. Who may surprise? THE ZONE OF INTEREST. The last few weeks, we have seen a real surge in THE ZONE OF INTEREST Oscar chances. WGA nominations are expected after the Oscar nominations, so we don't exactly have the best precursor to make educated guesses.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Hide contents
  • ANATOMY OF A FALL
  • THE HOLDOVERS
  • MAESTRO
  • MAY DECEMBER
  • PAST LIVES

Since BARBIE moved to Adapted Screenplay category (not exactly surprising knowing AMPAS rulebook) we have a race here, in terms of who may win. However, for nomination phase, things are rather set. ANATOMY OF A FALL got big push with win at the Globes, and excluding MAY DECEMBER, which was longlisted, all four of these were nominated at BAFTA. At CCA, BARBIE won, but as was said, that doesn't help us. Who may miss? MAESTRO, but highly unlikely. Who may surprise? SALTBURN appears here, with few other places below the line, it may also signify that Academy liked it and who knows, perhaps it gets in Best Picture. But, that's just a faint possibility. 

So... Those were my predictions... Hope to see yours, too! 

I hate how boring and predictable these Oscar and Emmy races get once you've seen the other awards and general buzz, and it's not because of certain works and performances being so superior they stand out, but about seeing what/who has had the most successful campaign with the voters.

Even though I haven't seen any of the other performances that may be nominated for Supporting Actress other than Emily Blunt, I really hope America Ferrera doesn't get a nomination, because that was really not an award worthy performance. Nothing against her, but it's an underdeveloped character and her 'big moment' is the worst scene of the movie where she just randomly recites a monologue that would work really well as a Tumblr post I'd reblog, but feels so out of place and not organic at all in the movie, with no connection to her character (they could've introduced any random woman who was not a doll to make it) or the Barbies, to whom she was talking (when did they get the time to experience any of it? For the one day or whatever it was that Kens took over?).

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

I hate how boring and predictable these Oscar and Emmy races get once you've seen the other awards and general buzz, and it's not because of certain works and performances being so superior they stand out, but about seeing what/who has had the most successful campaign with the voters.

Yeah, with 4 major precursors and countless critics circle's awards, things are rather clear. That said, AMPAS can always surprise, especially given that no one has the same voting system. So, while the general sense and direction are known, there are always few surprises on Oscar nomination morning. 

One aspect that I really like of this year's race for Best Actor is how public immediately reacted against Bradley Cooper who tried to do the usual "selling" to the Academy. I don't blame him for wanting an Oscar but coming a year after Tár and Blanchett's monumental performance plus trying too hard to convince everyone that has done something no one else did, really hurt his chances. There was a sense "we will award one of our own" with Bradley that really rubbed the people the wrong way. Especially after same happened with Jamie Lee Curtis last year, a victory that aged like milk. 

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Even though I haven't seen any of the other performances that may be nominated for Supporting Actress other than Emily Blunt, I really hope America Ferrera doesn't get a nomination, because that was really not an award worthy performance. Nothing against her, but it's an underdeveloped character and her 'big moment' is the worst scene of the movie where she just randomly recites a monologue that would work really well as a Tumblr post I'd reblog, but feels so out of place and not organic at all in the movie, with no connection to her character (they could've introduced any random woman who was not a doll to make it) or the Barbies, to whom she was talking (when did they get the time to experience any of it? For the one day or whatever it was that Kens took over?).

At Gold Derby, Ferrera is known as Woman Monologue :D I know many pundits really tried to make her happen, and her campaign did that thing at CCA, but it is such a mediocre performance. It is not even about writing, but her performance is simply lacking. Her delivery of that monologue was just fine. I mean, I grew up watching James Spader in "Boston Legal" with Alan Shore giving the best closing arguments and Ferrera doesn't even come close to that. In comparison to Ferrera and BARBIE monologue, I always remember how Florence Pugh did Amy's speech about marriage in "Little Women", how natural and perfectly delivered it was. I love how Gloria's monologue is written, but delivery and yes, you are right, placement of it was off. 

The 2024 Academy Awards (AMPAS) Nominations

Spoiler

Best Picture

• American Fiction
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone of Interest

Best Director

• Justine Triet, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Martin Scorsese, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer”
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, “Poor Things”
  • Jonathan Glazer, “The Zone of Interest”

Best Lead Actress

• Annette Bening, “Nyad”
  • Lily Gladstone, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • Sandra Hüller, “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • Carey Mulligan, “Maestro”
  • Emma Stone, “Poor Things”

Best Lead Actor

• Bradley Cooper, “Maestro”
  • Colman Domingo, “Rustin”
  • Paul Giamatti, “The Holdovers”
  • Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer”
  • Jeffrey Wright, “American Fiction”

Best Supporting Actress

• Emily Blunt, “Oppenheimer”
  • Danielle Brooks, “The Color Purple”
  • America Ferrera, “Barbie”
  • Jodie Foster, “Nyad”
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers”

Best Supporting Actor

• Sterling K. Brown, “American Fiction”
  • Robert De Niro, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • Robert Downey Jr., “Oppenheimer”
  • Ryan Gosling, “Barbie”
  • Mark Ruffalo, “Poor Things”

Best Adapted Screenplay

• “American Fiction”
  • “Barbie”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”
  • “The Zone of Interest”

Best Original Screenplay

• “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • “The Holdovers”
  • “Maestro”
  • “May December”
  • “Past Lives”

Best International Feature

• “The Teachers’ Lounge,” Germany
  • “Io Capitano,” Italy
  • “Perfect Days,” Japan
  • “Society of the Snow,” Spain
  • “The Zone of Interest,” United Kingdom

Best Documentary Feature

• “Bobi Wine: The People’s President”
  • “The Eternal Memory”
  • “Four Daughters”
  • “To Kill a Tiger”
  • “20 Days in Mariupol”

Best Animated Feature

• “The Boy and the Heron”
  • “Elemental”
  • “Nimona”
  • “Robot Dreams”
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

Best Film Editing

• “Anatomy of a Fall”
  • “The Holdovers”
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”

Best Cinematography

• “El Conde”
  • “Maestro”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”

Best Visual Effects

• “The Creator”
  • “Godzilla Minus One”
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”
  • “Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One”
  • “Napoleon”

Best Production Design

• “Barbie”
  • “Napoleon”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”

Best Costume Design

• “Barbie”  
  • “Napoleon” 
  • “Oppenheimer” 
  • “Poor Things”

Best Makeup & Hairstyling

• “Golda”
  • “Maestro”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”
  • “Society of the Snow”

Best Original Song

• “The Fire Inside” from “Flamin’ Hot”
  • “I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie”
  • “It Never Went Away” from “American Symphony”
  • “Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People),” “Killers of the Flower Moon”
  • “What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie”

Best Original Score

• “American Fiction”
  • “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “Poor Things”

Best Sound

• “The Creator”
  • “Maestro”
  • “Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One”
  • “Oppenheimer”
  • “The Zone of Interest”

Best Animated Short

• “Letter to a Pig”
  • “Ninety-Five Senses”
  • “Our Uniform”
  • “Pachyderme”
  • “War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko”

Best Documentary Short

• “The ABCs of Book Banning”
  • “The Barber of Little Rock”
  • “Island In Between”
  • “The Last Repair Shop”
  • “Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó”

Best Live-Action Short

• “The After”
  • “Invincible”
  • “Knight of Fortune”
  • “Red, White and Blue”
  • “The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar”

The Oscar nomination count:

• Oppenheimer: 13
  • Poor Things: 11
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: 10
  • Barbie: 8
  • Maestro: 7
  • The Holdovers: 5
  • American Fiction: 5
  • The Zone of Interest: 5
  • Anatomy of a Fall: 5
  • Napoleon: 3
  • Nyad: 2
  • Past Lives: 2
Edited by Mladen

15 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I'm way behind on what best picture nominations I've seen. Just Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon.

I saw (all in 2023 in cinema/festivals) Poor Things, Past Lives, Killers of the Flower Moon. Oppenheimer, Barbie and Perfect Days, plus Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (visual effects).

My favorites are Poor Things and Past Lives, followed by KOTFM/Oppenheimer.

I haven't seen any of the Razzie nominees (does that make me uncool? :P)

Edited by Annara Snow

Some thoughts:

OPPENHEIMER had a great day. It is becoming undeniable as it is the only movie/director/screenplay not missing anywhere. BARBIE missed the director and actress, THE HOLDOVERS director, so I have a hard time seeing anything else winning Best Picture. Same for Nolan.

Nominating Ferrera and then snub Robbie and Gerwig is a choice. I have nothing against America, she is a brilliant activist, great speaker, truly amazing person but that performance - a big no! Especially having in mind that this is a category where we could have Julianne Moore, Rosamund Pike, Taraji P. Henson, Claire Foy, Rachel McAdams, Sandra Huller (THE ZONE OF INTEREST). It is just pity. Luckily, she can't win, so we won't repeat that cringe of JLC winning. 

Then we have Charles Melton missing. Not at all surprising but still sad. I think he gave Top 3 performance in his category. Let's hope he will get the chance to be nominated at some point in the future. 

When it comes to actress, I am sad Greta Lee missed. But count on actors to pick biopic roles and push out original ones. Can't say I am bothered by Mulligan, but Bening... That was just one boring, uninspiring choice. As for winning, Lily is in danger, because KOTF showed serious weaknesses missing Screenplay and Lead Actor. That said, Huller may be on the rise and if she wins BAFTA, given 5 nominations for ANATOMY OF A FALL, this could be three-women-race. 

Overall, solid lineup. We had history in making, as for the first time, three movies in Best Picture were nominated by female directors. 

When did they combine the previous two separate sound awards? Last year? I was getting ready to laugh if Oppenheimer got a sound mixing nod, but I guess it does have good sound overall.

The power of John Williams got Indiana Jones a nod for original score. Who knew mostly rehashed soundtracks get to be nominated.

3 hours ago, Mladen said:

The 2024 Academy Awards (AMPAS) Nominations

The Oscar nomination count:

• Oppenheimer: 13
  • Poor Things: 11
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: 10
  • Barbie: 8
  • Maestro: 7
  • The Holdovers: 5
  • American Fiction: 5
  • The Zone of Interest: 5
  • Anatomy of a Fall: 5
  • Napoleon: 3
  • Nyad: 2
  • Past Lives: 2

There's a chance Marty could go 0-10 on back-to-back films at the Oscars?

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

Some thoughts:

OPPENHEIMER had a great day. It is becoming undeniable as it is the only movie/director/screenplay not missing anywhere. BARBIE missed the director and actress, THE HOLDOVERS director, so I have a hard time seeing anything else winning Best Picture. Same for Nolan.

When it comes to actress, I am sad Greta Lee missed. But count on actors to pick biopic roles and push out original ones. Can't say I am bothered by Mulligan, but Bening... That was just one boring, uninspiring choice. As for winning, Lily is in danger, because KOTF showed serious weaknesses missing Screenplay and Lead Actor. That said, Huller may be on the rise and if she wins BAFTA, given 5 nominations for ANATOMY OF A FALL, this could be three-women-race. 

For me, it's been undeniable since the start of the awards season. Oppenheimer is well liked with no clear challenger and it doesn't seem to be polarising Academy members, so a CODA/Power of the Dog scenario is unlikely to happen here.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The power of John Williams got Indiana Jones a nod for original score. Who knew mostly rehashed soundtracks get to be nominated.

Hasn't he been getting away with this since the Star Wars sequels?

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

Does that really matter? KotFM loosing out in a competitive field shouldn't have that much of an effect on her chances. And apparently Leo has been doing more campaigning for Gladstone than for himself, so that probably a benefit for her.

37 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

There's a chance Marty could go 0-10 on back-to-back films at the Oscars?

Yeah... I think he broke a record for nominations.

37 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

For me, it's been undeniable since the start of the awards season. Oppenheimer is well liked with no clear challenger and it doesn't seem to be polarising Academy members, so a CODA/Power of the Dog scenario is unlikely to happen here.

I mean, yeah but undeniability is proven only after award season when we look back and see how were things happening.

35 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

Does that really matter? KotFM loosing out in a competitive field shouldn't have that much of an effect on her chances. And apparently Leo has been doing more campaigning for Gladstone than for himself, so that probably a benefit for her.

It could mean KOTF is weaker than we suggested. Poor Things, Emma's movies, haven't shown any weaknesses, which is also to be considered. Lily is a newcomer and Emma already an Oscar winner. Not to mention Lily's movie is not centered around her, while Emma's is. True, Leo didn't do much campaigning this year save to help Lily. She missed BAFTA, she lost CCA. If she loses SAG to Emma, that is game over. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Possibly for the first time ever, I watched more Oscar nominated pictures than Razzie nominated pictures in the year of their release. :P Oppenheimer & Barbie vs. Shazam 2. Tried watching The Meg 2 but gave up a quarter of the way.

Meg 2 gets even dumber as you slog through it (they do an ocean floor walk several miles below the surface which I'm pretty sure will instantly kill you), but yet it has a weird charm once you're done.

This year has been pretty fun for awards. There are so many deserving candidates in all the major fields. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

18 hours ago, Slurktan said:

The fact that killers of the flower moon (a movie that could have been 45 mins shorter) was nominated for best editing, is astounding.

KOTFM was just as long as it needed to be. Which 45 minutes exactly would you chop off to have the same story? 

Also a weird thing to complain about when today every superhero blockbuster is about 2 and a half hours long, and actually could be much shorter.

What is genuinely astounding is that Barbie somehow got an Adapted Screenplay over KOTF<.

Barbie was a fun summer movie, but its stans are so insufferable  and unhinged lately I've gotten sick of it, with all the whining that it got "only 8" nominations (at least two of which undeserved) rather than 10 and acting like it's the pinnacle of feminism.
But the craziest thing about this is that wasn't written about a kid on Twitter, but by a Pulitzer-winning professional critic for Los Angeles Times. (I had to check it out to see if it's real... yes, the article is real and just as bad as this makes it seem)

14 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

KOTFM was just as long as it needed to be.

I'd have cut 30, not 45, and I would have severely cut down the self-indulgent radio show re-enactment, for one thing, that went on interminably and of course Scorsese had to put himself in it. Just self-indulgent. I get the idea, could have been done much more tightly.

There's a number of other sequences where things are stretched out beyond what was needed. The whole sequence around Anna's death could have used trimming. The last third with Ernest being questioned and in jail and so on, also trimmable.

Scorsese can't make a tightly edited film to save his life any longer, and if anyone is allowed the self-indulgence it's him, but it's still self-indulgent.

35 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Barbie was a fun summer movie, but its stans are so insufferable  and unhinged lately I've gotten sick of it, with all the whining that it got "only 8" nominations (at least two of which undeserved) rather than 10 and acting like it's the pinnacle of feminism.
But the craziest thing about this is that wasn't written about a kid on Twitter, but by a Pulitzer-winning professional critic for Los Angeles Times. (I had to check it out to see if it's real... yes, the article is real and just as bad as this makes it seem)

Barbie is only getting nominated for Best Picture because of the money it made, and that is reasonable, that's definitely a consideration thats made. It doesn't deserve that nod, but otherwise most of its nominations kind of make sense. I'm sure it will win best original song, it could easily win best costume and production design. 

There is always backlash to lack of nominations for popular movies, we see it every year with superhero movies that people like from their fans. It is funny seeing the same behaviour from people you would think would be above all that.

Gerwig not getting a direction nom was a bit of a surprise to me, but not a huge one -- I feel the film excelled in a lot of other areas, and certainly she had a bold vision, but as a director she's not particularly remarkable -- never had my breath taken away by the audacity or beauty of a shot she's directed.

The biggest surprise for me, personally, was DiCaprio not being nominated in actor -- think it's the best performance by a male lead I've seen in the last year. But I've not seen American Fiction, and will watch Rustin soon, and it's been noted Leo seemed to have been downplaying himself in promotion and instead spending a lot of time talking up Lily Gladstone.

Another surprise was Emily Blunt squeaking in in Oppenheimer. I don't think there was enough meat or challenge to her role. 

41 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'd have cut 30, not 45, and I would have severely cut down the self-indulgent radio show re-enactment, for one thing, that went on interminably and of course Scorsese had to put himself in it. Just self-indulgent. I get the idea, could have been done much more tightly.

There's a number of other sequences where things are stretched out beyond what was needed. The whole sequence around Anna's death could have used trimming. The last third with Ernest being questioned and in jail and so on, also trimmable.

Scorsese can't make a tightly edited film to save his life any longer, and if anyone is allowed the self-indulgence it's him, but it's still self-indulgent.

None of these was at all trimmable, especially not the radio show, which was short. necessary as an epilogue and an interesting way to do it for multiple reasons (including how meta it is and that the radio show actually existed) instead of putting it on screen in letters.

And complaining that Scorsese is having a cameo in his own movie - something he does ALL THE TIME - is just funny.

Edited by Annara Snow

• Mladen changed the title to FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)