Talk about the weather!

It’s what Canadians do when they can’t think of anything else to talk about!

Old thread went to 21 pages, so here’s a new one. Do you want me to number it? Is it 2 or 3?

We are supposed to finally get an accumulation of snow tomorrow, 5 cm/2 in. And next week we might actually get a blizzard.

26° when I got up.  Was already below freezing when getting into our cozy comfy bed to read at 11 AM until 1 AM.  In between Partner called to whisper sweet nothings, utterly exhausted, as a couple in the Pilgrimage group for Reuta Sacra, had to return, as their daughter was going through emergency caesarian and "We are her caregivers."  Most companies would say, "Your problem."  But Partner doesn't operate that way.  Keep in mind airlines have mostly dropped most of their flight to Havana in the last year as doing business there for nearly every one is so difficult due to the US rules and regs.  So some airlines have stopped going there at all, and most have dropped to 1 - 2 - 3 flights per week, while Cubans are leaving the island in their hundreds for everywhere/anywhere.  (Since tRump and Biden have gifted Cuba to Russia, though, Russian planes come and go several times daily, bring  2 - 3 hundred passengers, many tourist - vacationers.)

Partner finally found them a way to get back to Miami sooner rather than later.

Big storm, They Say, tomorrow and Sunday.  It will be very cold, but expect rain and wind here, not much snow.  But icy slop -- dangerous for pedestrians, bikers and cars.  Also skate boarders . . . .

Gonna make a pot of chili tomorrow, when rather shut in.

Coldest winter in Sweden for many decades. Many places in the Northern country are reporting record lows of -50 C. Here in Stockholm it’s pretty bland though, -12 or so. Beautiful with all the snow. Strangely enough this coincides with higher than normal temperatures just about everywhere else in the world so these Swedish villages may right now be the coldest places on the planet. 

The mess arrived here just when They Said it would.  Not enough snow to mention here, though two days and a night of wet, wind and cold.  It will be brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, cause wet makes cold all that more penetrating.  It wasn't even that cold as a temperature early this afternoon when I set out down for the River Walk.  Wimp that I am, I came home and made hot stuff because the cold damp wind was just too much.

If memory serves today was our first 30o+ day of the season today. I'll let you think geographically about whether I'm talking F or C :P

Not an historically unexpected number for January, but for me personally I've lived most of my life in places that don't experience that kind of temperature. So I'm not a fan. Interestingly though I have not felt the need to use the heat pump at all, probably because of the low humidity.

The latest storm's rain started here about 1:30 in the afternoon.  Winds up to 70 miles per hour, They Say, are quite possible.  A great deal of rain to fall between now and Noon or so tomorrow -- particularly all around us, on ground that is already over saturated, and where the regions around us also received a great deal of snow, all of which will rapidly turn into more water as the rain falls.

I am ... a bit anxious, starting with, "Will our internet connections survive?" Will the travelers coming home from Cuba be able to get into Miami, and from there, home?" and "Will the university wind symphony students from upstate NY traveling to Miami tomorrow, to fly to Cuba the next day, be able to?"

In Manhattan the power lines are underground.  But there's expected to be a lot of flash flooding at the very least.

The rain and wind sucked pretty bad for the ride into work today, fortunately yesterday when it wasn't quite as bad I decided I would bring a spare set of clothes just in case. Came in handy. And Friday it's looking like it'll be down in the negatives and get some snow, which may mean snow day for me cause this city is not built for the snow.

In Michigan, rain, rain, and more rain.  I suppose I should be happy it's not colder since this could have all been snow.  But I hear that's coming.  Mid-January is notoriously very cold, and sure enough, that's what we're going to get in the next few days.  Before Covid, we spent the worst of it in Grand Cayman.  Almost got stranded there.  Oh, I wish we had!  

The rain is deluging -- and the temp went from 42 this morning, to 53 now, and nearly 60 degrees when the highest winds are supposed to hit us in the wee hours.  This is weird.

34 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

In Michigan, rain, rain, and more rain.  I suppose I should be happy it's not colder since this could have all been snow.  But I hear that's coming.  Mid-January is notoriously very cold, and sure enough, that's what we're going to get in the next few days.  Before Covid, we spent the worst of it in Grand Cayman.  Almost got stranded there.  Oh, I wish we had!  

Take a look at the weather report, I see we get winter next week so you must too, -8 in the day (about 17 F) and down to -15 at night, 5 F.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see we get winter next week so you must too

We get at least two more storms after this, back-to-back.  I'm never going to get to a museum!  My life is awful and I'm such a victim and treated so unfairly!  :P 

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Woooeeeeeeeeeeee do we have the Hudson Hawk, that furiously cold wind off the Hudson River that hits the island in the harshest language of January.

Never heard of the Hudson Hawk before, sounds bitter!     Brrrrrrrr...........

Yeah, our first big storm arrived yesterday and schools were closed today; we have a near-blizzard hitting most of Michigan this weekend and we'll be having arctic chills next week till late January. I think thats about the time everyone gets sick of winter and hopes for the late March thaw out.